News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

A mistake that they didn't get it done when they did the widening between US 11 and I-10/59.  Also, they boo-boo'd on the start of the westbound lane...they should have made the on-ramp from I-59/EB I-10 the start of the 3rd lane.

lamsalfl

If you don't like that configuration you would love the lane configuration of I-10 westbound at the Causeway interchange.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: froggie on January 06, 2014, 06:47:19 PM
A mistake that they didn't get it done when they did the widening between US 11 and I-10/59.  Also, they boo-boo'd on the start of the westbound lane...they should have made the on-ramp from I-59/EB I-10 the start of the 3rd lane.

It almost appears as if they were leaving room for an eastward expansion of I-10.

Quote from: lamsalfl on January 07, 2014, 01:45:14 AM
If you don't like that configuration you would love the lane configuration of I-10 westbound at the Causeway interchange.

I've been waiting for I don't know how long to see what they will do with that once all of this construction is said and done. I seriously hope that they don't leave it like that.

pctech

How long have they been "patching" the pavement on I-10 from Highland Rd.  to the Sorrento exit between  Baton Rouge and New Orleans? I encountered this work on my last two trips to NOLA. I don't remember that many defects in that section of I-10 relative to the areas that been cut out and patched.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on January 08, 2014, 03:17:09 PM
Quote from: froggie on January 06, 2014, 06:47:19 PM

It almost appears as if they were leaving room for an eastward expansion of I-10.

Quote from: lamsalfl on January 07, 2014, 01:45:14 AM

I've been waiting for I don't know how long to see what they will do with that once all of this construction is said and done. I seriously hope that they don't leave it like that.

I emailed LaDOTD about that very question. The plan is to remove the lane drop and re-stripe the merge with the Causeway onramp when the Veterans-to-Clearview widening project is complete.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 02, 2011, 08:33:49 PM
Quote from: Sykotyk on May 11, 2011, 01:49:58 AM
Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on May 06, 2011, 01:18:19 PM
Audubon is open.
New bridge now open for traffic

Just drove this today. Quite impressive. There's still no signage in the town of St. Francisville advising you that LA-10 multiplexes with US61. So, for now, LA-10 goes E/W through US61, and also goes west of US61 south of town without any indication.
LADOTD video of bridge opening can be found on this page:
http://www.timedla.com/bridge/audubon/overview/

This article provides an update on efforts to four-lane the Zachary Taylor Parkway (of which the John James Audubon Bridge is the centerpiece):

Efforts to see a four-lane Zachary Taylor Parkway become a reality continue, and $300,000 in grant funding will help with addressing changes from the project's original master plan.
Maria Bowen, executive director of the parkway association, said the parkway will run approximately 210 miles, from Interstate 49 in Alexandria to Interstate 59 in Poplarville, Miss., and essentially cover Louisiana Highways 1 and 10.
The parkway's center point is John James Audubon Bridge, which was officially completed in 2012 ....
In recent years those working with the parkway have discovered the money is not there to four-lane the highways, Bowen said. Thus, she said they have been "trying to make a better pace for funding"  by working on cohesive economic development efforts and looking at ways to bring in grants in areas such as culture, tourism and recreation ....
The $300,000 in grant funding that has been awarded through the Community Development Block Grant program will be used to go back to the master plan developed in the late 1990s and address changes brought on by hurricanes or other factors ....
The funding will also be used to look at developing a scenic byway within the parkway, Bowen said.

mcdonaat

Four-lane segments of the parkway do exist - LA 1 through Alexandria, Marksville, and soon-to-be-completed Marksville to Mansura; LA 10 is also four lanes where it runs concurrent with US 61. I would focus more on the stretch between Marksville and Alexandria, and then turn my attention to Morganza to US 61. The ROW is already bought between New Roads and US 61, so why not four-lane it?

Also, while you are four-laning the JJA, sign Bicycle Route 90!

froggie

Does it really need 4-laning?  I have my doubts...

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: Grzrd on January 16, 2014, 03:57:26 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on June 02, 2011, 08:33:49 PM
Quote from: Sykotyk on May 11, 2011, 01:49:58 AM
Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on May 06, 2011, 01:18:19 PM
Audubon is open.
New bridge now open for traffic

Just drove this today. Quite impressive. There's still no signage in the town of St. Francisville advising you that LA-10 multiplexes with US61. So, for now, LA-10 goes E/W through US61, and also goes west of US61 south of town without any indication.
LADOTD video of bridge opening can be found on this page:
http://www.timedla.com/bridge/audubon/overview/

This article provides an update on efforts to four-lane the Zachary Taylor Parkway (of which the John James Audubon Bridge is the centerpiece):

Efforts to see a four-lane Zachary Taylor Parkway become a reality continue, and $300,000 in grant funding will help with addressing changes from the project's original master plan.
Maria Bowen, executive director of the parkway association, said the parkway will run approximately 210 miles, from Interstate 49 in Alexandria to Interstate 59 in Poplarville, Miss., and essentially cover Louisiana Highways 1 and 10.
The parkway's center point is John James Audubon Bridge, which was officially completed in 2012 ....
In recent years those working with the parkway have discovered the money is not there to four-lane the highways, Bowen said. Thus, she said they have been "trying to make a better pace for funding" by working on cohesive economic development efforts and looking at ways to bring in grants in areas such as culture, tourism and recreation ....
The $300,000 in grant funding that has been awarded through the Community Development Block Grant program will be used to go back to the master plan developed in the late 1990s and address changes brought on by hurricanes or other factors ....
The funding will also be used to look at developing a scenic byway within the parkway, Bowen said.

I could possibly see a use for a four lane road (at least in part) in the LA 1/LA 10 corridor from St. Francisville to Alexandria some day. (Passing lanes here and there would certainly work in the near term.) However, one would think that there are much higher traffic priorities in La. than constructing the Zachary Taylor Parkway. Efforts of this sort smack of highway building for spurious economic development reasons.

apjung

Four lane it and leave it to where it can be easily upgraded to an Interstate 14

mcdonaat

Quote from: apjung on January 16, 2014, 10:47:45 PM
Four lane it and leave it to where it can be easily upgraded to an Interstate 14
Wait a second... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I-14, if run through Louisiana, would be Natchez-Vidalia-Jonesville-Alexandria-Leesville. The Parkway is Bogalusa-St. Francisville-New Roads-Marksville-Alexandria. One is US 84/LA 28/LA 8, the other is LA 10/LA 1.

Alps

Quote from: mcdonaat on January 16, 2014, 11:17:11 PM
Wait a second... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I-14, if run through Louisiana, would be Natchez-Vidalia-Jonesville-Alexandria-Leesville. The Parkway is Bogalusa-St. Francisville-New Roads-Marksville-Alexandria. One is US 84/LA 28/LA 8, the other is LA 10/LA 1.
You're wrong. Take it to Fictional Highways.

NE2

I-14 is an actual plan, because Congress.
http://www.gulfcoaststrategichighway.org/Louisiana.html
QuoteThe proposed Gulf Coast Strategic Highway route in Louisiana stretches 199 miles from the Sabine River to the Mississippi River. It crosses central Louisiana connecting Fort Polk, England Airpark and Camp Beauregard.  The route follows LA 8 from the Sabine to Leesville, the gateway to Fort Polk.  It then follows LA 28 eastward through Alexandria to the intersection with US 84 near Archie.  It follows US 84 from Archie to Vidalia and the Vidalia-Natchez Bridge over the Mississippi River.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mcdonaat

Quote from: Steve on January 17, 2014, 12:13:25 AM
Quote from: mcdonaat on January 16, 2014, 11:17:11 PM
You're wrong. Take it to Fictional Highways.
Actually.... the post I replied to suggested four-laning the Zachary Taylor Parkway and upgrading to I-14 standards. A perfectly plausible solution, except I-14 (the Gulf Coast Strategic Highway) lies about 60 miles north, using US 84 and LA 28. I don't see what Fictional Highways has to do with this... I was just pointing out that the Zachary Taylor Parkway is a different highway than the proposed I-14.

Grzrd

Anthony_JK

Now, I'm not sure I'd go along with freewayizing the proposed Zachary Taylor Parkway via LA 1/LA 10 between Alexandria and St. Francisville, since a perfectly good freeway/expressway alternative already exists: I-49 to Opelousas then US 190 east to BTR. A 4-laned highway with some access management would do just fine for the ZTP.

I'm not even sure I-14 is really anything but a pipe dream; since they have already 4-laned LA 28 between Leesville and Alex; they could extend the same 4-lane along LA 28 east of Pineville to Archie, then follow US 84 from there to Ferriday. That in and of itself should be perfectly adequate for Central Louisiana traffic (along with a 4-laning of US 84 from Winnfield east to Archie).

Finishing I-49 South to NOLA and I-69 should be the only freeway priorities for Louisiana right now (along with widening the existing highways). A freeway from Lake Charles to Alex to Monroe to the proposed I-530 extension would be next up in my priority list. I-14 would be way, way down the road.

pctech

Improving existing freeways should be a priority over building new ones (excluding I49/69). Other highways can be widened  as needed. High on the priority list should be improving the 110-110 exchange in Baton Rouge, now site of daily gridlock. Repairing/improving I-10 from the I-12/59 to the MS. border comes to mind as well.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: pctech on January 17, 2014, 11:08:40 AM
Improving existing freeways should be a priority over building new ones (excluding I49/69). Other highways can be widened  as needed. High on the priority list should be improving the 110-110 exchange in Baton Rouge, now site of daily gridlock. Repairing/improving I-10 from the I-12/59 to the MS. border comes to mind as well.

Totally agree on fixing that I-10/I-110 Split bottleneck/TOTSO. That would be my second highest priority (behind I-49).

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on January 17, 2014, 01:00:17 AM
I-14 is an actual plan, because Congress.
http://www.gulfcoaststrategichighway.org/Louisiana.html
QuoteThe proposed Gulf Coast Strategic Highway route in Louisiana stretches 199 miles from the Sabine River to the Mississippi River. It crosses central Louisiana connecting Fort Polk, England Airpark and Camp Beauregard.  The route follows LA 8 from the Sabine to Leesville, the gateway to Fort Polk.  It then follows LA 28 eastward through Alexandria to the intersection with US 84 near Archie.  It follows US 84 from Archie to Vidalia and the Vidalia-Natchez Bridge over the Mississippi River.

Sorry. I think I've been willfully ignoring it.

mcdonaat

To keep this from deviating into fictional highway plans, I would love for LA 28 to be four-laned from Libuse to Holloway on a first stretch, then push for twinning of the Catahoula Lake area after that. US 84 doesn't see much traffic at all, and what it does see is mostly local hunters and residents.

US 165, in my humble opinion, should NOT be upgraded to a freeway, since you would have to bypass every little town along the way. Create controlled access in some spots, and do a Texas move - raise that speed limit to 70 MPH. Having driven the route from Alexandria to Monroe TONS of times, the most boring part has to be the straight stretch between the railroad overpass north of Columbia, through the Ouachita/Caldwell line, to that large west curve. Sometimes, straighter isn't better.

I could really see an Interstate upgrade of LA 139 at the state line to just north of Bastrop, and a full-blown bypass of the town. Follow US 165 roughly, hugging the middle between US 165 and LA 139 to Monroe, connecting with a finished MLK Expwy across Bayou Desiard. Ever noticed the HUGE median between the two pieces of pavement? Not to be a complete pipe-dream person, but extending the MLK Expwy north to almost Sterlington, having a nice interchange to connect with the new LA 2 bridge, and then moving traffic quickly between Bastrop and Monroe could be an ultimate gift to many commuters. US 165 becomes a parking lot at night, and it sucks.

That I-10/110 interchange may seem like a terrible idea, but if you build a southern bypass of Baton Rouge, your problems are solved. It would take many plant workers and trucks off of I-10, and shift them away from the 10/110 split. Plus, the majority of traffic in the mornings goes straight from 10W to 110N... suburbs to downtown jobs, and ExxonMobil. Believe me, I've driven into BR from Port Allen every morning for almost a year, and have noticed the backups of people for MILES... and traffic going onto the ramp to 10W is flowing at about 60 MPH.

Anyone wanna buy a bridge? You can set it up and rent it out for birthday parties... or restore it as an entrance to your property. Hell, build a small slough and set the bridge up over it. You could have your own piece of the Jefferson Hwy. http://www.dotd.la.gov/programs_grants/bridgemarketing/

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: mcdonaat on January 18, 2014, 12:04:15 AM
That I-10/110 interchange may seem like a terrible idea, but if you build a southern bypass of Baton Rouge, your problems are solved. It would take many plant workers and trucks off of I-10, and shift them away from the 10/110 split. Plus, the majority of traffic in the mornings goes straight from 10W to 110N... suburbs to downtown jobs, and ExxonMobil. Believe me, I've driven into BR from Port Allen every morning for almost a year, and have noticed the backups of people for MILES... and traffic going onto the ramp to 10W is flowing at about 60 MPH.

A northern bypass would really take the truck traffic off the BR interstate system. We just had a frozen precipitation event (freezing rain/sleet/small amount of snow) which closed the interstates, and the number of trucks either parked on the shoulders of I-10 and I-12 or trying to wind their way through the city on surface streets was incredible. From my experience, most through truck traffic uses I-10 to I-12 through BR, so as to bypass New Orleans.

One idea of mine is to construct a tolled trucks-only bypass in a northern arc around the city, with parts of US 190 and I-110 serving as links between segments. The tolls would vary based on the level of congestion on the interstate system.  Truckers will gladly pay the toll in order to avoid rush hour congestion.  Alternately, auto traffic could use certain segments of the proposed highway during rush hour (to take traffic off I-12 and the surface arterials with destinations of Watson or Walker).

A southern bypass would be nice, too, but would require a new Miss. River bridge which greatly increases the costs, thus rendering it less feasible, so it can come later. Right now the worst local congestion is along the east-west corridor out to Livingston Parish and across the I-10 bridge to Port Allen. The I-10 widening has greatly improved the rush hour flow to the south.

froggie

QuoteOne idea of mine is to construct a tolled trucks-only bypass in a northern arc around the city,

I doubt you'd get local support for this unless it was open to all traffic, all the time (not part of the time as you suggest later in your post).  Also, as I recall, a northern bypass has been bantered about just as often as a southern bypass has.

QuoteTruckers will gladly pay the toll in order to avoid rush hour congestion.

If the I-81 Virginia proposal from about 10 years ago is any indication, no they won't.  Another indicator is the volume of trucks who stick with the traffic signals on US 13 in order to shunpike DE 1.

QuoteA southern bypass would be nice, too, but would require a new Miss. River bridge which greatly increases the costs, thus rendering it less feasible,

IMO, a southern bypass is quite feasible as an alternative to twinning the I-10 span.  I also recall that a southern bypass was less mileage than a northern bypass, which would make it more enticing to I-10 West-to-I-12 East (and vice versa) through traffic.

pctech

New I-10 shields at entrances to freeway at Essen Lane and Bluebonnet  have the state name in them....but they are ugly looking signs.

mcdonaat

Quote from: pctech on January 27, 2014, 10:22:54 AM
New I-10 shields at entrances to freeway at Essen Lane and Bluebonnet  have the state name in them....but they are ugly looking signs.
Got photos? If my gut is right, they're Clearview shields... something I've only seen in Baton Rouge. North Louisiana has FHWA Series inside of the shields, while BR has Clearview.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: mcdonaat on January 27, 2014, 11:17:23 PM
Got photos? If my gut is right, they're Clearview shields... something I've only seen in Baton Rouge. North Louisiana has FHWA Series inside of the shields, while BR has Clearview.

NO has a mixture of both. Installation appears to be hit or miss.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.