Regional television markets

Started by Desert Man, November 18, 2017, 10:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

SP Cook

Aww, the mean mean company has an opinion different from the vast majority of the media.   So the big bad city councilman (who I am certain, like 99% city councilmen could walk down main street of his town and not be recognized) is going to not talk to them. 

Nothing to see here, move on.

KEVIN_224

My brother just spent the night in Portland, Maine. Sinclair owns their CBS affiliate, WGME-TV channel 13 of Portland. We were usually watching local news on WCSH-TV (NBC) channel 6 of Portland anyways. They're owned by Tegna, which I believe was/is connected to the company with USA Today. WGME-TV also produces the 10 PM news for WPFO-TV (FOX) channel 23 of Waterville, ME.

Here in Hartford/New Haven, Sinclair could soon own WTIC-TV (FOX) channel 61 of Hartford and operate WCCT-TV (CW) channel 20 of Waterbury. The current ownership is with Tribune. Merideth owns our CBS station, WFSB-TV channel 3 of Hartford. NBC owns and operates WVIT-TV channel 30 of New Britiain. Media General owns WTNH-TV (ABC) channel 8 and operates WCTX-TV (MY) channel 59, both of New Haven.

Henry

Exactly how many markets have all of the Big Four TV stations as O&O's of their respective networks? I know New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia and the San Francisco Bay Area have them, but are there any others beyond those five? I'm not too sure about Dallas/Fort Worth, because they have O&O's from NBC, CBS and FOX, and I think the ABC station is too, but that's probably not the case.

Conversely, what is the largest market that does NOT have any O&O's of any network?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bandit957

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 04, 2018, 10:31:17 AMSinclair owns their CBS affiliate, WGME-TV channel 13 of Portland.

So I guess that station is affiliated with the right network. CBS has become just as right-wing as Sinclair lately.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bing101

bing101

bandit957

Quote from: bing101 on April 05, 2018, 10:26:04 AM
Update the Sinclair fallout is now national. Note if you live in San Francisco, Boston, Honolulu or Atlanta you are not affected by the Sinclair fallout. KTXL In the Sacramento area is being targeted by the Sinclair fallout because its owned by Tribune  and Sinclair is taking over the Tribune owned stations like KTLA, KTXL, WPIX and WGN their largest stations.

If the FCC refuses to step in, the states' attorneys general need to - not because of political bias, but because it's creating a monopoly. Fighting monopolies is supposed to be one of government's basic charges - regardless of the monopolists' politics.

ftballfan

Detroit is also Sinclair-free. However, in my home market (Traverse City-Cadillac), the ABC and NBC affiliates are owned by Sinclair. Since Sinclair entered the market, the ABC affiliate has improved drastically and is now a full market affiliate (for years, it wasn't a full market affiliate)

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: bandit957 on April 04, 2018, 11:43:33 AM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 04, 2018, 10:31:17 AMSinclair owns their CBS affiliate, WGME-TV channel 13 of Portland.

So I guess that station is affiliated with the right network. CBS has become just as right-wing as Sinclair lately.

Late night and world news attention time would like to disagree with you. This is IMO though.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: SP Cook on April 04, 2018, 09:57:22 AM
Aww, the mean mean company has an opinion different from the vast majority of the media.   So the big bad city councilman (who I am certain, like 99% city councilmen could walk down main street of his town and not be recognized) is going to not talk to them. 

Nothing to see here, move on.

And yet, the liberal media/cities are going bonkers over this and crying wolf. They are acting like someone is declaring war over this. The 1st amendment protects Sinclair in this case. If the 9th circuit takes it up though, it won't be.

Although this is a biased site (and they admit it), I do think it is well said about this issue: https://www.conservativereview.com/articles/bozell-graham-knee-jerk-liberals-spit-sinclair/

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

vdeane

Sinclair is absolutely far-right.  The script was basically just repeating Trump's lies.  John Oliver showed a must-run where the CEO was attacking "snowflakes".  NOBODY uses that term except far-right extremists.  NOBODY!  Another must-run, the "Terror Alert Desk" is basically anything a Muslim does, since there isn't enough real terrorism to produce a segment every day.  And yes, the script does make local news anchors look like a brainwashed cult.  Remember, this is supposed to be LOCAL news.  Nowhere else in TV news can one find a script being used by so many people.  Local stations should produce their own content.  That is, by definition, local.  Anything else is not.  If Sinclair wants to create a conservative national news outlet, they should start a cable channel.  If one wants national news, that's what the national news is for.  Local news should stay local.  Also, local news should stay nonpartisan.  Since local stations are not expected to be politically biased the way Fox and MSNBC are, someone could easily watch a local program and be brainwashed without even realizing it if they didn't realize their station was a Sinclair station.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/02/trump-biased-liberal-media-television
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KEVIN_224

@ HENRY: WFAA-TV (ABC) channel 8 of Dallas is owned by Tegna, the company spun off from the USA Today people (Gannett?). They also own WCSH-TV (NBC) channel 6 of Portland and WLBZ-TV (NBC) channel 2 of Bangor in Maine. They also own WGRZ-TV (NBC) channel 2 of Buffalo and a few other stations elsewhere.

bing101

The Reason the Sinclair issue has become a national outrage is mainly because Sinclair is about to go get Tribunes New York and Los Angeles stations and now Sinclair is after the Network O&O's in these cities.  Traditionally Sinclair tended to compete against Nexstar, Raycom, Cox, Tribune, Scripps, Morgan Murphy, Hearst, Meredith, Gray, News Press Gazette and Tegna in the markets they serve.
Well Sinclair should be seen as the Cumulus or Iheart of Local Television. But at the same time Sinclair is going after Fox News, the Blaze, Infowars over RNC viewers. It will be interesting how Sinclair will go after two sets of audiences though once they get stations like KTLA and WPIX.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sinclair-broadcast-group-chairman-david-smith-responds-to-criticism/

bing101

Quote from: bandit957 on April 04, 2018, 11:43:33 AM

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/ben-swann-fired-from-cbs46/199782

What did you confuse CBS News with WGCL 46 Atlanta. Well Ben Swann got fired from the Meredith owned CBS affiliate in Atlanta over his ploy to make Meredith air his must run segments last year.

hotdogPi

I'm confused. If Sinclair owns everything, does that mean that MSNBC is now conservative instead of liberal?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: vdeane on April 05, 2018, 02:50:35 PM
Sinclair is absolutely far-right. 
I'm not saying it is, and although my political view lean right (80% conservative), and as much as I may or may not disagree with this (still undecided), they are protected under the 1st amendment.

On the use of snowflakes, yes it is most commonly used by extreme right wing people but not always. My definition is anyone that doesn't follow common sense (both sides of the isle).

On Trump: absolutely he needs to shut his mouth more often (although he was fine on the state of the union) but I do think the overarching problem is both parties not budging on issues. Also I despise Mitch McConnel, and his super Pac that makes lies about certain candidates being RINO's (Ted Cruz) and makes the RINO's seem more conservative than they are.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

bandit957

Quote from: 1 on April 05, 2018, 03:41:53 PM
I'm confused. If Sinclair owns everything, does that mean that MSNBC is now conservative instead of liberal?

MSNBC is very conservative, with the exception of a few journalists.

Brandon

Quote from: bandit957 on April 05, 2018, 06:29:43 PM

:rofl:
What planet are you on?  'Cause it ain't here.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ce929wax

Cable News just sucks in general.  I used to be hooked on it and would surf all three networks and it fed my baser instincts.  Now, I watch the PBS Newshour and the Nightly Business Report before bed each day.

Other than that, I try to avoid politics and religion, because I don't need that kind of negativity in my life.  I'll make my feelings known at the ballot box.

hbelkins

CBS conservative? Hardly. Just about every lead story on the CBS Evening News every night is some sort of Trump-bashing piece.

As for Sinclair, there is absolutely nothing in the statement the anchors were told to read that is not true or has any sort of political bias. There are outlets out there that report untruths, have a bias in the stories they choose to run and how they are presented, etc. Viewers were also invited to let them know if they spotted bias or falsehoods in their reporting.

Having Sinclair TV stations do that is no different than if, say, Gannett told all the newspapers it owns to run an editorial or an opinion column. It's doubtful there would be an outcry if that happened.

Sinclair's biggest sin is that its ownership does not share the same political views as the Rachel Madcows and Joe Scarboroughs of the world.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bing101

Quote from: hbelkins on April 05, 2018, 08:23:46 PM
CBS conservative? Hardly. Just about every lead story on the CBS Evening News every night is some sort of Trump-bashing piece.

As for Sinclair, there is absolutely nothing in the statement the anchors were told to read that is not true or has any sort of political bias. There are outlets out there that report untruths, have a bias in the stories they choose to run and how they are presented, etc. Viewers were also invited to let them know if they spotted bias or falsehoods in their reporting.

Having Sinclair TV stations do that is no different than if, say, Gannett told all the newspapers it owns to run an editorial or an opinion column. It's doubtful there would be an outcry if that happened.

Sinclair's biggest sin is that its ownership does not share the same political views as the Rachel Madcows and Joe Scarboroughs of the world.

The Allegation that CBS is right wing probably came from Atlanta Area Viewers viewing the Ben Swann Must Run Segment on WGCL-TV CBS46 in Atlanta a Meredith Owned station over Pizzagate in 2017 and thats partially how CBS got Labelled Right Wing.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/national/atlanta-news-anchor-fired-after-secretly-trying-revive-alt-right-based-reports/069ihocOfqVw6iayr96cjK/

ATLANTA
The CBS television station in Atlanta has fired its evening anchor, Ben Swann, three days after the station discovered he had tried to revive a controversial news segment without their knowledge.

"Ben Swann is no longer an employee of WGCL-TV, effective immediately. We thank Ben for his contributions and wish him well,"  the statement said.

Swann's Reality Check reports over the years have often veered into alt-right conspiracy theories. His last one focused on PizzaGate a year ago and led to his first suspension and the removal of his Truth in Media website and most of his social media platforms.

Swann recently began raising funds to bring back his Reality Check stories using the cyber currency Dash. He posted a video Thursday night teasing a big announcement on Tuesday, January 30.

His Reality Check operation preceded his hiring at the station in 2015. Echoing right-wing conspiracy sites, Swann has questioned everything from the origins of ISIS to the veracity of the Sandy Hook elementary school shootings to whether Russia was actually involved in the DNC email hacks.
His Truth in Media site was connected with the Republican Liberty Caucus at one point. Before joining the station, he worked for Russia Today, an international television network funded by the Russian government.

bugo

It's ironic how Republican "patriots" bend over and take it from Russian propaganda like Sputnik, Russia Today and Breitbart.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Brandon on April 05, 2018, 07:03:24 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on April 05, 2018, 06:29:43 PM

:rofl:
What planet are you on?  'Cause it ain't here.
The only thing MSLSD is to the right of is CNN.  CNN was a trusted news source during the Gulf War.  Now it's so far to the left it might as well be  Pravda USA. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.