News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdindy88

I doubt we would see City Routes signed, but I'd love to see some business routes, a Business U.S. 52 and U.S. 231 and Business SR 26. Given that many of the Indianapolis routes haven't been state highways for more than 20 years I don't see new shields coming up, but it would be nice. Given that, the Historic National Road is signed along Washington Street, if only we get a brown Historic U.S. 40 sign there.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 20, 2013, 06:32:02 PM
I doubt we would see City Routes signed, but I'd love to see some business routes, a Business U.S. 52 and U.S. 231 and Business SR 26. Given that many of the Indianapolis routes haven't been state highways for more than 20 years I don't see new shields coming up, but it would be nice. Given that, the Historic National Road is signed along Washington Street, if only we get a brown Historic U.S. 40 sign there.

When INDOT decommissioned SR 111, 311, and 403 in Clark County, the county put up shields identifying the roads as County Road 111, 311, and 403, respectively.  Other counties cities could do something similar.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NE2

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 21, 2013, 04:59:55 PM
When INDOT decommissioned SR 111, 311, and 403 in Clark County, the county put up shields identifying the roads as County Road 111, 311, and 403, respectively.  Other counties cities could do something similar.
Are these routes signed from intersecting state roads?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

tdindy88

Wait, are these county highway shields, the pentagons, or just a regular street blade. I for one would love to see more pentagons in Indiana.

mukade

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 21, 2013, 06:09:44 PM
Wait, are these county highway shields, the pentagons, or just a regular street blade. I for one would love to see more pentagons in Indiana.

They are ugly rectangular signs that are not too unlike all the detour signs INDOT puts up when freeways are being built.

Brandon

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 21, 2013, 04:59:55 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on December 20, 2013, 06:32:02 PM

Of course, on the other hand, Elkhart County did jack shit for the old US-33.  IN-933 ends right at the county line.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Someone put exit numbers on US 20 in northwest Indiana on the Goog. Are these real or some fictional shite?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NWI_Irish96

Flood warnings for nearly the entire state today.  A lot of roads closed right now, including:

I-70 EB near the Marion/Hancock line.
SR 1 in Randolph County
SR 135 in Brown County
SR 258 in Jackson County

mukade

Quote from: NE2 on December 22, 2013, 07:04:58 AM
Someone put exit numbers on US 20 in northwest Indiana on the Goog. Are these real or some fictional shite?

Wouldn't it almost be inconceivable that there could be an error in Google Maps? After all, Google fixes errors on the part of INDOT - read this post.

Anyway, INDOT has an exit book with their internal numbers (based on mileage). I would guess they found that document. The link for the US highway one is here.

NWI_Irish96

Pretty much every highway in the northern half of the state is closed, and there are travel bans in place even if the roads are passable.

tvketchum

IN 267 from in Avon and Brownsburg has been turned over to these cities and Hendricks County. Plainfield did not participate, so it appears the road will end at the north Plainfield city limits. Story was in the Sunday Indianapolis Star 01/05/2014.

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on December 22, 2013, 07:04:58 AM

The St Joseph Valley Pkwy has never had exit numbers posted.  As above, these are InDOT's internal numbers, not posted in the field.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 06, 2014, 10:44:16 AM
Pretty much every highway in the northern half of the state is closed, and there are travel bans in place even if the roads are passable.

Yep, even I-80/94 between the Illinois State Line and US-421 (Exit 34).  Now, I'd like to know how they're closing it at the state line as the first exit is US-41/Calumet Avenue (Exit 1), and the last exit is for Torrence Avenue (Exit 161) in Illinois.  Are they forcing people off at Torrence or Calumet?  I would suspect Torrence.

Stratuscaster

I was looking at traffic cams last night and despite being "closed" there were indeed vehicles out on both I-80/94 and on I-65 (which was closed between Gary & Lafayette.)

Perhaps it wasn't a "hard closure." Didn't see any cops or barricades at all.

silverback1065

Quote from: Stratuscaster on January 06, 2014, 07:44:44 PM
I was looking at traffic cams last night and despite being "closed" there were indeed vehicles out on both I-80/94 and on I-65 (which was closed between Gary & Lafayette.)

It's supposed to be closed with barricades (according to the news), maybe they were blown away.

NWI_Irish96

I-80/94 reopened yesterday.  I-65 reopened yesterday for a while but then got closed again from US 30 to SR 43 at around 7pm.  I don't know if they are doing anything physically in addition to saying that the roads are closed--I'm just reporting what INDOT is saying.

Brandon

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 07, 2014, 07:59:59 AM

I-80/94 reopened yesterday.  I-65 reopened yesterday for a while but then got closed again from US 30 to SR 43 at around 7pm.  I don't know if they are doing anything physically in addition to saying that the roads are closed--I'm just reporting what INDOT is saying.

Looking at the traffic cam at US-30 and I-65, it appears to be a berm of snow.  http://travelmidwest.com/lmiga/map.jsp?mapname=eventMap&id=IN-InDOT-462

Here's the other I-65 cameras: http://travelmidwest.com/lmiga/cameraReport.jsp?location=GATEWAY.IN.I-65

silverback1065

Quote from: tvketchum on January 06, 2014, 11:22:23 AM
IN 267 from in Avon and Brownsburg has been turned over to these cities and Hendricks County. Plainfield did not participate, so it appears the road will end at the north Plainfield city limits. Story was in the Sunday Indianapolis Star 01/05/2014.

I wonder why Plainfield didn't participate, and why doesn't the deal make 267 end at 74? 

tdindy88

SR 267 in Plainfield, between US 40 and I-70 at least, is a four-lane highway that is pretty much as improved as it is going to be without turning it into a "Keystone Parkway"-like road. There's little that INDOT could do, while Brownsburg and Avon see opportunities to improve the former SR 267 corridor. Of course I'd like to see them finish the RR Pkwy first. As for the reason of why SR 267 doesn't end at I-74, because that would be logical and INDOT isn't always logical.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 07, 2014, 06:37:04 PM
SR 267 in Plainfield, between US 40 and I-70 at least, is a four-lane highway that is pretty much as improved as it is going to be without turning it into a "Keystone Parkway"-like road. There's little that INDOT could do, while Brownsburg and Avon see opportunities to improve the former SR 267 corridor. Of course I'd like to see them finish the RR Pkwy first. As for the reason of why SR 267 doesn't end at I-74, because that would be logical and INDOT isn't always logical.

RR Pkwy is completely funded by Hendricks county I believe, so it will be a while.  The next pieces involve connecting the current southern part to the northern part, which involves a bridge that crosses us 136 and the rr tracks, and I don't think there is even money for that yet.  Also the boone county part is completely unplanned at this point.  They tried to get INDOT to take it over and call it SR 267, but they refused, I think it would have been a good idea for them, but I don't think they want to add to their mileage count. 

Indyroads

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 07, 2014, 08:47:42 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on January 07, 2014, 06:37:04 PM

RR Pkwy is completely funded by Hendricks county I believe, so it will be a while.  The next pieces involve connecting the current southern part to the northern part, which involves a bridge that crosses us 136 and the rr tracks, and I don't think there is even money for that yet.  Also the boone county part is completely unplanned at this point.  They tried to get INDOT to take it over and call it SR 267, but they refused, I think it would have been a good idea for them, but I don't think they want to add to their mileage count. 

As for the segment of former SR-267 between CR700 N and I-74, it makes Zero sense why the state relinquished this short section of highway, they should have just relinquished the whole section of SR-267 north of US-40 all the way to I-65 rather than leaving the open end and not keeping such a short section that connects to I-74.

It also makes me wonder if Indot will be removing the IN-267 shields from the brownsburg interchange signs at I-74 since the highway no longer connects, or will thye place the word "TO" next to the shield instead.  It seems like the later would be appropriate.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

theline

Quote from: Brandon on January 07, 2014, 10:01:53 AM

Looking at the traffic cam at US-30 and I-65, it appears to be a berm of snow.  http://travelmidwest.com/lmiga/map.jsp?mapname=eventMap&id=IN-InDOT-462

Here's the other I-65 cameras: http://travelmidwest.com/lmiga/cameraReport.jsp?location=GATEWAY.IN.I-65
Just this afternoon, I completed what turned out to be a 2-day trip from Evansville to South Bend. It was a bit of an ordeal.

We got rear-ended by a semi at one of the stop lights on US 41 in Terre Haute. The poor bastard didn't have a chance to stop on the ice. Thank goodness he had the sense to go slow, so the rental car took just minor damage and the humans took no damage.

I-70 to Indy was impossible. Semis, in both lanes of course, were doing just 5-10 MPH. We switched over to US 40 at Brazil, and could go 35-40. I-465 was a sheet of glass, and US-31 heading north had the washboard effect, so 40 MPH was pushing it. I finally gave up at Kokomo for the night. The drive this afternoon was much easier, with speeds up to 55 north of Peru.

It great to be home!   

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: theline on January 08, 2014, 10:59:41 PM
Quote from: Brandon on January 07, 2014, 10:01:53 AM

Just this afternoon, I completed what turned out to be a 2-day trip from Evansville to South Bend. It was a bit of an ordeal.

We got rear-ended by a semi at one of the stop lights on US 41 in Terre Haute. The poor bastard didn't have a chance to stop on the ice. Thank goodness he had the sense to go slow, so the rental car took just minor damage and the humans took no damage.

I-70 to Indy was impossible. Semis, in both lanes of course, were doing just 5-10 MPH. We switched over to US 40 at Brazil, and could go 35-40. I-465 was a sheet of glass, and US-31 heading north had the washboard effect, so 40 MPH was pushing it. I finally gave up at Kokomo for the night. The drive this afternoon was much easier, with speeds up to 55 north of Peru.

It great to be home!   

I'm glad you made it!

I was fortunate enough not to have to venture outside my home county for the duration.  And here, the snow cover was measured in millimeters and not inches.

nwi_navigator_1181

This past Saturday night, Cline Avenue (Indiana 912) closed between I-80/94 and Columbus Drive because of excess potholes. It opened again this morning in time for commutes, but drivers are still reporting pothole problems. Be careful if you're using that road in the coming days.

Cline Avenue may start rising from the ashes starting this year. Work is set for full resurfacing on that very stretch this spring, along with bridge repairs on that section. Also, work to rebuild the condemned Indiana Harbor bridge is (finally) set to begin this spring, with completion set for the next spring.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

silverback1065

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on January 13, 2014, 02:45:56 PM
This past Saturday night, Cline Avenue (Indiana 912) closed between I-80/94 and Columbus Drive because of excess potholes. It opened again this morning in time for commutes, but drivers are still reporting pothole problems. Be careful if you're using that road in the coming days.

Cline Avenue may start rising from the ashes starting this year. Work is set for full resurfacing on that very stretch this spring, along with bridge repairs on that section. Also, work to rebuild the condemned Indiana Harbor bridge is (finally) set to begin this spring, with completion set for the next spring.

Good to see that long ignored road getting fixed

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.