News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

^
Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 17, 2020, 02:59:18 PM
Quote from: Rick Powell on March 16, 2020, 06:53:38 PM

As far as providing for the future, if a rail line is abandoned during planning or construction, the approach has usually been to not build the bridge. On I-55 at the south end of Dwight, the old GM&O branch to Lacon and Washington was removed before I-55 went in and the highway remained at level. However, at Pontiac the old N&W between Fairbury and Streator wasn't quite abandoned and a bridge was designed, but the state was already moving dirt to accommodate the bridge. The abandonment came, and the embankment was already there, so they just filled in the space at the abandoned tracks where the bridge would have gone. One of my former co-workers named it "Mt. Livingston" in honor of Livingston County, and it stands today as a big hump in the road.

Lol, you're right.  There's nothing down there.

I think the mound in question is the one closer to the IL 23 interchange.

The SB I-55 bridge over the old railroad grade north of IL 116 was removed last year - and is already captured by Google Streetview.  The northbound one will likely disappear this year.

EDIT:  As to the bridge on I-55 in Lincoln:  While I could see Lincoln wanting to put a road under there, unless Lincoln really starts booming, I would question whether another cross interstate route would be warranted given the proximity of the 1250th Avenue overpass 1350 feet to the east.  Given the old railroad ROW appears relatively intact, maybe Lincoln is planning on a future bike trail?

edwaleni

I present Mt Livingston.

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 17, 2020, 05:00:20 PM
^
Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 17, 2020, 02:59:18 PM
Quote from: Rick Powell on March 16, 2020, 06:53:38 PM

As far as providing for the future, if a rail line is abandoned during planning or construction, the approach has usually been to not build the bridge. On I-55 at the south end of Dwight, the old GM&O branch to Lacon and Washington was removed before I-55 went in and the highway remained at level. However, at Pontiac the old N&W between Fairbury and Streator wasn't quite abandoned and a bridge was designed, but the state was already moving dirt to accommodate the bridge. The abandonment came, and the embankment was already there, so they just filled in the space at the abandoned tracks where the bridge would have gone. One of my former co-workers named it "Mt. Livingston" in honor of Livingston County, and it stands today as a big hump in the road.

Lol, you're right.  There's nothing down there.

I think the mound in question is the one closer to the IL 23 interchange.

The SB I-55 bridge over the old railroad grade north of IL 116 was removed last year - and is already captured by Google Streetview.  The northbound one will likely disappear this year.

EDIT:  As to the bridge on I-55 in Lincoln:  While I could see Lincoln wanting to put a road under there, unless Lincoln really starts booming, I would question whether another cross interstate route would be warranted given the proximity of the 1250th Avenue overpass 1350 feet to the east.  Given the old railroad ROW appears relatively intact, maybe Lincoln is planning on a future bike trail?

Here is today.

And it appears in the strategic plan for Lincoln, it will be a bike trail. So the bridge will stay.

ET21

Not gonna lie, IDOT should take advantage of less people on the road and do some repairs along the network, pending of course people are healthy
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ET21 on March 18, 2020, 02:58:12 PM
Not gonna lie, IDOT should take advantage of less people on the road and do some repairs along the network, pending of course people are healthy

I have very mixed feelings on this. Part of me thinks that the state should be setting an example and keeping the workers home to be sure. With that, if they ever wanted to a time to pick up some ground on the Circle/Burne Interchange, this would be the time they could do it. Again, I am for safety first, and that should continue to be the priority whatever would be decided.

Rick Powell

That was the old Illinois Central branch from Pontiac to Minonk Junction, removed in the late 70s, where it joined the old IC "Gruber Line" from Centralia to Freeport, removed in the mid 80s. And if you go out of Street View to the aerial, you will see two end sections (one on the east side and one on the west) and a grate in the median (for ventilation?), for a tunnel to carry a future trail underneath when both bridges are filled in. For a trail crossing underneath, that's a long way to go in dark conditions, if it's not lighted.  Pontiac's trail plan shows a look through the barrel of the new trail crossing on p. 5.

https://www.pontiac.org/DocumentCenter/View/2116/Trails-Master-Plan-

JoePCool14

Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 19, 2020, 07:57:58 PM

I have very mixed feelings on this. Part of me thinks that the state should be setting an example and keeping the workers home to be sure. With that, if they ever wanted to a time to pick up some ground on the Circle/Burne Interchange, this would be the time they could do it. Again, I am for safety first, and that should continue to be the priority whatever would be decided.

They probably won't... but they probably should. They'll never get a chance like this again. Also, if more people still get paid, it helps keep the economy from completely collapsing.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

ChiMilNet

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 21, 2020, 09:16:11 AM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 19, 2020, 07:57:58 PM

They probably won't... but they probably should. They'll never get a chance like this again. Also, if more people still get paid, it helps keep the economy from completely collapsing.

This would be quite the opportunity, for instance, to completely shut down the Burne/Circle and get as much done as they can. They could easily move the schedule back forward by maybe even a year if they really got to it. Also, finish the work on the Kennedy on the NW Side. Again, I say this with the consideration of worker safety first, but doing something like this could easily add some temporary and much needed jobs to infrastructure, something that I would consider essential, especially to keep the supply lines running.

Revive 755

^ There may be issues with the Illinois Procurement Code and the Standard Specs which limit opportunities for such changes.  Plus going through other bureaucracy such as the IDOT Detour Committee.

rte66man

Quote from: Rick Powell on March 19, 2020, 10:23:58 PM

That was the old Illinois Central branch from Pontiac to Minonk Junction, removed in the late 70s, where it joined the old IC "Gruber Line" from Centralia to Freeport, removed in the mid 80s. And if you go out of Street View to the aerial, you will see two end sections (one on the east side and one on the west) and a grate in the median (for ventilation?), for a tunnel to carry a future trail underneath when both bridges are filled in. For a trail crossing underneath, that's a long way to go in dark conditions, if it's not lighted.  Pontiac's trail plan shows a look through the barrel of the new trail crossing on p. 5.

Man, when I first saw that, I thought of the start of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" where Harry and Dudley were attacked by dementors.  If it isn't well-lit, no one will use it.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

ilpt4u

Quote from: rte66man on March 25, 2020, 11:04:44 AM
Quote from: Rick Powell on March 19, 2020, 10:23:58 PM

Man, when I first saw that, I thought of the start of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" where Harry and Dudley were attacked by dementors.  If it isn't well-lit, no one will use it.
I've never done this, but from what I've read and heard, the Abandoned PA Turnpike Tunnels are not lit, and people use them for biking and walking/jogging

Verlanka

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 25, 2020, 08:17:06 PM
I've never done this, but from what I've read and heard, the Abandoned PA Turnpike Tunnels are not lit, and people use them for biking and walking/jogging
They probably carry a special flashlight for that purpose.

inkyatari

Quote from: Verlanka on March 26, 2020, 05:32:12 AM

They're supposed to make that section of the turnpike a bike trail at some point.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

roadman65

Didn't IDOT used to have East St. Louis on all I-70 W Bound mileage signs west of I-57?  I know I-64 did, but never been on this road until 2015.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/35755511105/in/album-72157671241766041/
The sign just references two points along I-70 West.  This is also odd considering IDOT always uses three points on post interchange mileage signs as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

skluth

Quote from: Verlanka on March 26, 2020, 05:32:12 AM

The Elroy-Sparta Bike Trail in Wisconsin doesn't have lights in its tunnels and the longest tunnel is about 3/4 mile long. The tunnels are part of the trail's attraction. It's requested that riders walk their bicycles through the tunnels, but I don't know if any riders do that. Flashlights and jackets are both recommended for the trail.

Revive 755

Quote from: roadman65 on June 26, 2020, 09:01:14 AM
Didn't IDOT used to have East St. Louis on all I-70 W Bound mileage signs west of I-57?  I know I-64 did, but never been on this road until 2015.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/35755511105/in/album-72157671241766041/
The sign just references two points along I-70 West.  This is also odd considering IDOT always uses three points on post interchange mileage signs as well.

I though they did, but I think a couple of the two line destination signs omitting East St. Louis have been on westbound I-70 for over a decade now.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 27, 2020, 10:49:00 AM

I though they did, but I think a couple of the two line destination signs omitting East St. Louis have been on westbound I-70 for over a decade now.

I-70 really doesn't serve East St. Louis directly much anymore as it goes off the I-55 multiplex just barely into East St. Louis to use the new Musial Bridge. I guess it kind of makes sense with that.

edwaleni

Quote from: ChiMilNet on June 27, 2020, 05:17:16 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on June 27, 2020, 10:49:00 AM

I-70 really doesn't serve East St. Louis directly much anymore as it goes off the I-55 multiplex just barely into East St. Louis to use the new Musial Bridge. I guess it kind of makes sense with that.

This is correct. There are a total of 6 residences in the city limits north of where I-70 now traverses. To reach it you have to take Exchange Ave under the 55/70 combo.

It then goes back under 70 on 1st Avenue to IL-3 (St Clair Ave.) to Packers Ave. before going out to the river.

What most people don't realize is the EStL city limits goes east all the way along the METRO line to IL-161 which is rural.  Looking at it it makes you wonder if they wanted as much of the METRO East line in their city limits as they could get.

roadman65

Yes now I do remember as in 1993 or 1992 (cannot remember the exact year) but I drove I-57 up to Chicago to clinch that, and when I stopped for gas now I realized that the I-57 & 70 combo had Mount Vernon and East St. Louis at the US 45 interchange going south and west and used Champaine and Terre Haute as north and east from US 45 N Bound.  So I assume it must of been in cities like Vandalia and Greenville as well at the time. Though over 28 years have gone by so a lot can easily happen since, but IDOT always used two control cities on mileage signs with the next exit route or town name above them.  The first control was the same as on the freeway ramps and the second was only used at interstate to interstate interchanges.  However, IDOT in Chicago does not practice it as state names are used and going west on I-90 its Rockford even from the I-94 split (or it was in 1987) where the two part ways until Madison for one more time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

paulthemapguy

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

ilpt4u

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 30, 2020, 10:39:50 PM
Were these IL-3 signs made by Indiana? https://goo.gl/maps/n5bnDnEzNpaqHEkL9
Right up there with the Indiana-style Span Wire Signal on US 51 in DuQuoin https://goo.gl/maps/N6fszHjsfzKe94tm8
Contractors must have been from the other side of the Wabash

If only Doghouses would have been used instead of Towers, it would truly be a lost Indiana signal

ilpt4u

^^^^ Those 2 examples both appear like a standard "temp" /construction zone span wire installation in Illinois, using a wooden pole and a single span wire for support. Even if they have been there for awhile and now are de facto permanent installations

There are a few in the Peoria area that are similar to the ones you posted. Here is one, just off the US 24 West exit from I-474 https://goo.gl/maps/86T7Grq3t6CSYstr8

They differ from the one I posted in Southern IL/D9 quite a bit, as that particular one really does look like a pretty standard Indiana-style installation, with the metal poles and 3 span wires for support. Only thing Illinois about that intersection is the use of Towers instead of Doghouses

edwaleni

Quote from: roadman65 on June 30, 2020, 05:49:46 PM
Yes now I do remember as in 1993 or 1992 (cannot remember the exact year) but I drove I-57 up to Chicago to clinch that, and when I stopped for gas now I realized that the I-57 & 70 combo had Mount Vernon and East St. Louis at the US 45 interchange going south and west and used Champaine and Terre Haute as north and east from US 45 N Bound.  So I assume it must of been in cities like Vandalia and Greenville as well at the time. Though over 28 years have gone by so a lot can easily happen since, but IDOT always used two control cities on mileage signs with the next exit route or town name above them.  The first control was the same as on the freeway ramps and the second was only used at interstate to interstate interchanges.  However, IDOT in Chicago does not practice it as state names are used and going west on I-90 its Rockford even from the I-94 split (or it was in 1987) where the two part ways until Madison for one more time.

In Greenville & Vandalia, the control cities are Effingham and St Louis.

In Effingham, it has been (for many years) Memphis, St Louis & Chicago. But since it is just finished its umpteenth widening and reconstruction, I wouldn't be shocked if someone got a burr in their saddle and decided to change one of them.

hobsini2

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 01, 2020, 12:36:29 AM
^^^^ Those 2 examples both appear like a standard "temp" /construction zone span wire installation in Illinois, using a wooden pole and a single span wire for support. Even if they have been there for awhile and now are de facto permanent installations

There are a few in the Peoria area that are similar to the ones you posted. Here is one, just off the US 24 West exit from I-474 https://goo.gl/maps/86T7Grq3t6CSYstr8

They differ from the one I posted in Southern IL/D9 quite a bit, as that particular one really does look like a pretty standard Indiana-style installation, with the metal poles and 3 span wires for support. Only thing Illinois about that intersection is the use of Towers instead of Doghouses
Of course there is also this one that has been in my hometown of Bolingbrook for at least 8 years now.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6669524,-88.1652061,3a,75y,258.2h,85.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s68skvjbCDPkf6aDAYQdIVA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.