News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

All US routes now bypass Del Rio TX

Started by usends, February 17, 2016, 10:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

...at least that's what Google Maps is showing.  Apparently US 90, 277, and 377 have been rerouted along the former Loop 79, which bypasses the town.  Anyone have more info about this?  If true, then US 377 has a new endpoint a few miles east of its former terminus.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

coatimundi

Looks like Google Maps is at least wrong about Loop 239 continuing to the International Bridge based on the last addendum to the minutes, but I also don't see the US 277 Spur mentioned there in the HDF: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/SL/SL0239.htm

Strange.

Signage in 2013 still said Loop 79. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.3682664,-100.8174035,3a,37.5y,328.22h,83.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sU-sJHL3z-kLOUqiyrkZSrQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
It would be interesting to know what it said now.

NE2

Quote from: coatimundi on February 18, 2016, 01:19:17 AM
Looks like Google Maps is at least wrong about Loop 239 continuing to the International Bridge based on the last addendum to the minutes,
Except for it being a spur, the Goog is correct:
QuoteFrom US 90/US 277 and SS 297, westward along Gibbs Ave past Cordona St, then southward on new location to US 277 Spur, then along US 277 Spur to the International Bridge, a distance of approx. 2.75 miles.

but I also don't see the US 277 Spur mentioned there in the HDF
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/us/us0277.htm
Quotewith a spur connection from US 277 to the International Border at Del Rio
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

coatimundi

Quote from: NE2 on February 18, 2016, 12:36:57 PM
Looks like Google Maps is at least wrong about Loop 239 continuing to the International Bridge based on the last addendum to the minutes,
Except for it being a spur, the Goog is correct:
QuoteFrom US 90/US 277 and SS 297, westward along Gibbs Ave past Cordona St, then southward on new location to US 277 Spur, then along US 277 Spur to the International Bridge, a distance of approx. 2.75 miles.

Ah. I misunderstood the italicized portion of the HDF.
I was looking at this on StreetView, and Spur 277 doesn't appear to be signed along the multiplex, just 239.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.3360974,-100.9178411,3a,37.5y,59.22h,84.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snEZFxdZknl5Rd3MxmUkRIg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And then, Spur 277, which I understand to be "US" and not "SS", is signed as the latter along Garfield Street:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.3621508,-100.8970371,3a,15y,249.32h,86.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdxoo4mB3GRiyWs_0lCgtKw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

But I guess a US shield with "Spur" may not be in TxDOT's inventory.

I haven't been to Del Rio in years, but this makes me want to go back just to look at this.

oscar

I'm in Del Rio now. Before checking into my hotel, I traveled Loop 79 from end to end, also checking out its junctions with US routes.

Google Maps jumped the gun on this one, at best. None of the US routes in Del Rio have changed. Signage at their junctions with Loop 79 encourages through travelers to El Paso, Laredo, and Eagle Pass to use the loop instead of slogging through Del Rio, but the US routes themselves still are signed into Del Rio.

It would make sense to reroute US 90 and US 277 over the loop. TxDOT might want to fix several short "rough road" sections before submitting its application to AASHTO. The loop is otherwise a high-quality bypass, generally two lanes and posted for 70 mph.

OTOH, it would be daffy to route US 377 over the bypass, as Google Maps has it. US 377 currently ends in Del Rio, in a useless triplex with US 90 and US 277, without even reaching the border crossing. And Loop 79 comes nowhere near the current south end of US 377, nor is there any indication it will be extended. Leaving US 377 as is (while moving US 90 and US 277, removing the triplex), or truncating it to its junction with US 277 north of Del Rio, would make more sense.

BTW, I saw no US business, spur, or other auxiliary route signage between the US routes in Del Rio and the local border crossing. That connection is handled by lowly Texas state spur routes.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

usends

Quote from: oscar on March 13, 2016, 09:56:35 PM
Google Maps jumped the gun on this one, at best. None of the US routes in Del Rio have changed.
Thanks for the report.  I wonder what source prompted Google Maps to make that change.  So far I've been unable to find anything online about a plan to move the US routes to the bypass.

...it would be daffy to route US 377 over the bypass, as Google Maps has it. US 377 currently ends in Del Rio, in a useless triplex with US 90 and US 277, without even reaching the border crossing. And Loop 79 comes nowhere near the current south end of US 377, nor is there any indication it will be extended. Leaving US 377 as is (while moving US 90 and US 277, removing the triplex), or truncating it to its junction with US 277 north of Del Rio, would make more sense.
I agree with all of that, but I think there's also one more valid option, and that would be to extend the 377 designation to the border.  (That actually should have been done long ago, in my opinion.)

BTW, I saw no US business, spur, or other auxiliary route signage between the US routes in Del Rio and the local border crossing. That connection is handled by lowly Texas state spur routes.
Well, I think officially it's Spur US 277 (see NE2's post upthread), but you're correct that it's signed as TX Spur 277.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

dfwmapper

Bumping this thread because I was away from the forum for a couple months (blasphemy!). Indian Googlers rerouted all the US highways because of a lack of understanding of the difference between functional and legal routings. Loop 79 forms a functional bypass of US 90 and US 277, even if TxDOT has never moved to adjust the legal definitions (even though they should because why else would they build the bypass?). The proper change is to modify the road priorities to shift long-distance traffic to follow the bypass and avoid the city center while leaving the actual road names alone (which it what I did when adjusting this to begin with), while the AOL tech support reject answer is to move the road names over too, ignoring legal designations and signage. It would almost certainly be easier to get TxDOT to request a rerouting and AASHTO to approve it than it would be to get non-native speakers at Google to fix the problems, so I've pretty much decided to just leave it alone.

aboges26

Quote from: dfwmapper on May 16, 2016, 11:44:50 PM
Bumping this thread because I was away from the forum for a couple months (blasphemy!). Indian Googlers rerouted all the US highways because of a lack of understanding of the difference between functional and legal routings. Loop 79 forms a functional bypass of US 90 and US 277, even if TxDOT has never moved to adjust the legal definitions (even though they should because why else would they build the bypass?). The proper change is to modify the road priorities to shift long-distance traffic to follow the bypass and avoid the city center while leaving the actual road names alone (which it what I did when adjusting this to begin with), while the AOL tech support reject answer is to move the road names over too, ignoring legal designations and signage. It would almost certainly be easier to get TxDOT to request a rerouting and AASHTO to approve it than it would be to get non-native speakers at Google to fix the problems, so I've pretty much decided to just leave it alone.

Google Maps is just flashy because it has pictures and street view.  OpenStreetMap is where its at.  As long as it is fixed in OSM, which you and anyone else can do, then it is all good!

bugo

Quote from: aboges26 on May 17, 2016, 09:51:55 PM
Quote from: dfwmapper on May 16, 2016, 11:44:50 PM

Google Maps is just flashy because it has pictures and street view.  OpenStreetMap is where its at.  As long as it is fixed in OSM, which you and anyone else can do, then it is all good!
Yeah, then you have buffoons like a certain poster to this forum who likes to add false information to OSM and it only gets fixed when you get the moderators involved.

Western Electric Model 500

kphoger

Since this thread was exhumed, I figured I'd reiterate that–at least as of this past March–all US Routes are still signed through town and not along the bypass.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.