News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Driving in Boston before the Big Dig

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 27, 2021, 08:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

For those who drove in Boston before the Big Dig, what was it like? Especially getting to Logan Airport.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

I drove in Boston in the late 90's and it sucked it was congested beyond believe and undersized massively. As far as it's looks it was this giant green structure dividing downtown Boston in half pretty much. I wouldn't mind traveling to Boston again to see how much it's changed since the last time I was there in 2004.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 27, 2021, 08:16:39 PM
For those who drove in Boston before the Big Dig, what was it like? Especially getting to Logan Airport.

It was the bizarre intersection of "Thunderdome" meeting "parking lot".

shadyjay

The Central Artery was an elevated green monster dividing the city.  It basically had traffic jams at all hours of the day into the night.  It was 6 lanes (3 each way) with a lot of exits and entrances in a short distance.  For my college years, 1996 to 1998, I took a bus to get from school (UNH) to South Station to get a train home to CT.  Sometimes we would go to Logan first, other times South Station first.  The C/A North Access project had been completed by then, so the old ramps between US 1 and I-93 were closed off and the loop ramps around Boston Sand & Gravel were open.  The times we went to Logan Airport first, we would stop at every single terminal, then travel through the Ted Williams Tunnel.  I can't remember if I got a chance to drive the old Artery, but I definitely was a passenger numerous times, and I remember driving through the new tunnels for the first time shortly after they opened, and it was a vast improvement!

SectorZ

In terms of where you wanted to go, it sucked a lot, especially compared to now. The Sumner and Callahan tunnels were complete gridlock, US 1 dumping into I-93 was a disorganized mess, I could go on...

However, the elevated central artery at night looked friggin' awesome. That was probably the one highlight.

I got my license in Dec. 1994, at a point that a lot of things were already changing, but did drive down the Central Artery more than a few times before the tunnels came into use (2003?).

Rothman

Drove on the Central Artery every now and then through the 1980s and 1990s.  Although the traffic was horrific, I loved how the viaduct fit inbetween the buildings.

That said, coming out the back of Quincy Market was dreary walking into that darkness.

When Ted Williams Tunnel opened, it was a godsend.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

I knew where all the backups where - Government Center exit was the most reliable. But without traffic, it was a chaotic joy to drive, people dashing off and slamming their brakes at the last moment to dive across entering traffic to their exit. If you're through traffic, stay in the left lane and you're unmolested. There are few highways like it left, now that it and the West Side Highway are gone. I-80 in SFO is briefly similar, and a couple of older LA-area highways have some exit density approaching that mark.

bob7374

Link to one of several videos driving the Central Artery in the 1980s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU_2X7u8z9A

Paper Maps Forever

I recall reading that had not the Big Dig been completed, there would have been 20 hours of traffic jams on I93.

fwydriver405

Quote from: bob7374 on May 28, 2021, 11:35:34 AM
Link to one of several videos driving the Central Artery in the 1980s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU_2X7u8z9A

Here's some more videos:
July 1988, part 2 of what was linked above. This video demonstrates the Tunnel Radio that was in operation on the AM band in the Dewey Square / South Station Tunnel at around the 4 minute mark. From what I've read, the then Massachusetts Department of Public Works (superseded by MassHighway, now MassDOT) could override the AM station to provide "traffic and accident information" if needed.
December 1991, I-93 NB*
April 5, 1992, I-93 NB
December 27th, 2003, I-93 NB
August 3, 2003, I-93 SB. Temporary configuration, NB was moved into the tunnels at that time.
December 20, 2003 02:06 EST, the last few hours of the elevated Central Artery before SB traffic was moved to the Tip O'Neill Tunnel/Zakim Br at about 08:00 that day.

*A bit off-topic as this mostly pertains to the Southeast Expressway, but in the Dec. 1991 video, how did the HOV lanes operate work back then? I'm not sure when the Zipper system was put in place, but if you look at 12-13 seconds into the video, you can see the left 2 lanes have HOV lane markings. You can also see it on this video at around 10 minutes in from December 31, 1999. EDIT: This document from Lindsay Transportation Solutions suggests that HOV lanes were implemented in the 1980's, and the zipper system was implemented in 1995.

Roadgeekteen

Some people think that they should have completely removed the highway. I disagree.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

The Ghostbuster

Just before the elevated Central Artery was demolished, I remember reading an article where the author admitted: "I am going to miss this road." While the statement may have been illogical, perhaps the old road did provide some good views of the surrounding landscape (which were undoubtedly dampened by the congestion and the disdain for the viaduct's ugly look). Since this was about 15 years ago, I don't remember who wrote the article, what it was called, nor do I have confidence I could find it on the internet's "Wayback Machine". The only other thing I can recall from the article is that after the author said he'd miss the road, he noted that most people would have responded "how could you, you moron"?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 28, 2021, 03:05:30 PM
Just before the elevated Central Artery was demolished, I remember reading an article where the author admitted: "I am going to miss this road." While the statement may have been illogical, perhaps the old road did provide some good views of the surrounding landscape (which were undoubtedly dampened by the congestion and the disdain for the viaduct's ugly look). Since this was about 15 years ago, I don't remember who wrote the article, what it was called, nor do I have confidence I could find it on the internet's "Wayback Machine". The only other thing I can recall from the article is that after the author said he'd miss the road, he noted that most people would have responded "how could you, you moron"?
The road had some nice scenery of the city.

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 28, 2021, 04:11:14 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 28, 2021, 03:05:30 PM
The road had some nice scenery of the city.
It was a lot of fun to drive if you're okay with chaotic urban arterials. It was a behemoth but it also mirrored the Green Line and gave you a golden view of Boston's downtown as you sliced through.

pderocco

If you look at early Google Earth historical imagery, you can see the Charlestown High Bridge, which was eventually replaced by the Zakim bridge, carrying traffic to/from I-93 and US-1 north of Boston. You can see a disconnected spur off the north side of the bridge which used to go directly to the Tobin Bridge (US-1). Back in the 80s, it seemed like everyone coming up the Central Artery wanted to take I-93, and everyone who was heading east on Storrow Drive wanted to go up US-1, so the two streams had to cross in the space of that short bridge. As you can see, they later fixed that with the loop ramps and the short tunnel feeding the Tobin Bridge. But that was a real traffic landmark at the time. But it had a great view at night.

As to the view from the Central Artery, I recall driving south through there late one night, and looking off to my left, seeing a gigantic boat, about the size of a skyscraper on its side. It was the QE II about a mile away, docked at the World Trade Center.

Watching the Big Dig was truly fascinating. I kept a rusty rivet from it, as a souvenir.

paul02474

Quote from: pderocco on June 01, 2021, 01:24:51 AM
it seemed like everyone coming up the Central Artery wanted to take I-93, and everyone who was heading east on Storrow Drive wanted to go up US-1, so the two streams had to cross in the space of that short bridge.

Yes. The very first time I drove in Boston, I was entering the city from the north on US 1, heading toward Dedham. I was confronted with the need to cross from left to right on that short, high bridge to reach Storrow Drive. Even though I drove a NYC taxi while I worked my way through college, nothing prepared me for this adventure. I moved here in 1989, and ended up using the old Central Artery on a regular basis.

On the southbound Artery, just before the onramp from the Sumner Tunnel, a trooper would park in the right lane during rush hour - to make room for traffic from the tunnel. Net result: traffic from I-93 and the Tobin Bridge was forced to squeeze into two lanes. This created vehicular constipation back into Medford (and often beyond).

PHLBOS

Having grown up in the Greater Boston area, I became very familiar with the Central Artery years prior to getting my driver's license circa May 1982.

As most here know, it was sized as a 6-laner under the presumption that a reliever, 6-to-8 lane bypass highway (known as the I-695/Inner Belt) would be eventually built and the through-traffic would've been diverted away from Artery & the downtown area when completed & opened to traffic.  Unfortunately, local (i.e. NIMBY) opposition to highway construction projects near & around the city motivated then-Gov. Sargent to impose a moratorium on all highway construction projects inside MA 128.  As a result, key pieces of the highway system like the fore-mentioned Inner Belt (I-695) as well as the inner segments of what would be I-95 were cancelled.

The northern I-93 (originally part of I-695) connection to the Artery, though completely built for roughly a couple(?) of years, wouldn't open to traffic until September 1973.  The reasons for it ultimately opening, despite then-Gov. Sargent's inside-128 highway construction moratorium, were that:

1. Such was already fully-built.

&

2. The Tobin Bridge was shut down for 2 months following a gravel truck accident (on 9/11/73) that caused a collapse of the upper deck of the bridge.

As a result & as others have mentioned, the northern I-93 connection to the Artery created a very short weave area between such and the Storrow Drive interchange.  Several of the supplemental green steel side plates along the viaduct's railing were removed in the immediate vicinity to allow for traffic to see merging/oncoming vehicles.

The worst northbound bottleneck was at the southern end of the South Station/Dewey Square Tunnel where the Boston Extension of the Mass Pike (I-90 from 1978 onward) connected to the Expressway (I-93 from 1975 onward).  Anyone heading to Logan Airport from points south & west had to endure that agony of getting on I-93 and slowly crawling through the tunnel & Artery get to the Callahan Tunnel exit.  Prior to the adoption of one-way tolls circa 1983; traffic in the Callahan Tunnel would be gridlocked for the entire length due to the tollbooths at the East Boston side.  One Boston driving book (Wild in the Streets) referred to the entrance to the Callahan Tunnel as the Callahan Funnel due to the scenario involving a 6-7 car width area narrowing down to 2-lanes at the tunnel entrance.

It's also worth noting that the Central Artery originally had more entrance & exit ramps than it did when such received the I-93-based sequential exit numbering circa 1987.  One Artery ramp closure/removal that p!ssed off both my father & brother the most was the northbound onramp from State St., just west of the Atlantic Ave. intersection.  That ramp met the northbound Artery just beyond the Callahan Tunnel exit ramp & allowed one to avoid the gridlocked northbound traffic at the Callahan Tunnel offramp.  Such was removed during the mid-70s & to this day, my brother (my father has since died) still questioned the then-DPW's logic for removing that ramp.

During my final 3-1/2 months of living in eastern-MA circa 1990; I was a driver for an executive sedan company.  As a result & out of necessity, I became very familiar with the various surface street routes in the Artery's vicinity and when to use the Artery & when not to use it.  I, for one, was glad that I left that job (& moved away due to a better job offer) just prior to the Big Dig construction taking place.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

bluecountry

You act like it's a bad thing I-695 wasn't built...it's a good thing that and the SW freeway were not.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bluecountry on June 12, 2021, 11:07:58 PM
You act like it's a bad thing I-695 wasn't built...it's a good thing that and the SW freeway were not.
Bad for traffic, probably good for the city of Boston.

Alps

I don't know how to answer that. The Orange Line isn't a whole lot better in the freeway's path than if it were tunneled under I-95 instead. It's still a dividing line in the area. I-695 would have destroyed Cambridge, and I would say that is a bad thing indeed, but at least the Melnea Cass part would make sense (i.e., tying I-95 into the Artery). I also can't think of a good argument against the NE leg of I-95.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on June 13, 2021, 12:26:05 AM
I don't know how to answer that. The Orange Line isn't a whole lot better in the freeway's path than if it were tunneled under I-95 instead. It's still a dividing line in the area. I-695 would have destroyed Cambridge, and I would say that is a bad thing indeed, but at least the Melnea Cass part would make sense (i.e., tying I-95 into the Artery). I also can't think of a good argument against the NE leg of I-95.
They did clear the ROW for the highway. Maybe if I-95 was tunneled underneath it would work better.

SectorZ

Quote from: Alps on June 13, 2021, 12:26:05 AM
I also can't think of a good argument against the NE leg of I-95.

I don't recall if I have mentioned this before here, but the environmental road blocks on that thru Revere and Saugus were significant. My aunt who lived in Revere was one of the ringleaders in stopping it, to the point that she has a plaque at Rumney Marsh (near the US 1/Lynn St interchange) noting her work on stopping 95 being built thru there.

hotdogPi

Side note: Has anyone actually read about who Melnea Cass is? I think she would have been completely forgotten if not for the road named after her.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

froggie

Besides what SectorZ already mentioned, I-95 as planned would have also negatively impacted the Lynn Woods.

Roadgeekteen

They could have routed I-95 closer to the current 4 lane US 1.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.