Reply option missing for this topic:

Started by Brian556, May 07, 2018, 12:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I try to be fairly open-minded when using the search box. This means avoiding extended phrases, and instead sticking to a single potent word or two that is guaranteed to appear in the thread (but without being overly general, like searching "food").

It doesn't exactly require a lot of skill, but you just have to avoid being too zeroed in on a certain phrase, or you're likely to miss similar threads where different terminology was used.

hbelkins

Quote from: US 89 on May 08, 2018, 06:05:04 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 08, 2018, 09:55:21 AM
Am I the only one who finds the search box to be wonky?

Yesterday I searched for the phrases "regional fast-food chain" and "regional fast food chain" and got no exact hits on either phrase, even though we've discussed that subject before. That's why I made the new thread with that title.

The problem with the search box is it only searches within the thread or board you're viewing at that time. So if you typed that phrase into the search box while viewing this topic, you'd only get results from your post above.

I find that if my search turns up several pages of results, then using quotes to narrow down the search is often helpful.

The search box on the main forum home page should search the entire forum, should it not?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

It does.  At least on those occasions where I've done so.  More often than not, I do an advanced search.

vdeane

I've found that the search feature isn't really bad, but it does take more skill than using Google, since it only works by searching subject/post contents in whatever forum/thread/everything it's searching for the given word.  Google's system is far more sophisticated, so it actually tries to guess what you wanted and search on that.  I've gotten Google results that didn't contain any of the words I searched for, for example.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.