News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: akotchi on September 04, 2019, 01:17:37 PMTrenton was an approved control city for I-95 for as long as AASHTO kept a list of them.  With the rerouting of I-95, Trenton is not on the beaten path any longer, but is accessible from routes that I-95 accesses.  It does not necessarily have to be retained as a control city.  Pennsylvania, however, addressed this from the south by showing both Trenton and New York on northbound guide signs, where space allowed, whether new or retrofitted existing panels, with New York being the default where space did not allow.
Actually, the only signs that presently list both Trenton & New York for I-95 northbound in PA are the ones at the PA 413 (Exit 39/Former Exit 40) interchange.  Such was done because this interchange is located just south of the I-95/276/295 interchange.  Such also include a TO EAST 295 reference to reinforce the use of Trenton on those signs.  Most if not all the northbound ramps signs from I-676/US 30 and northward were changed from Trenton to New York.

Quote from: akotchi on September 04, 2019, 01:17:37 PMTrenton accompanies I-295 at Exit 40.
Assuming that you're referring to the new interchange/connection.  Signing I-295 for Trenton there makes complete logical sense.  The issue I had was signing then-I-95 for Trenton north of the US 1 interchange near Langhorne; newer signs using Princeton from that interchange northward started appearing over a decade ago.

Quote from: akotchi on September 04, 2019, 01:17:37 PMI do wonder, though, why Newark is not included as a northbound control city.
Older ramp signs for the northbound NJ Turnpike used to use a Newark/New York combination.

Quote from: akotchi on September 04, 2019, 01:17:37 PMThing are the way they are because there are many different state and toll agencies (in many states) at work that consider this issue differently enough (including whether changes are worth it) that there are inconsistencies or snubs.  The MUTCD may be there to encourage consistency, but it is a toothless document with standards and guidelines (after all, it was created in 1935) that is viewed differently by the various agencies.
With regards to MUTCD; the recent change I've seen lately is that many agencies, the NJTA being no exception, are discarding the listing of state names (although I've seen some exceptions), crossings (with some exceptions) and/or regions in favor of actual cities/municipalities.  I.e. taking the term control city literally.  IMHO, it would've been better/more useful to simply revise the MUTCD verbage from control city to control point or destination.  Problem/issue solved.

That said & I mentioned such way up-thread, the signing of the current I-95 & NJ Turnpike corridors IMHO would've been better served by the listing of states.  PA - DE or the old-school Penna. - Delaware could've been placed underneath the Newark/Trenton/Camden listings on the southbound I-95/NJ Turnpike signs through Exit 7.  To this day, DelDOT still uses a NJ - NY listing for many of its I-295 northbound signs so a precedent to do similar along southbound I-95/NJ Turnpike does exist.

Side bar: older/now gone through-signage for the southbound NJ Turnpike at Exit 6 used to have a Camden/Delaware listing.

A three-line listing of cities (Newark/Trenton/Camden - Philadelphia - Wilmington) listing could work too; but such would require taller sign boards.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 04, 2019, 02:05:10 PM
Anyways, getting back to PA again...how is work progressing on the Scudders Falls bridge at the NJ line?

I had to laugh at this a little...as it's still off-topic!  :-D

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2146.0

KEVIN_224

almost 10 year ago to boot! Damn!

SignBridge

I've long agreed with PHLBOS that the MUTCD's requirement for use of only control cities is unreasonably narrow and unrealistic, especially in the New York City metro area. There are many locations where a regional name or bridge/tunnel, etc. may be more useful than a city name.

One such sign from yester-year that I especially miss was on the approach to the NJ Turnpike from the Lincoln Tunnel, which said: NJ Turnpike South, Pa-Del-Md.

famartin

Quote from: akotchi on September 04, 2019, 01:17:37 PM
My head spins every time I see this control city debate reignite . . .

Frankly, IMHO, there is no "correct" answer in this debate because it is trying to put a square peg (requirements for control cities) in a round hole (roads that go near but not to or through such control cities).

My take, just to throw gas on the brush fire (and give me a reason for my head to spin), is below.  I will never claim to be an authority on the subject, but opinion is my admission to this debate.  Some will be consistent with what others have said (perhaps a few times), some will be different.

Trenton was an approved control city for I-95 for as long as AASHTO kept a list of them.  With the rerouting of I-95, Trenton is not on the beaten path any longer, but is accessible from routes that I-95 accesses.  It does not necessarily have to be retained as a control city.  Pennsylvania, however, addressed this from the south by showing both Trenton and New York on northbound guide signs, where space allowed, whether new or retrofitted existing panels, with New York being the default where space did not allow.  Trenton accompanies I-295 at Exit 40.  For consistency, the same should be done from the north on the Turnpike.  Between Exit 13 and Exit 8, Trenton and Philadelphia should be shown on southbound pull throughs, with Trenton disappearing at Exit 7A and Philadelphia accompanying I-95 off at Exit 6.  If space is an issue, show Philadelphia only.

South of Exit 6 on the Turnpike, control cities are derived from a different approach.  I borrow from N.J.'s westerly neighbor to state that the Pa. Turnpike does not go to Philadelphia, Harrisburg or Pittsburgh, the three control cities most often shown on pull-throughs, but passes near them and has exits that go there.  There are numerous examples on the free highways where a specific route number does not go into a city (I-80 to New York, I-70 to Washington, for examples) -- control cities are neither an exact nor absolute science, but pull-through and exit control cities are the bread crumb trail that can be followed from a long way out even if the route numbers are covered.  Given this philosophy, Camden is fine south of Exit 6 to Exit 3.  Wilmington is the nearest city to the end of the Turnpike, so it would be used from Exit 3 down through I-295 across the DMB.

Northbound approaching New York City is a different animal that I may address another time.  I do wonder, though, why Newark is not included as a northbound control city.

Thing are the way they are because there are many different state and toll agencies (in many states) at work that consider this issue differently enough (including whether changes are worth it) that there are inconsistencies or snubs.  The MUTCD may be there to encourage consistency, but it is a toothless document with standards and guidelines (after all, it was created in 1935) that is viewed differently by the various agencies.  It it perfect . . . hell no, and it never will be.  Do we, as roadgeeks (or even practitioners) like it . . . not really.  The motoring public seems to get around, though, at least for the most part.

Now I feel better.  Perhaps it was the Motrin.  Thanks for reading.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder... have the turnpike control cities EVER really changed, other than changing Delaware to Wilmington?  I know New York, Trenton and Camden have been used forever, it seems.  I guess I'd have to review old sign photos, but for the turnpike (as with the MDTA), "why change it if it works" might be their mantra. 

As far as why northbound uses "New York" continuously while southbound changes multiple times... that's part of my theory as to the NJTA being North Jersey/NYC centric.  Which also partly explains why they care nothing for putting Philly as a control city too...  I mean, for the majority of New Jerseyans (i.e., the northerners), there is, after all, only one "City"...

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on September 04, 2019, 08:52:05 PMAs far as why northbound uses "New York" continuously while southbound changes multiple times... that's part of my theory as to the NJTA being North Jersey/NYC centric.
Another thing to consider is that for one entering NJ from the Delaware Memorial Bridge, I-295 is signed for both Camden & Trenton; US 130 was likely signed for such (at least for Camden anyway) prior to I-295's existence.  Such is one reason why northbound NJ Turnpike ramp signage either listed just New York or a Newark/New York combination.

Aug. 2009 GSV shot of the original NJ Turnpike ramp signage at Exit 7A.  Note the use of Penn Extension in reference to the connector (current I-95) on the southbound panel.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 05, 2019, 08:30:40 AM
Quote from: famartin on September 04, 2019, 08:52:05 PMAs far as why northbound uses "New York" continuously while southbound changes multiple times... that's part of my theory as to the NJTA being North Jersey/NYC centric.
Another thing to consider is that for one entering NJ from the Delaware Memorial Bridge, I-295 is signed for both Camden & Trenton; US 130 was likely signed for such (at least for Camden anyway) prior to I-295's existence.  Such is one reason why northbound NJ Turnpike ramp signage either listed just New York or a Newark/New York combination.

Aug. 2009 GSV shot of the original NJ Turnpike ramp signage at Exit 7A.  Note the use of Penn Extension in reference to the connector (current I-95) on the southbound panel.

I do remember that, at least the Penn Extension part.  I had forgotten that Newark was also signed.  I wonder if it was ever signed elsewhere in that stretch, as I seem to recall most of the entrances south of Newark generally read "New York and NORTH" (older signage) or simply "95 North/Turnpike North" (newer signage). 

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on September 05, 2019, 03:57:05 PMI do remember that, at least the Penn Extension part.  I had forgotten that Newark was also signed.  I wonder if it was ever signed elsewhere in that stretch, as I seem to recall most of the entrances south of Newark generally read "New York and NORTH" (older signage) or simply "95 North/Turnpike North" (newer signage).
When the Exit 7 interchange was redone during the early 90s; the northbound ramp sign was essentially a newer version (reflectorized non-button-copy) of the fore-mentioned original Exit 7A sign.  Prior southbound ramp signage included the Penn. Extension/Camden message as well.  I'm guessing that the prior (before 1990s) signs listed similar messages.  To my knowledge, those locations were the only ones that featured dual-control point listings for both directions.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Quote from: famartin on September 04, 2019, 08:52:05 PM
As far as why northbound uses "New York" continuously while southbound changes multiple times... that's part of my theory as to the NJTA being North Jersey/NYC centric.  Which also partly explains why they care nothing for putting Philly as a control city too...  I mean, for the majority of New Jerseyans (i.e., the northerners), there is, after all, only one "City"...
In that case, I would expect the opposite to be true. If I were North Jersey centric, I'd put Woodbridge, Elizabeth, and Newark up there, while sticking Philadelphia southbound since South Jersey doesn't exist.

jaip

I live and work in the region. North Jerseyeans heavily prefer NYC, over their own cities. Some outright consider themselves New Yorkers and don't care about Philadelphia/South Jersey. I think they would rather include cities in South Jersey over Philly on southbound TPK even though they don’t care about South Jersey.

PHLBOS

Observations as of this past weekend (Oct. 25-27) while driving to/from the Newburyport meet:

Exit 7: All but one pull-through sign has been replaced with ones having I-95 shields.  The inner-northbound BGS still has the older panel (containing THRU TRAFFIC wording) sans the I-95 shield.  One the way home, yesterday; I was able to see (at a glance) that the ramps signs beyond the toll plaza were also replaced.

Exits 7A & 8 : All pull-through signs have since been replaced with ones having I-95 shields on them.

Exit 8A: As mentioned several posts/pages back, only one BGS in northbound outer lanes was changed.  All others are still ones having blank spaces reserved for an I-95 shield.

On the PA side, along I-95 southbound (PA Turnpike westbound); a new ground-mounted BGS reading 95 SOUTH RIGHT LANE was erected at roughly this location, just inside the temporary Jersey barrier.  To some degree, this new sign seems to contradict the main overhead signs indicating that I-95 southbound is served by both mainline lanes.  IMHO, STAY or KEEP RIGHT would've been more applicable/appropriate message.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 28, 2019, 09:31:24 AM
On the PA side, along I-95 southbound (PA Turnpike westbound); a new ground-mounted BGS reading 95 SOUTH RIGHT LANE was erected at roughly this location, just inside the temporary Jersey barrier.  To some degree, this new sign seems to contradict the main overhead signs indicating that I-95 southbound is served by both mainline lanes.  IMHO, STAY or KEEP RIGHT would've been more applicable/appropriate message.

I think that a sign reading "I-276 / PATP WEST, LEFT LANE" would be more appropriate with the PA Turnpike being the exit and being the one you need to get over for.

The overhead diagrammatic signs aren't perfect either, as the exit-only lane that becomes I-276's left lane forms on the left, with both lanes prior to the interchange becoming the right two lanes approaching the split. However, the signs before the third lane forms still have three lanes on the diagram, as diagrammatic signs generally do, so there's no indication of which side the lane forms on, only a vague sense of keep left/keep right for either option.

It doesn't help that the two-lane I-95 northbound approaching the I-295 split is the opposite, with the left lane of I-95 becoming the exit-only lane for I-295, and what becomes the right lane on the flyover forming on the right. I'm not sure why they designed it this way. Even if you must keep the lane drop at Exit 39 (which is weird in its own right), it seems like it would make more sense to have I-295's exit-only lane form on the left and both lanes of I-95 feed directly onto the flyover.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 28, 2019, 10:34:16 AM

I think that a sign reading "I-276 / PATP WEST, LEFT LANE" would be more appropriate with the PA Turnpike being the exit and being the one you need to get over for.

I'm guessing that if that sign was installed, the Turnpike was having issues with people not understanding the really big overhead signs, and that staying in the left lane wouldn't do drivers any good if they wanted to stay on 95. I guess the 95 right lane sign is to encourage motorists to move over earlier.

Maybe this is also an indication of the number of motorists that insist on keeping left for no reason, and not realizing they need to keep right, causing them to switch lanes at the last moment.

Roadsguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 28, 2019, 10:42:30 AM

I'm guessing that if that sign was installed, the Turnpike was having issues with people not understanding the really big overhead signs, and that staying in the left lane wouldn't do drivers any good if they wanted to stay on 95. I guess the 95 right lane sign is to encourage motorists to move over earlier.

Maybe this is also an indication of the number of motorists that insist on keeping left for no reason, and not realizing they need to keep right, causing them to switch lanes at the last moment.

The left lane of the two-lane section does feed onto the flyover, though, becoming an option lane that also feeds into the right lane of I-276.

I really wish the third lane started sooner, as signing the entire thing with APLs from the very beginning would make it much simpler. I suppose they could now if they really wanted to (having a straight/right arrow and a right arrow, though this might result in a weird sign layout), but I don't think PennDOT or the PTC like to use APLs if the lane configuration changes over the course of the advance signage. DelDOT is planning something like this on I-95 southbound approaching the DE 141 exit when they do a reconfiguration there, with a straight-straight-straight/right arrow setup before the ramp from I-495 merges in and creates an exit-only lane.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alps

The overhead diagrammatic signs aren't perfect either, as the exit-only lane that becomes I-276's left lane forms on the left, with both lanes prior to the interchange becoming the right two lanes approaching the split. However, the signs before the third lane forms still have three lanes on the diagram, as diagrammatic signs generally do, so there's no indication of which side the lane forms on, only a vague sense of keep left/keep right for either option.

It doesn't help that the two-lane I-95 northbound approaching the I-295 split is the opposite, with the left lane of I-95 becoming the exit-only lane for I-295, and what becomes the right lane on the flyover forming on the right. I'm not sure why they designed it this way. Even if you must keep the lane drop at Exit 39 (which is weird in its own right), it seems like it would make more sense to have I-295's exit-only lane form on the left and both lanes of I-95 feed directly onto the flyover.
I'm really not sure why they designed I-95 NB with a lane drop to 2 lanes just before the split between two 2-lane freeways, and delineated by guiderail such that they can't widen to 3 lanes without tearing it out.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on October 28, 2019, 11:38:33 PM

I'm really not sure why they designed I-95 NB with a lane drop to 2 lanes just before the split between two 2-lane freeways, and delineated by guiderail such that they can't widen to 3 lanes without tearing it out.

Having driven the interchange a lot now, and getting some time to think about it, my impression is that they designed it the way they did to keep people who've driven through there for years from accidentally going the wrong way. That's the only explanation I can think of for why I-95 exits right but merges from the left in both directions, when they probably could've done it cheaper by having it exit right and then merge back right. They may eventually regret their decision, but I'm sure its prevented a lot of long-time highway users from accidentally going the wrong way.

jeffandnicole

What sounds like it could be been a catastrophic event shortly before Thanksgiving is barely getting any news.  A tanker truck caught fire on an I-95 overpass over Bristol Pike between Philly and the PA Turnpike.  Yet, 12 hours later, 95 appears to be fully open and flowing at normal speed!  (I was first alerted to this issue around midnight via a VMS on 295 in NJ near Exit 22.)

https://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/news/20191115/i-95-closed-due-to-tanker-fire-in-bensalem

https://6abc.com/automotive/tanker-car-involved-in-fiery-crash-on-i-95-in-bucks-county/5700678/

PHLBOS

Observations as of this past Thanksgiving weekend (Nov. 27 - Dec. 2):

Exit 7: All pull-through signs now have I-95 shields on them.

Exits 7A: Ramp signs for the Turnpike beyond the toll plaza do not yet have I-95 shields on them

Exit 8A: Both northbound pull-through signs have I-95 shields on them but both southbound signs still do not.

Along the PA Connector itself, a mileage sign is posted along the westbound (I-95 southbound) side prior to the mainline toll plaza.  Such lists the distances to I-276, I-676/Philadelphia (25 miles), & Harrisburg.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mr. Matté

Also off the Pike: This somewhat new old-school sign was recently replaced with a boring green sign with I-95 / NJTP logo and "N J  Turnpike" + arrow

storm2k

Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 02, 2019, 04:11:41 PM
Also off the Pike: This somewhat new old-school sign was recently replaced with a boring green sign with I-95 / NJTP logo and "N J  Turnpike" + arrow

NJTA has been retiring the last of the green on whites, I believe. This guy at the Exit 12 entrance ramp that was installed in 2009 when Exit 12 was redone just got replaced in the last month or so as well. Same deal. 95 shield, Turnpike shield, boring NJDOT-esque "NJ Turnpike" legend.

Roadsguy

Quote from: storm2k on December 04, 2019, 03:10:00 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 02, 2019, 04:11:41 PM

NJTA has been retiring the last of the green on whites, I believe. This guy at the Exit 12 entrance ramp that was installed in 2009 when Exit 12 was redone just got replaced in the last month or so as well. Same deal. 95 shield, Turnpike shield, boring NJDOT-esque "NJ Turnpike" legend.

At least most of the NJTA's MUTCD signage I've seen is designed flawlessly and without using Clearview, which is more than can be said for many other places.

NJRoadfan

Why the heck aren't they putting control cities on these signs already? They started doing it with the GSP onramps, but not the Turnpike.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 04, 2019, 04:57:03 PMAt least most of the NJTA's MUTCD signage I've seen is designed flawlessly and without using Clearview, which is more than can be said for many other places.
To my knowledge, the NJTA never adopted the use of Clearview; so one wouldn't expect to see such on their signs. 

Signs for the Delaware River Bridge AET info. as well as the 3 miles advance BGS for PA's Exit 42/US 13 along the westbound Connector (I-95 southbound) being the sole Clearview installs within the NJ Turnpike system.  Whether those were PTC designed/spec'd or just rouge installs in terms of format is any outsider's guess.  Someone who works within or alongside either the NJTA and/or PTC would likely know the design history behind those two signs.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 04, 2019, 05:07:10 PM
Why the heck aren't they putting control cities on these signs already? They started doing it with the GSP onramps, but not the Turnpike.

Even though they've been under one agency for over 15 years , it's amazing how they've managed to keep their identities separate.  Examples include GSP not using VSLSs, although the recently installed VMS gantries were made to use them should they wish. They've kept the standard skip line markings, not the skip-lines-on-steroids that the Turnpike uses.   The NJ Turnpike has only recently started to use dot lines to delineate accel/decal lanes,  unlike the GSP which was the only agency/department in the state to use them for decades prior to anyone else.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 05, 2019, 09:07:42 AMEven though they've been under one agency for over 15 years , it's amazing how they've managed to keep their identities separate.  Examples include GSP not using VSLSs, although the recently installed VMS gantries were made to use them should they wish. They've kept the standard skip line markings, not the skip-lines-on-steroids that the Turnpike uses.   The NJ Turnpike has only recently started to use dot lines to delineate accel/decal lanes,  unlike the GSP which was the only agency/department in the state to use them for decades prior to anyone else.
To add, even with the recent sign replacement contracts along both roadways; the gantry style used for overhead-mounted sign panels along the GSP are still a different style than the ones used for the NJ Turnpike.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.