News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

Our house is second from the corner on our block.  For a long time, Google directions ended on the side street, not on our street (even though Google knew the address).  I guess they expected people to jump the fence into the neighbor's yard and then jump again into our yard.  Beware the large white dog.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 29, 2021, 11:29:11 AM
I have a colleague who for some reason single-spaces everything and doesn't include blank lines between paragraphs. It makes written work product borderline illegible. I don't understand why he doesn't just format his work the same way the rest of us do. Plus he manually formats everything in Word's "Normal" style, making it impossible just to correct it quickly by applying the proper style. I'm going to have to get IT to put the correct default document template on his PC instead of whatever weird one he's using now. I have no idea why some idiot at Microsoft thinks Calibri is a remotely acceptable default typeface for software intended for business use.

Well, their justification is:
QuoteJoe Friend, a program manager on Word for Office 2007's release, explained that the decision to switch to Calibri was caused by a desire to make the default font one optimised towards onscreen display: "We believed that more and more documents would never be printed but would solely be consumed on a digital device", and to achieve a "modern look".

Problem with going for "a modern look" is that it doesn't stay modern–Microsoft is already jonesing for a new typeface to replace Calibri. There are far more attractive fonts that are optimized for on-screen display, like Georgia, but I have a feeling they're going to go with a more "modern" one.

Really, using the default typeface, even when it was Times New Roman, is to me a glaring signal that whoever created the document didn't care enough about it to ensure that the document looks good. At the very least, it often shows that the composer doesn't know when it's appropriate to use serif (long, running text) or sans-serif (for displaying small amounts of text, like on signs) fonts.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 29, 2021, 11:29:11 AMI have a colleague who for some reason single-spaces everything and doesn't include blank lines between paragraphs. It makes written work product borderline illegible. I don't understand why he doesn't just format his work the same way the rest of us do. Plus he manually formats everything in Word's "Normal" style, making it impossible just to correct it quickly by applying the proper style. I'm going to have to get IT to put the correct default document template on his PC instead of whatever weird one he's using now. I have no idea why some idiot at Microsoft thinks Calibri is a remotely acceptable default typeface for software intended for business use.

When I encounter situations like this, I often wonder not just about workflow but also about things like office culture and individuals protesting passively against demands they feel are unreasonable.

I belong to a writing forum where snippets are often shared for critique.  I draft my own submissions in plain text (Windows ANSI) with double CR-LF as a paragraph separator, but most others use either Word or LibreOffice with typical book manuscript formatting:  double-spaced with CR-LF followed by tab for paragraph breaks, often with a font other than the default for whatever combination of software and version they are using.

In contradistinction to our forum, which allows posts to be composed in source view only, this forum allows users to compose in either WYSIWYG view or source view, with the former being the default.  Many members simply copy-paste text directly from Word into the compose box in WYSIWYG view and hit Post, even though the result is painful to read:  no visible paragraph breaks, text that is full black rather than 80% gray (interferes with hinting and triggers contrast sensitivity), font size smaller than the default, font that clashes with the forum default, etc.

The forum administrators have tried to cure the problem by making available a text cleaner that removes Word formatting.  But it is hard to use, since the following procedure must be followed exactly:

*  Copy-paste from Word (or similar) into compose box in WYSIWYG view

*  Toggle compose box from WYSIWYG view to source view

*  Copy-paste from compose box to text cleaner input box (text cleaner is on a separate website)

*  Run text cleaner

*  Copy-paste from text cleaner output box to compose box

Moreover, the text cleaner only removes formatting tags for font, text color, and the like--it doesn't insert an extra CR-LF after each paragraph to generate visible paragraph breaks.  This has to be done manually.

I've had the sense that many members simply skip the text cleaner because they'd rather apologize for redundant formatting if they are called on it than accept the extra work that is created for them through the administrators failing to devise an intuitive solution.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jeffandnicole

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 29, 2021, 02:09:46 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 29, 2021, 11:29:11 AMI have a colleague who for some reason single-spaces everything and doesn't include blank lines between paragraphs. It makes written work product borderline illegible. I don't understand why he doesn't just format his work the same way the rest of us do. Plus he manually formats everything in Word's "Normal" style, making it impossible just to correct it quickly by applying the proper style. I'm going to have to get IT to put the correct default document template on his PC instead of whatever weird one he's using now. I have no idea why some idiot at Microsoft thinks Calibri is a remotely acceptable default typeface for software intended for business use.

When I encounter situations like this, I often wonder not just about workflow but also about things like office culture and individuals protesting passively against demands they feel are unreasonable.

I belong to a writing forum where snippets are often shared for critique.  I draft my own submissions in plain text (Windows ANSI) with double CR-LF as a paragraph separator, but most others use either Word or LibreOffice with typical book manuscript formatting:  double-spaced with CR-LF followed by tab for paragraph breaks, often with a font other than the default for whatever combination of software and version they are using.

In contradistinction to our forum, which allows posts to be composed in source view only, this forum allows users to compose in either WYSIWYG view or source view, with the former being the default.  Many members simply copy-paste text directly from Word into the compose box in WYSIWYG view and hit Post, even though the result is painful to read:  no visible paragraph breaks, text that is full black rather than 80% gray (interferes with hinting and triggers contrast sensitivity), font size smaller than the default, font that clashes with the forum default, etc.

The forum administrators have tried to cure the problem by making available a text cleaner that removes Word formatting.  But it is hard to use, since the following procedure must be followed exactly:

*  Copy-paste from Word (or similar) into compose box in WYSIWYG view

*  Toggle compose box from WYSIWYG view to source view

*  Copy-paste from compose box to text cleaner input box (text cleaner is on a separate website)

*  Run text cleaner

*  Copy-paste from text cleaner output box to compose box

Moreover, the text cleaner only removes formatting tags for font, text color, and the like--it doesn't insert an extra CR-LF after each paragraph to generate visible paragraph breaks.  This has to be done manually.

I've had the sense that many members simply skip the text cleaner because they'd rather apologize for redundant formatting if they are called on it than accept the extra work that is created for them through the administrators failing to devise an intuitive solution.

All of that seems ironic in a forum where it apperas the very basis of it is to try to present the best work possible.  If they can't bother to care how its presented, and the presentation is less than stellar, do members still provide good feedback on the actual writing?

Big John

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 28, 2021, 04:56:50 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 28, 2021, 04:46:12 PM
Addresses on the curb won't work here because of snow. In addition, many streets don't even have a curb.

curb probably isn't the end-all for this problem, but there's other 'standard' places one could put it  --- highest point of the house, directly over front door.. million ways to do it, we just need to pick one.
In some rural parts of Wisconsin, they're are poles about 4 foot poles with the alphanumeric address on it and is colored coded to which fire department serves it.

thspfc

Quote from: Big John on October 29, 2021, 06:04:33 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 28, 2021, 04:56:50 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 28, 2021, 04:46:12 PM
Addresses on the curb won't work here because of snow. In addition, many streets don't even have a curb.

curb probably isn't the end-all for this problem, but there's other 'standard' places one could put it  --- highest point of the house, directly over front door.. million ways to do it, we just need to pick one.
In some rural parts of Wisconsin, they're are poles about 4 foot poles with the alphanumeric address on it and is colored coded to which fire department serves it.
I live about 15 miles from Madison, and that's how mine is. The pole is by the mailbox.

ZLoth

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 29, 2021, 02:09:46 PMI belong to a writing forum where snippets are often shared for critique.  I draft my own submissions in plain text (Windows ANSI) with double CR-LF as a paragraph separator, but most others use either Word or LibreOffice with typical book manuscript formatting:  double-spaced with CR-LF followed by tab for paragraph breaks, often with a font other than the default for whatever combination of software and version they are using.

Quick ideas:

• Which browser are you utilizing? I know that Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge has a right-click → Paste as plain text. Firefox doesn't have that functionality built in, but there are several "Copy Plain Text" extensions available.
  • If you are on Windows, the free Ditto Clipboard Manager has a function to paste as plain text as well. I use that function constantly.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

formulanone

Ever feel like the lone Terry in a bunch of Jerrys?

Here's the problem, here's the solution, it's easy to implement, but the folks that need to "enforce it" are lollygagging and dismissive. Problem continues.

hbelkins

Saw this one today in a news headline and story. The use of the term "K9" as a shortcut for "canine."

MY AP Stylebook is from 2010, and it uses "K-9."

I know AP preaches brevity, but I'd much rather use "canine" or "canine unit" or "police dog" than the coded abbreviation of "canine."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on November 05, 2021, 09:50:39 AM
Saw this one today in a news headline and story. The use of the term "K9" as a shortcut for "canine."

I know AP preaches brevity, but I'd much rather use "canine" or "canine unit" or "police dog" than the coded abbreviation of "canine."

Roadgeek joke: Check out this picture of a dog I saw in Kansas.

(photo by formulanone)

ZLoth

Two things that bothered me this week...

Since I'm working from home, I have an office VoIP phone. That phone does not ring when I am sitting at my desk working away (except on Fridays), but when I am on the other side of the house, the phone rings, having me run across the house to pick it up.

Of course, the phone call is a extended warranty spam call from a number identified as local.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 05, 2021, 01:25:59 PM

(photo by formulanone)

It's a snow dog. Where's By-Tor?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: hbelkins on November 05, 2021, 08:55:14 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 05, 2021, 01:25:59 PM

(photo by formulanone)

It's a snow dog. Where's By-Tor?

he was in a rush.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

CNGL-Leudimin

I don't see any puns. That route is styled by me as KS 9, regardless of the official formatting.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 06, 2021, 09:55:15 AM
I don't see any puns. That route is styled by me as KS 9, regardless of the official formatting.

So, ¿la ceguera deliberada?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kurumi

... which sounds like a Spanish speaker who hasn't yet learned German for "no"

(there's always a pun, but it's usually bad)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Scott5114

How's the weather in Storkslapper?

J N Winkler

I had to look up Storkslapper.

In regard to how numbered routes are referred to in Kansas, I've had the sense that the K-XX nomenclature is gradually falling into disuse.  Google Maps appears to have standardized on USPS two-letter abbreviations for primary state routes in all states, and there is an increasing lack of uniformity in the news media that I think is traceable to cub reporters not receiving any grounding in how highway systems work and how to decode highway references in official documentation.  I've seen "Kansas 13," "K-13 highway," "Kansas 13 highway," and so on in newspaper articles.  Recently there was a report of a fatal accident on "highway U-40"--I guess US 40 was meant, but KDOT and, presumably, the KHP seem to be transitioning to single-letter identifiers for all route systems, including the US highways.  (KDOT had long insisted on hyphenating US highway designations:  hence "US-50," "US-183," etc.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

1995hoo

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 06, 2021, 01:16:43 PM
... KDOT had long insisted on hyphenating US highway designations:  hence "US-50," "US-183," etc. ...

Nothing wrong with that. That's how our electronic signs in Virginia sign them. It's consistent with hyphenating Interstate highway designations (I-95, I-395, etc.). I've never really understood why some people don't hyphenate them.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 06, 2021, 01:16:43 PM
"highway U-40"

So... Utah State Route 40 (which would also be US 40)? Makes no sense to change what has been previously estabilished for decades prior.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

hotdogPi

U-240 has a half-life of 14.1 hours. Surely the road lasted much longer than that?
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

SSOWorld

Quote from: 1 on November 07, 2021, 02:25:56 PM
U-240 has a half-life of 14.1 hours. Surely the road lasted much longer than that?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Mapmikey

Great news - K-40 has a half-life of 1.3 billion years...

Scott5114

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 07, 2021, 04:32:26 PM

Of course, there's not a K-40, because US-40 runs through Kansas.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 07, 2021, 08:07:15 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on November 07, 2021, 04:32:26 PM

Of course, there's not a K-40, because US-40 runs through Kansas.

But is Kansas one of those states that classify all their routes as state routes regardless of shield (such as California)?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.