News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

AHTD Asking for Trouble

Started by US71, April 17, 2011, 07:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Just got back from a weekend trip to Batesville, AR. Along the way, I got to check progress on the US 64 Bypass at Vilonia. It's in the process of being paved, so will probably open sometime next year.
But AHTD is asking for a s#itload of trouble: the bypass will be 4 lanes, divided , with all intersections at-grade, including at AR 107 south of Vilonia.

I don't know what they were thinking (were they thinking?). It's only a matter of time before the bypass has an unusually large number of accidents or fatalities.

Google map of the area:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Vilonia,+AR&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=41.275297,67.763672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Vilonia,+Faulkner,+Arkansas&ll=35.069345,-92.226276&spn=0.083596,0.197754&t=h&z=13
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Did they leave room for interchanges or overpasses? That has been a past problem in Illinois and elsewhere.

US71

Quote from: 3467 on April 17, 2011, 09:19:45 PM
Did they leave room for interchanges or overpasses? That has been a past problem in Illinois and elsewhere.

Not from what I could see.

cjk374

Not to mention, all of the new businesses that will open (can you say "future site of a Wal-Mart Supercenter"?  :banghead: ) in the next 10-20 years.  Then the by-pass will need to be bypassed.  Maybe they will get it right then.  Then again, maybe not.  :sombrero:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on April 17, 2011, 09:55:16 PM
Not to mention, all of the new businesses that will open (can you say "future site of a Wal-Mart Supercenter"?  :banghead: ) in the next 10-20 years.  Then the by-pass will need to be bypassed.  Maybe they will get it right then.  Then again, maybe not.  :sombrero:

Wal-Mart Express : smaller stores for smaller communities (I kid you not).

Not a lot of room for a second Bypass: Conway is 6 miles west of the west end, El Paso is about 6 miles east of the east end. What will probably happen is like the Fayetteville Bypass: after enough people are injured or killed, AHTD will be forced to make improvements. First, it will be flashing lights. A couple years later when they discover the lights don't help, they will upgrade the worst intersection. About 10-12 years after the bypass opens, it will have all the at-grade intersections replaced with interchanges.

NE2

Looks like a standard rural four-lane. Some states like to spend the extra money for a full freeway, while others are fine with four lanes. I'd probably put an interchange at Highway 107, but minor streets shouldn't cause problems.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on April 17, 2011, 10:33:30 PM
Looks like a standard rural four-lane. Some states like to spend the extra money for a full freeway, while others are fine with four lanes. I'd probably put an interchange at Highway 107, but minor streets shouldn't cause problems.

107 definitely needs an interchange, but it has been built as an at-grade intersection (personal visit 4-17-11). I wouldn't necessarily call the other intersections "minor streets": most are full-fledged county roads.

oscar

Quote from: US71 on April 17, 2011, 10:25:12 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on April 17, 2011, 09:55:16 PM

Wal-Mart Express : smaller stores for smaller communities (I kid you not).

Sounds like Wal-Mart Express aims to fills the niche occupied in the upper Midwest by the Pamida general store chain, which seems to be only where Wal-Mart isn't.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

US71

Quote from: oscar on April 17, 2011, 11:27:25 PM

Sounds like Wal-Mart Express aims to fills the niche occupied in the upper Midwest by the Pamida general store chain, which seems to be only where Wal-Mart isn't.

They're gunning for smaller markets that are currently dominated by Dollar General, Family Dollar, etc.

mightyace

^^^

That's not necessarily death for Dollar General.  There are plenty of towns and cities in Tennessee that have both DG and Wally World.  And, DG isn't standing still either.  DG is now opening Dollar General Market which expands the grocery part of a DG store.  Sounds like a Dollar General Market and a Wal Mart Express are similar type and size stores.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

US71

Don't know how I missed the news:

the US 64 Bypass at Vilonia opened October 3. There was a dedication ceremony on September 27. "Old" US 64 is now US 64B

http://thecabin.net/news/local/2011-09-27/vilonia-bypass-dedicated-not-yet-open#.TrRtxkOa-mU

I may have to sneak down for some photos soon.

codyg1985

I'm surprised it is divided instead of a five-lane road with a center turn lane.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 07, 2011, 07:24:52 AM
I'm surprised it is divided instead of a five-lane road with a center turn lane.

Probably so traffic can move faster.

Here's a satellite view of the road under construction. http://g.co/maps/yuepz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.