News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Changing attitudes towards expelled students

Started by bandit957, January 30, 2019, 11:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 31, 2019, 11:00:54 AMI don't get much of your story. So you got expelled but this other kid didn't? What?

I got expelled, even though this other kid wasn't punished for doing things that were far worse.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bandit957 on January 31, 2019, 11:16:25 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 31, 2019, 11:00:54 AMI don't get much of your story. So you got expelled but this other kid didn't? What?

I got expelled, even though this other kid wasn't punished for doing things that were far worse.
So the school district was corrupt?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

bandit957

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 31, 2019, 11:43:54 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on January 31, 2019, 11:16:25 AM

So the school district was corrupt?

Yes.

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 30, 2019, 09:45:19 PMFunctionally, expelling a student is making it more likely that they'll be unemployable in adulthood, which could lead to them relying on social programs that a high school graduate wouldn't. So there's a public policy interest in keeping as many kids in school as possible, and therefore on expelling as few as possible.
Would that we had the same attitudes towards giving teenagers lengthy prison sentences for minor offenses.

hbelkins

Expulsion = fewer children enrolled = less state money, which is allocated per pupil and in Kentucky on the basis of average daily attendance (not enrollment.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 31, 2019, 09:17:53 AM
Don't they have to give you some sort of education?

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 31, 2019, 09:51:11 AM
But schooling is mandatory up till 16 so I thought that the state would have to find one.

School attendance is mandatory.  That means parents are required by law to have their kids in school.  It does not mean the school system has to keep track of every child in the city and do the legwork for them instead of the parents.  In other words, the school cannot be blamed for parents' unwillingness to put their kids in school.  Think about it another way:  how would the school system even know his parents weren't switching him to a private school or home-schooling?

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 30, 2019, 09:53:27 PM
I assume things like bringing guns to school might qualify.

The only classmate I ever had who "got missing" from school was one who brought a pistol to junior high, put it in his locker, and then bragged about it to his friends.  I didn't see that kid for four years after that–and that was in a town of less than 1300 people.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Beltway

Quote from: kphoger on January 31, 2019, 01:55:06 PM
The only classmate I ever had who "got missing" from school was one who brought a pistol to junior high, put it in his locker, and then bragged about it to his friends.  I didn't see that kid for four years after that–and that was in a town of less than 1300 people.

I can't think of any student that I can recall that was expelled from the schools I was at, and that was back in the 1960s and 1970s in strict school systems.  I'm sure there were some, but none that I knew of, as the high school had some drug problems.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

DandyDan

Isn't it true that nowadays, if a student were in line to get expelled, he or she would just end up at the alternative high school, at least if the school district has enough students? I know at the school my mother worked for that happened.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

bandit957

Quote from: DandyDan on February 02, 2019, 03:56:44 AM
Isn't it true that nowadays, if a student were in line to get expelled, he or she would just end up at the alternative high school, at least if the school district has enough students? I know at the school my mother worked for that happened.

I did end up at what was sort of like an alternative high school. It was a public school, but it had an alternative class. I liked it better than the previous few schools. I got along pretty good with the other students, and there wasn't really a dress code. But academics was lacking (my teacher said she wasn't certified to teach math), and the school treated us like preschoolers. Sometimes they wouldn't let us use the restroom all day. This was in the early '90s.

kevinb1994

Quote from: bandit957 on February 02, 2019, 09:25:29 AM

I did end up at what was sort of like an alternative high school. It was a public school, but it had an alternative class. I liked it better than the previous few schools. I got along pretty good with the other students, and there wasn't really a dress code. But academics was lacking (my teacher said she wasn't certified to teach math), and the school treated us like preschoolers. Sometimes they wouldn't let us use the restroom all day. This was in the early '90s.

This reminds me of the special needs private school system I went to after being removed first from the regular public school system I started out in, and then being removed from a regular private school.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Beltway on February 01, 2019, 12:13:56 AM

I can't think of any student that I can recall that was expelled from the schools I was at, and that was back in the 1960s and 1970s in strict school systems.  I'm sure there were some, but none that I knew of, as the high school had some drug problems.
How bad was the drug problem? Was it mostly after school or were people like selling them during the school day?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ce929wax

I personally have never been expelled (I'm a little surprised, I had issues growing up).  I guess what kept me from crossing that line is that my parents would have found me a school and I wouldn't have liked it one bit. 

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 02, 2019, 04:01:27 PM

How bad was the drug problem?

24. Bartholomew purchased one kilogram of marijuana for $25.
a) If Bartholomew divides the weed into 10-gram bags, how many bags will he have?
b) If Bartholomew sells each bag for $1, what will his profit margin be on each bag?
c) If Bartholomew sells all of the bags, how much profit will he make altogether?
Be sure to show your work on a separate piece of paper.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 03, 2019, 03:18:42 AM

a) If Bartholomew divides the weed into 10-gram bags, how many bags will he have?
b) If Bartholomew sells each bag for $1, what will his profit margin be on each bag?
c) If Bartholomew sells all of the bags, how much profit will he make altogether?
F*ck school

hotdogPi

The math problem isn't that difficult. I didn't think marijuana was that cheap, though. At that price, a container of dimes and quarters would be worth more than the same weight of marijuana.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

formulanone

d. If Bartholomew is finding local competition too stiff, should he create a downline to his buddy Franco with 40% of the remaining batch, knowing that he has a habit of "getting high on his own supply", or just wait for the moment when there's a drought, and markup his stale ratweed to prospective new buyers?

I uh, watched a lot of Miami Vice.

kphoger

Certainly not in school districts that don't have alternative schools.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Are you trying to weed out the math experts here?  :-D :-D :-D

I'm sure the potheads here can figure this one out pretty quickly.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2019, 08:09:04 PM

a) 100
b) 75 cents
c) $75

a) If H. Belkins pays $20 to enter an all-you-can-eat buffet, how much money will the owners lose?
b) How long will it take H. Belkins to start blubbering about the fact that I made this joke, in seconds?

Takumi

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 03, 2019, 08:16:24 PM

a) 100
b) 75 cents
c) $75

a) If H. Belkins pays $20 to enter an all-you-can-eat buffet, how much money will the owners lose?
b) How long will it take H. Belkins to start blubbering about the fact that I made this joke, in seconds?
c) How many times is A. Befroman going to beat this unfunny dead horse?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

Quote from: Takumi on February 03, 2019, 08:40:06 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on February 03, 2019, 08:16:24 PM

a) 100
b) 75 cents
c) $75

c) How many times is A. Befroman going to beat this unfunny dead horse?
A) Till H. Belkins stops being so easily trolled.

Takumi

I mean, you're the one who seems to get worked up when he so much as breathes, so...
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kevinb1994

bugo

Quote from: bandit957 on January 30, 2019, 11:04:00 AM
In my youth - 1980s and early 1990s - to be expelled from a school was frowned upon by some, but most people saw it as a sign of healthy rebellion. People recognized that the school was usually wrong. I used to write about my experiences with being kicked out of school, and everyone would cheer me on.

But in the mid-'90s, things changed. After that, nobody wanted to hear stories that glamorized expelled students anymore. It's not just my perception caused by me entering the adult world and being around more mature people. It's not just because I got Internet and was exposed to people who were less open-minded anyway. This was an actual societal change. I worked at the library before this happened and had co-workers who were much older, and they didn't hold my school experiences against me. When I wrote about it for a college class, even the professor was amused by it. But after that, everything went to hell.

I graduated high school in 1992 and I never saw a cop in school except at an anti-drug brainwashing event in middle school. When I first learned that there were cops in schools that stayed there all day, it blew my mind. I can't imagine what it must be like having a cop patrolling your school hallway. When I was in high school, kids openly traded pocketknives in the classroom and the rednecks would come to school with a hunting rifle in the rack in the back window of their pickup trucks. Now they would be arrested and charged with a crime.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.