News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Future: smart glasses?

Started by hotdogPi, August 08, 2018, 04:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Imagine that it's in the future, maybe 2040. Smartphones are a thing of the past (although they still work due to a few collectors who want them to remain usable, the way vinyl records are now). Instead, we have smart glasses.

A screen fills your vision. You always know what time it is, the current temperature where you are, and the outside temperature, and there some additional options, such as humidity, location (coordinates, elevation, city/town, street address), battery (even if you have them on the whole day, you can take them off and recharge them while sleeping), current speed, and a few others. Clicking is done by blinking twice within half a second, or in some cases, staring at a spot for a second or two and then blinking twice (if misclicking would be really bad, such as teleportation).

Possible apps:

• Automatic translator: if a sign or something else is in a different language, it gets changed to the language of your choice (English for us). This could work even if not in the app.
  • Highlighting dangerous objects, like cars that could possibly hit you if you don't move out of the way. Again, this could work even if not in the app.
  • Zooming in. (Why doesn't this exist already in 2018?)
  • Click to teleport to that location, assuming teleportation technology exists.
  • Object identification. Maybe you have a 1961 coin from "CCCP". The glasses would tell you that it is from the Soviet Union.
  • Very useful for county clinchers, but also useful for others: City/town boundaries are shown in real life, with state and county boundaries in a different color.
  • Sometimes, sports on TV will show the movement of a player or the ball, or in football specifically, the first down line. You would be able to see this in real life.
  • Internet access. A keyboard would be near the bottom; blinking once is enough to "type" a key on a keyboard if you're already typing. If typing sentences and not just individual keys, speech to text works.
  • Instant messaging, with the same keyboard mentioned above.
  • Games, similarly to games that exist in the App Store right now. There would be thousands of them. Just don't play any of them while walking, as they're even more distracting than phone games are right now.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Takumi

I could see this becoming a thing at some point, though very expensive.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

Can I buy some pot from you?

txstateends

I don't know.... there's already enough distracting things out there without adding glasses to the mix.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

WR of USA

They could replace eyeglasses with smart glasses and program your prescription into the glasses for the right vision.
Traffic? No problem, enjoy the scenery!

Long live the lovely Sagamore and Bourne bridges and their welcoming traffic bottlenecks for the tourists!

yand

I just want always on recording providing dashcam-level protection.
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

That sounds cool, but that's WAY too much technology for me to want anything to do with.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

abefroman329

Quote from: yand on August 09, 2018, 08:11:03 AM
I just want always on recording providing dashcam-level protection.
There's an episode of Black Mirror that deals with a similar idea.  Doesn't end well for the participants.

vdeane

Black Mirror has certainly played with related concepts a few times.  There's also the one with the concept of "blocking" a person in real life using something like this, and the one with everyone having a social score that is updated when they're "rated" by others on social media.  Not to mention the one where the military alters the perception of their soldiers so that the innocent civilians they're targeting look like monsters instead.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

abefroman329

Quote from: vdeane on August 09, 2018, 02:05:51 PM
Black Mirror has certainly played with related concepts a few times.  There's also the one with the concept of "blocking" a person in real life using something like this, and the one with everyone having a social score that is updated when they're "rated" by others on social media.  Not to mention the one where the military alters the perception of their soldiers so that the innocent civilians they're targeting look like monsters instead.
What yand is describing most resembles the devices seen in The Entire History of You.

vdeane

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 09, 2018, 02:48:07 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 09, 2018, 02:05:51 PM
What yand is describing most resembles the devices seen in The Entire History of You.
This thread isn't only about yand's proposal, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.