News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Beltway on November 27, 2019, 07:27:17 PM
How about using slashes instead of hyphens in dates, and leaving out the century?

11/27/19  instead of  11-27-2019

Precisely that date format, month-day-year, is one of those "certain American customs that bother me" I believe are too much for this thread. It makes no sense, having no order. I tend to follow local usage and thus I use month-day here, but when adding the year I use this format so the date remains sorted:
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 27, 2019, 07:47:45 PM
2019-11-27.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheGrassGuy

2 ads in YouTube. Need I say more?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 28, 2019, 12:26:42 PM

I'm more ticked off that they try to restrict content now by taking away the ability to make money on videos that don't meet content requirements.  Youtube was way more fun when it was an assortment of Youtube Poops cut from 80s cartoons. 

mgk920

Me....

- Twisted up cords
- It's *soda*, dammit!   :angry:
- I agree on dates, it is YYYY-MM-DD
- People who put apostrophe's into their plural's
- Yes, use ya blinkahs!
- No, I do NOT consider an IPA, nor a 'sour', to be a legitimate beer.

Mike

Beltway

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 28, 2019, 08:14:56 AM
Quote from: Beltway on November 27, 2019, 07:27:17 PM
How about using slashes instead of hyphens in dates, and leaving out the century?
11/27/19  instead of  11-27-2019
Precisely that date format, month-day-year, is one of those "certain American customs that bother me" I believe are too much for this thread. It makes no sense, having no order. I tend to follow local usage and thus I use month-day here, but when adding the year I use this format so the date remains sorted:
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 27, 2019, 07:47:45 PM
2019-11-27.

CCYY-MM-DD works just as well as MM-DD-CCYY.

Microsoft Office products such as Word, Excel and Access have a list of date formats that are perfectly valid to use.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

wanderer2575

*  Photocopies made in landscape orientation, not portrait.  Shrink it if you have to, but don't turn it sideways.

*  Incorrect use of "less" when it should be "fewer," and "amount" when it should be "number."  Also, singular use of plural pronouns, e.g. "I talked to the person and they said..."

*  Performers of the national anthem at sporting events who think it's an opportunity to display artistic interpretation or have a jam session.

*  Motorists using their turn signal when exiting.  (I allow an exception when done as a warning where poor design requires motorists to reduce speed while still in the thru lane.)  Double-bother when said motorists don't turn off the blinker after exiting, and turn left at the top of the ramp with the right-turn blinker still active.

*  Oblivious people who completely block the aisle while searching for an item at a grocery store.

*  Small talk.

*  Insurance company television commercials.  Geico started the humor trend and they've done some good ones, and the Allstate Mayhem Guy ones are usually pretty good, but now everyone else is trying to be funny and they're failing miserably.  Note to Liberty, State Farm, and The General:  Give it up; your "humor" is flatter than the proverbial pancake.

Rothman

The annoyance with landscape orientation is a headscratcher to me.  In my years of dealing with spreadsheets, landscape is much preferred compared to some sort of vertical break that requires you to flip back and forth to see the whole sheet just to stick to portrait.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 28, 2019, 01:26:13 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 28, 2019, 12:26:42 PM

I'm more ticked off that they try to restrict content now by taking away the ability to make money on videos that don't meet content requirements.  Youtube was way more fun when it was an assortment of Youtube Poops cut from 80s cartoons.
This! & I just got 3 ads on a youtube video the other day. At the same time.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

US 89

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 28, 2019, 09:43:24 PM
*  Motorists using their turn signal when exiting.

I disagree, because communicating your intentions is always valuable to other drivers on the road. Also, isn’t this legally required in most states anyway?

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 28, 2019, 09:43:24 PMAlso, singular use of plural pronouns, e.g. "I talked to the person and they said..."

In that vein, while I respect people who decide their pronouns aren't the binary ones (he/his and she/her), why they choose "they/them"? They imply more than one, so I don't see why they have to designate an individual, and besides, there is already "it" as a gender-neutral singular pronoun.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 29, 2019, 04:32:17 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 28, 2019, 09:43:24 PMAlso, singular use of plural pronouns, e.g. "I talked to the person and they said..."

In that vein, while I respect people who decide their pronouns aren't the binary ones (he/his and she/her), why they choose "they/them"? They imply more than one, so I don't see why they have to designate an individual, and besides, there is already "it" as a gender-neutral singular pronoun.

In English language practice, "it" implies a lack of humanity that generates extreme discomfort for usage in regards to referring to a person.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 29, 2019, 04:32:17 AM

"They"/"them" is the plural, and should never be used in the singular.  The gender-neutrals are "it" and "one".  Otherwise, "he" and "she" should be used or "he/she".  Let's stop abusing the English language.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

wanderer2575

Quote from: Rothman on November 28, 2019, 11:32:21 PM
The annoyance with landscape orientation is a headscratcher to me.  In my years of dealing with spreadsheets, landscape is much preferred compared to some sort of vertical break that requires you to flip back and forth to see the whole sheet just to stick to portrait.

I don't really have a problem with a wide spreadsheet.  It's when a document 8.5 inches (or maybe even a little wider) is copied on its side that drives me nuts.

Quote from: US 89 on November 29, 2019, 01:04:45 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 28, 2019, 09:43:24 PM
*  Motorists using their turn signal when exiting.

I disagree, because communicating your intentions is always valuable to other drivers on the road. Also, isn't this legally required in most states anyway?

Moving into a previously existing lane, absolutely.  Signalling when moving into a new lane at the point it opens up is pointless.

MNHighwayMan

roadman

Younger people who can't speak without saying "like" every third word.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 29, 2019, 10:12:09 AM
Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2019, 12:15:36 PM
The phrase "I know, right".

I know, right?

"It is what it is"  gets my nerves way more.  The new annoying phrase that's catching on is "there is a lot to unpack here."

DaBigE

• Electronic documents that have pages in different orientations. I can understand if the document was scanned, but the ones I'm referring to originated as Word and CAD files...never even making their way to paper.
  • Electronic documents that need to be filled out, but don't have fields built in to do so without the PDF typewriter tool
  • Tech illiterate people insisting on using the self-checkouts
  • Shoppers who blatantly ignore the 10/20 items or less signs
  • Sales people who hover or ask if you need help every 5 minutes
  • The same threads that show up year after year after year
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

roadman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 29, 2019, 10:37:28 AM

I know, right?

“It is what it is” gets my nerves way more.  The new annoying phrase that’s catching on is “there is a lot to unpack here.”

"You know what I mean?"  No, I don't know what you mean.  And you shouldn't assume I do.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DaBigE on November 29, 2019, 10:38:26 AM

• Electronic documents that have pages in different orientations. I can understand if the document was scanned, but the ones I'm referring to originated as Word and CAD files...never even making their way to paper.
  • Electronic documents that need to be filled out, but don't have fields built in to do so without the PDF typewriter tool
  • Tech illiterate people insisting on using the self-checkouts
  • Shoppers who blatantly ignore the 10/20 items or less signs
  • Sales people who hover or ask if you need help every 5 minutes
  • The same threads that show up year after year after year

Regarding the sales people, that's probably a theft deterrent technique that retailers are teaching employees.  Basically one of the newer approaches is to annoy shoplifters out of the store before they steal.  The problem is that it tends to bleed over into normal shoppers as well. 

texaskdog

People who refer to a lectern as a podium.  People who talk about "reaching out" to someone.  Nose rings. 

DaBigE

Quote from: roadman on November 29, 2019, 10:41:19 AM

I know, right?

"It is what it is"  gets my nerves way more.  The new annoying phrase that's catching on is "there is a lot to unpack here."

"You know what I mean?"  No, I don't know what I mean.  And you shouldn't assume I do.

My boss uses that one like it's a period to a sentence  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

texaskdog

Quote from: roadman on November 27, 2019, 12:04:51 PM
At a pair of doors, when people will wait for someone leaving the building to open the exit door and sneak through there instead of opening the entrance door themselves.

....bathroom doors that open in.  wash your hands and then touch the door handle of others that didn't wash.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DaBigE on November 29, 2019, 10:42:21 AM
Quote from: roadman on November 29, 2019, 10:41:19 AM

I know, right?

"You know what I mean?"  No, I don't know what I mean.  And you shouldn't assume I do.

My boss uses that one like it's a period to a sentence  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Maybe your boss is a "boss"  in a local crime family? 

texaskdog

In football: not using analytics and therefore punting the ball away on 4th and 1 just so they don't get criticized; overcalling of penalties.  Having two football teams in Los Angeles.  Not going to an 18 game schedule/having those ridiculous pre-season games. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.