News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Yellow arrow?

Started by hbelkins, May 15, 2012, 12:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

A green arrow means there's an unread post.

What does a yellow arrow mean? I just saw one show up. (In Off-Topic, FWIW).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

It means that unread posts exist in either that board or its child board, but not both.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 15, 2012, 12:13:16 AM
It means that unread posts exist in either that board or its child board, but not both.

That is correct.  In the future, the bottom of the forum will mention this as well.  Just haven't had the chance to add that text yet.

signalman

Thanks for the clarification.  I had assumed (and apparently incorrectly) that it meant there was an unread post in the child board only.  At least that had been what I observed thus far.

Takumi

For me, it only shows the yellow arrow when there's a post in the child board. The green arrow still shows up when there's a post only in the parent board. Maybe this is just a quirk in my (mobile) browser.

Another change is that when you click on one of the tabs below the news at the top of the screen (home, search, profile, etc), your current tab is now yellow.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: signalman on May 15, 2012, 03:49:50 AM
Thanks for the clarification.  I had assumed (and apparently incorrectly) that it meant there was an unread post in the child board only.  At least that had been what I observed thus far.
That is actually the correct interpretation. I had noticed a glitch where when only the child board had a post but not the parent board, the green arrow wouldn't show up at all. So with the idea that something had to go there, I came up with a yellow arrow. Mostly because I like yellow arrows, but also because it does tell you that something's different, thus pointing you to the child board when you think about it.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

So when y'all going to add red arrows?  :sombrero:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

We already did. The bulb burned out.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Steve on May 15, 2012, 10:51:34 PM
Can't you get the Ruskies to cover that?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

signalman

Quote from: Steve on May 15, 2012, 07:56:11 PM
Quote from: signalman on May 15, 2012, 03:49:50 AM
That is actually the correct interpretation. I had noticed a glitch where when only the child board had a post but not the parent board, the green arrow wouldn't show up at all. So with the idea that something had to go there, I came up with a yellow arrow. Mostly because I like yellow arrows, but also because it does tell you that something's different, thus pointing you to the child board when you think about it.

It is indeed an attention grabber.  If that was your goal, then you succeeded.  The first time I saw a yellow arrow on here I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.   The logic makes sense to me and I think it was a great addition.

US71

Quote from: Steve on May 15, 2012, 10:51:34 PM

I told you to use LED's ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

The forum always supported the change, it was simply that when we created the theme the forum had no child boards and thus I had no reason to make a graphic for it at the time. When we added child boards, the "glitch" (actually just the forum calling for the image and not finding it) occurred, reminding us of the need.

As for red arrows, I had considered making the "no new posts" a red arrow  to complement the green "new posts", but decided to go with the on/off route because 1) red-green colorblindness; stoplights deal with this by having the red and green bulbs in different positions, but the arrow design doesn't do that, and 2) red has a stop connotation. Didn't want the red light to get confused with meaning "you cannot enter/post in this board".

vdeane

It also fits well with the on/off convention generally used for new vs not new.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bulkyorled

Maybe there is no red arrow cause it's one of these;  :whip:
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2012, 07:26:11 AM
As for red arrows, I had considered making the "no new posts" a red arrow  to complement the green "new posts", but decided to go with the on/off route because 1) red-green colorblindness; stoplights deal with this by having the red and green bulbs in different positions, but the arrow design doesn't do that, and 2) red has a stop connotation. Didn't want the red light to get confused with meaning "you cannot enter/post in this board".

You know Scott, you could have always gone with a red "X" if ya had really wanted a red icon to indicate no new posts in a section. ;)

national highway 1

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 21, 2012, 11:25:51 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2012, 07:26:11 AM
As for red arrows, I had considered making the "no new posts" a red arrow  to complement the green "new posts", but decided to go with the on/off route because 1) red-green colorblindness; stoplights deal with this by having the red and green bulbs in different positions, but the arrow design doesn't do that, and 2) red has a stop connotation. Didn't want the red light to get confused with meaning "you cannot enter/post in this board".

You know Scott, you could have always gone with a red "X" if ya had really wanted a red icon to indicate no new posts in a section. ;)
Like this:
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Scott5114

But the arrow that goes with that points down, which makes no sense! :P

national highway 1

I meant the red X on the far right of the picture. The current arrow can remain the same.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

signalman

Quote from: national highway 1 on May 22, 2012, 07:52:27 PM
I meant the red X on the far right of the picture. The current arrow can remain the same.

We understand what you meant.  But like Scott said, the red Xs are use in conjunction with green down arrows. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.