News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Route 24 Fall River to Randolph sign project

Started by roadman, November 15, 2017, 02:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 29, 2020, 12:48:49 PM
Quote from: Ben114 on June 18, 2020, 12:46:58 PM
Quote from: 1 on June 18, 2020, 11:51:01 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 18, 2020, 11:37:31 AM

I don't like Cape Cod as the control city TBH. I get why it is, but it's not an actual city. I would have preferred it say Hyannis or Barnstable.

Hyannis isn't a city or town, either. It's only a village, and villages have no legal recognition in Massachusetts.

Yet it's still signed on MA 25.
Clarification: it's signed for an exit off MA 25 not 25 itself.

For some reason, MassDOT is recently showing some inconsistency with regards to listing control points (as opposed to control cities).  Along I-90, as Roadman mentioned, Cape Cod is not listed on the primary interchange ramp signage for I-495 but such is still listed for the MA 24 interchange signage for I-495 southbound.  Cape Cod is also still listed primary ramp signage for MA 3 southbound off I-93.

That said, I'm still in agreement with using Cape Cod as a listed control point on primary signage because such makes logical sense.   That said, either Wareham or Bourne could be used for a southbound I-495 & eastbound MA 25 listings if one got more MUTCD-anal. 

With regards to listing Worcester for an I-495 control city; MassDOT is, again, being inconsistent with its logic.  Many southbound I-495 signage from I-95 to MA 62 still list Worcester as a control city.  Logic & consistency would suggest that northbound I-495 signage could still list Worcester as a control city from I-195/MA 25 to MA 135; and the old signs indeed did such.
All the BGSs on MA 25 were replaced in 2006 when the MA 3 flyover opened. Those control points are the same as the original late-80s versions IIRC.

bob7374

I've added new sign photos from my July road trip down MA 24. One of the new signs since mid-June is a 2 advance sign cantilever for I-495 headed south. That and the rest of the new photos are at: http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/MA24photos.html

bob7374

Took a quick trip along the corridor on Sunday to document any new signs. After a lull around July 4, many new signs were put up in the second half of July. The MA 106 exit went from having only 1 new sign placed, to having all the signs updated. The only exit now without new signage is at the end of MA 24 North at I-93. Further new photos can be found, marked with ^, on my sign replacement project section of the MA Route 24 Photo Gallery: http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/MA24photos.html

bob7374

I've posted a few more photos of new MA 24 signage captured this weekend between I-93 and MA 106. Here's the overheads southbound at the MA 27 North exit, all the new signs have been placed for this exit and for MA 106 and 123:

The rest of the new photos are in the MA 24 Photo Gallery: http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/MA24photos.html

bob7374

The contractor has finally started placing the new overhead signs at the end of MA 24 North in Randolph. Photos of those and other new signs put up in October are at my MA 24 sign gallery:
http://malmeroads.net/mass21c/MA24photos.html

bob7374

MassDOT posted this on Twitter yesterday, looks like they are finally completing the sign work at the north end of MA 24 next week:
"In #Randolph ramp from Rt 24 north to I-93 north temporarily closed 9pm, Sunday, 3/7, until 5 am on Monday. MassDOT sign replacement ops also mean Rt 24 north lane closures Sun, Mon, Tues nights as of 9pm thru 5 am next day."
The Sunday work is to remove the old sign structure that has been in front of the new one since November. The exit renumbering contractors put new numbers on both signs in January (the second set currently hidden). Notice that the old exit signs were put on the old gantry and will have to be shifted to the new one when the former gets taken down:

bob7374

The upgraded MassDOT projects site, now with the name ProjectInfo, has, after a couple year hiatus, begun reporting construction progress %s again (though they have dropped the completion date information). For the Route 24 project, the project is listed as 99% complete. I plan to check whether the last old exit sign (the 1/2 mile advance for I-93) has been replaced tomorrow or later in the week.

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on July 31, 2021, 10:12:29 PM
The upgraded MassDOT projects site, now with the name ProjectInfo, has, after a couple year hiatus, begun reporting construction progress %s again (though they have dropped the completion date information). For the Route 24 project, the project is listed as 99% complete. I plan to check whether the last old exit sign (the 1/2 mile advance for I-93) has been replaced tomorrow or later in the week.
The ProjectInfo site has been updated to say that the project is complete.* Here's the last sign put up NB for the I-93 (US 1) exit, the 1/2 mile advance:

*The same site still reports that the I-495 sign replacement project between Bolton and Lowell is also complete, though the overhead signs have not been put up yet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.