News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Western Louisiana

Started by Grzrd, August 27, 2010, 12:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

QuoteI'd drive 130 miles out of my way and 130 miles back to check on a state-named shield.

To be fair, you're not like most people, or even most roadgeeks.

Grzrd

Maybe some new non-neutered shields will be going up this Summer.  District 4 ((I-20 & I-49) and District 61 (I-10, I-12, and I-110) interstate signage upgrade projects were let yesterday:

http://www.dotd.la.gov/lettings/bidsresl/brhq20110330.asp

737-94-0072 INTERSTATE SIGNAGE UPGRADE DISTRICT 04
UPGRADE INTERSTATE SIGNAGE AND RELATED WORK
Parish(es): District 04
Route(s): I-20 and I-49
Federal: 9410(502)
Estimated Construction Cost: $589,560.00
Apparent Low Bidder: Acacia Industries, LLC
10324 MEADOWVIEW DRIVE
KEITHVILLE,, LA 71047
Phone: (318)470-1917  $348,388.08
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
737-96-0087 (DBE Goal Project) DISTRICT 61 - INTERSTATE SIGNAGE UPGRADE
TRAFFIC SIGNS AND RELATED WORK.
Parish(es): District 61
Route(s): I-10, I-12 & I-110
Federal: 9610(500)
Estimated Construction Cost: $1,727,870.00
Apparent Low Bidder: Ozark Striping Co. Inc
PO BOX 847
OZARK, AL 36361
Phone: (334)774-2138  $1,059,959.64

Grzrd

Tomorrow, NLCOG will discuss a status update on the I-69 SIU 15 that is proposed to be routed to the south of Shreveport.  I don't expect any major announcements, but it will be interesting to see if a project timeline is discussed.

NLCOG's agenda: http://www.nlcog.org/pdfs/MPOPolicy_Agendas/04072011_MPOPolicyAgenda.pdf

NE2

Seems that there's been some rural four-laning, such as the entire length of US 171. Does LA have a general plan or are they just widening roads as traffic demands?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

Re I-69 SIU 15, I believe they are currently reviewing reviewing revisions to the Preferred Alignment that came about after the EIS was issued:

http://www.i69dotd.com/StudyProcess/default.htm

Here's a link to a map which shows the revision to the Preferred Alignment:

http://www.i69dotd.com/Handouts/July2010/Study_Area.pdf

Grzrd

Quote from: NE2 on April 06, 2011, 12:29:23 PM
Seems that there's been some rural four-laning, such as the entire length of US 171. Does LA have a general plan or are they just widening roads as traffic demands?
Here's a link to an overview of the TIMED program:

http://www.timedla.com/programoverview/

Here's a link to a map of the TIMED projects (including US 171):

http://www.timedla.com/improvement/map.htm

NE2

Ah, OK. Perhaps I'll create a new thread in general highways about this sort of statewide plan.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Please do Illinois has a plan but the best are the links to ongoing projects in Midwest Great Lakes and Ohio Valley.
Iowa is almost done

Grzrd

Shreveport may be having its problems with lack of progress on the Inner Loop Extension to the I-69 corridor, but, on the Bossier side of the river, the Arthur Ray Teague Parkway has recently had a land/wetlands swap approved by the feds to allow ITS southward extension to the I-69 corridor:

http://www.bossierpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3256:land-swap-agreement-okd&catid=1:local-news&Itemid=134

Police Jury Administrator Bill Altimus announced Wednesday the jury reached an agreement with the federal government for the southward expansion of the Arthur Ray Teague Parkway ... "The southern extension of Arthur Ray Teague Parkway (ARTP) is the highest priority to this parish. That is absolutely terrific news,"  Altimus said ...
Prior to Altimus' announcement, southward extension of ARTP remained at a stand still while the federal government decided whether to approve a land swap involving an area of protected wetlands ..."We were informed today by Ben Shultz with Congressman Fleming's office that the federal fish and wildlife agency has signed off on the land swap,"  Altimus said ... Since 2004, the parish officials worked to extend ARTP south with the hopes of relieving traffic congestion by constructing a parkway for seamless traffic flow from south Bossier to the Benton Road ... Bossier Parish Engineer Butch Ford said the parish now seeks to extend ARTP much further than its original stopping point at Caplis-Sligo Road ... Last month, the jury approved a contract with Denmen Engineering to create two designs to extend ARTP all the way to the future site of Interstate 69 ... "The portion we are looking at first will go underneath I-69, that's why we are looking at that — to try to give people coming into south Bossier into Bossier City and alternate route.

Grzrd

Work has begun on southward extension of Arthur Ray Teague Parkway to Sligo Road in Bossier Parish, and study regarding possible further southward extension to I-69 corridor should be released in late December to early January:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20111128/NEWS01/111280311/Work-Arthur-Ray-Teague-Parkway-extension-begins?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Construction of the long-awaited southern extension of Arthur Ray Teague Parkway is under way, Bossier Parish officials say.
The $7.4 million project will extend the parkway from its current terminus at the Bossier City limits and curve behind Plantation Trace subdivision before crossing Red River Wildlife Refuge to connect with Sligo Road.
Officials spent more than six years on a land swap agreement with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to acquire a portion of the refuge for the extension. The process required them to purchase adjacent property to the refuge to swap, two acts of Congress to alter the refuge's boundaries and countless meetings between parish and federal officials.
The Bossier Police Jury and its staff "jumped through a lot of hoops over the last couple of years to get to this point," Parish Administrator Bill Altimus said. "We are extremely pleased that this project has started along with, I am sure, all of the folks who travel this area daily."
Once completed, he said, the project should enhance moving around south Bossier.
"The parkway is the future for south Bossier," said newly elected District 1 Police Juror Bob Brotherton, whose district encompasses far south Bossier.
If the parkway continues farther to Taylortown, as the Police jury is considering, the roadway might connect with other transportation venues such as the proposed Interstate 69 corridor or even a bridge across Red River into the Port of Shreveport-Bossier, he said. "Wherever transportation (corridors) are, there is business. "» We have to look down the road. Ten years from now, this is going to be very important to south Bossier. It's just going to be a magnet for growth."
In April, police jurors hired Denmon Engineering to survey and study further extending the parkway south. Results of the $160,000 study are expected to be released in late December or early January, Altimus said.
Construction of the ongoing extension to Sligo Road is expected to take 15 to 18 months, meaning completion in 2013, according to parish engineer Butch Ford.

bassoon1986

Bossier City is one of the fastest growing cities in Louisiana. Most of the growth and development was on the northern end on Airline Drive at I-220, but the southern side of the city is starting to do the same. That area will boom soon and that parkway will be a great thing. Just Barksdale Blvd/US 71 as the only north south highway until ART Parkway was built

Grzrd

In an op-ed in today's Shreveport Times, Brian Bond and Woody Schick of the Greater Shreveport Chamber of Commerce, citing the recent success that a unified effort created in obtaining funding to complete I-49 North, list four major transportation projects in the Greater Shreveport area that need to be prioritized in terms of funding: LA 3132 extension, I-49 Inner City Connector, widen Jimmy Davis bridge, and a new southern entrance to Barksdale Air Force Base:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20120101/OPINION0106/201010301/2012-Preview-Quick-look-key-issues?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE%7Cp

...there are four significant highway construction projects important for our region. It is important for us to prioritize these projects and then work to secure funding to complete them. As we have done in the past, we will survey our members and ask for their input to help prioritize these four projects: extending La. Highway 3132 to the Port of Shreveport-Bossier, the "Inner City" I-49 connector, a new southern entrance for Barksdale Air Force Base and the widening of the Jimmy Davis Bridge over the Red River.

Not surprisingly, I-69 SIU 15, on which a FEIS has not even been completed, is not considered an immediate priority.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 28, 2011, 03:51:01 PM
Work has begun on southward extension of Arthur Ray Teague Parkway to Sligo Road in Bossier Parish, and study regarding possible further southward extension to I-69 corridor should be released in late December to early January:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20111128/NEWS01/111280311/Work-Arthur-Ray-Teague-Parkway-extension-begins?odyssey=nav%7Chead
If the parkway continues farther to Taylortown, as the Police jury is considering, the roadway might connect with other transportation venues such as the proposed Interstate 69 corridor .... In April, police jurors hired Denmon Engineering to survey and study further extending the parkway south. Results of the $160,000 study are expected to be released in late December or early January

This March 23 article indicates that the extension to Taylortown is moving forward:

South Bossier residents get ready.
As construction continues on the Arthur Ray Teague Parkway, parish officials are making plans to extend the road further south to Taylortown.
On Wednesday (March 21), jurors approved a revised corridor to Highway 527, relocating part of the route further east to accommodate concerns brought before them at last month's public meeting.
Parish engineer Butch Ford said the revision would reduce the cost of the project but could affect more wetlands. A firm cost estimate has not been identified but the parish set aside $2.5 million for right of way acquisition in this year.

Quote from: Grzrd on November 28, 2011, 03:51:01 PM
Construction of the ongoing extension to Sligo Road is expected to take 15 to 18 months, meaning completion in 2013, according to parish engineer Butch Ford.

Also, this April 10 article indicates that the extension to Sligo Road should be completed by the end of this year:

Arthur Ray Teague Parkway to Sligo Road, $10 million, extending the parkway from its current terminus at the Bossier City limits behind Plantation Trace subdivision and across a portion of the Red River Wildlife Refuge to connect with Sligo Road. Construction started in November and is expected to be complete by the end of the year.

mcdonaat

Any chance US 165, US 425, and LA 2 can become signed with directional shields from Bastrop to Mer Rouge? I just want to see the faces of the people driving through when you have a road going from Mer Rouge to Bastrop, signed as North, South, and West, all on the same highway.  :spin:

bassoon1986

I'm surprised. No directions on those? LA usually has state highway signs with no direction but US highways?

mcdonaat

Just says US 165/LA 2/US 425... The signs for US 425 that I've seen paired with state routes have no directional banners. I'm gonna take a few photos and send em to the DOTD. If they say that the signs would be confusing, I'll just say that 425 is in La and ark, and 25 is in Georgia. Now that's confusing!

Grzrd

Quote from: bassoon1986 on November 29, 2011, 11:20:26 AM
Bossier City is one of the fastest growing cities in Louisiana. Most of the growth and development was on the northern end on Airline Drive at I-220, but the southern side of the city is starting to do the same. That area will boom soon and that parkway will be a great thing. Just Barksdale Blvd/US 71 as the only north south highway until ART Parkway was built
Quote from: Grzrd on April 21, 2012, 11:10:42 PM
the extension to Sligo Road should be completed by the end of this year:
Arthur Ray Teague Parkway to Sligo Road, $10 million, extending the parkway from its current terminus at the Bossier City limits behind Plantation Trace subdivision and across a portion of the Red River Wildlife Refuge to connect with Sligo Road. Construction started in November and is expected to be complete by the end of the year.

This May 30 TV video report has some footage of construction on the Arthur Ray Teague Parkway, and still projects completion to Sligo Road in January:

There's light at the end of the tunnel for residents who have been looking forward to the Arthur Ray Teague Parkway extension in southern Bossier City.
Crews are set to begin paving the first 1/2 mile section of the Sligo Road Extension in the next couple of weeks.
"This is the terminus of the city project and it goes south and it'll end at U.S. 71," explains Bruce Easterly, Bossier Parish Engineer.
Easterly says the $8 million project to extend the thoroughfare to Sligo Road near Parkway High School is ahead of schedule.
"There's another 2 1/2 miles that has to be prepared and the base constructed and everything ready."
He adds the extension will help lessen the traffic congestion along Barksdale Boulevard, as well as ease the headache of navigating through this busy section of south Bossier.
"You can come on and get on the parkway and the Sligo Road Extension and go on up and hit downtown with no traffic lights."
Upon expected completion in January 2013, the extension will curve behind Plantation Trace neighborhood and across the Red River Wilderness Refuge to connect to Sligo Road.
There are currently additional plans to extend the Parkway even further south, to Taylortown near Louisiana Highway 527.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 13, 2012, 11:42:22 AM
This May 30 TV video report has some footage of construction on the Arthur Ray Teague Parkway, and still projects completion to Sligo Road in January

This article reports on the February 27 ribbon cutting for the Arthur Ray Teague Parkway extension:

Six years in the making, the expanded Arthur Ray Teague Parkway will open Feb. 27 with a ribbon cutting at Colleen Drive near Parkway High School at 10 a.m. .... The original dream was to extend the parkway south to Sligo Road, but now the jury sees a need to keep expanding the parkway south to the proposed intersection of I-69 near Taylortown.
"When you think long term about the unbelievable amount of people that come out of Red River and Webster Parish into Bossier, and when you look at all the options to move traffic in that area being able to come through and extend the parkway as it was intended, it's going to be great benefit to the parish and city,"  said Altimus.
Potential hurdles include buying right of way, ability to perform the extension, and even the Haynesville Shale ....

edit

This TV video report has some footage of the ribboncutting and of the ARTP extension.

Grzrd

This Shreveport Times article includes a video of a drive on the ARTP extension:

.... Bossier Parish intends to spend $1.5 million this year to acquire the rights of way for another parkway extension, this one to reach what they believe will be the new Interstate 69 corridor. And to complete that five miles of road, Ford said, his team will be looking at the experience of finishing Bossier City's newest three miles ....

RPParish

Priority in my Opinion

1 I-10 in Baton Rouge (Mississippi River Bridge to the I 10/12 split)
2 Extension of Interstate 49 from Shreveport to the Arkansas Border
3 I-20 in Monroe and Shreveport
4 Extend I-49 south of Lafayette to New Orleans
5 I-12 from Walker to Slidell
6 I-10 from Texas border to Lake Charles
7 I-10 in New Orleans (Williams Boulevard to Causeway Boulevard)

Most Realistic to Happen

1 Extension of Interstate 49 from Shreveport to the Arkansas Border
2 I-12 from Walker to Slidell
3 I-10 from Texas border to Lake Charles
4 I-20 in Monroe and Shreveport
5 I-10 in New Orleans (Williams Boulevard to Causeway Boulevard)
6 Extend I-49 south of Lafayette to New Orleans
7 I-10 in Baton Rouge (Mississippi River Bridge to the I 10/12 split)

Anthony_JK

Quote from: RPParish on March 26, 2013, 05:02:29 PM
Priority in my Opinion

Most Realistic to Happen

I-49 North is almost finished (save for the Inner City Connector segment through downtown Shereveport); I-10 through Baton Rouge is simply a pipe dream since the Perkins Road neighborhoods oppose any widening of the existing route; and I-10 between LCH and the TX border is essentially finished save for the upgraded Calcasieu River bridge (and I-210 buys time there).

My list of priorities:

1) I-49 South from Lafayette to Morgan City (including I-49 Connector through Lafayette)
2) I-49 Inner City Connector in Shereveport
3) I-20 widening in Shreveport and Monroe
4) I-10 widening in Lafayette
5) South Bypass Loop OR LA 1/Sunshine Bridge/LA 70 Toll Bypass around BTR/Plaquemine/Donaldsonville
6) I-12 widening Satsuma to I-10/I-59 interchange in Slidell
7) I-49 South Raceland to I-310 segment w/ temp. tie-in to I-10 via I-310
8) Complete Westbank Expressway upgrade to US 90
9) I-10 widening I-310 to Causeway Blvd. (w/ directional connectors to NOLA Louie Armstrong International Airport from/to W I-10)

RPParish

Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 26, 2013, 05:39:15 PM
Priority in my Opinion

Most Realistic to Happen

I-49 North is almost finished (save for the Inner City Connector segment through downtown Shereveport); I-10 through Baton Rouge is simply a pipe dream since the Perkins Road neighborhoods oppose any widening of the existing route; and I-10 between LCH and the TX border is essentially finished save for the upgraded Calcasieu River bridge (and I-210 buys time there).

My list of priorities:

1) I-49 South from Lafayette to Morgan City (including I-49 Connector through Lafayette)
5) South Bypass Loop OR LA 1/Sunshine Bridge/LA 70 Toll Bypass around BTR/Plaquemine/Donaldsonville
9) I-10 widening I-310 to Causeway Blvd. (w/ directional connectors to NOLA Louie Armstrong International Airport from/to W I-10)
Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 26, 2013, 05:39:15 PM
Priority in my Opinion

Most Realistic to Happen

My list of priorities:

How do you rank these in terms of having a shot to be completed?

I-10 thru Baton Rouge have to be the most head scratching segment of Louisiana's interstates. I agree with you, I dont know how you solve this problem.

Just wondering, why is finishing I-49 south is such a major priority in your opinion?

bassoon1986

I saw a LA 1258 shield in alexandria today. Are they still adding state routes? Because ive never seen this one before. Its on old boyce rd turning south from air base rd at I-49. No jct signs from air base rd (la 498) and I didn't folkow it any further as I was just stopping for gas to make it home to Pineville.

brownpelican

Quote from: RPParish on March 27, 2013, 03:11:21 PM
Just wondering, why is finishing I-49 south is such a major priority in your opinion?

1. Another hurricane evacuation route to Lafayette.
2. A direct freeway to the Port of New Orleans.

NE2

Quote from: brownpelican on May 19, 2013, 10:50:44 PM
2. A direct freeway to the Port of New Orleans.
From where? Morgan City?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.