News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longest and shortest posted Adopt-A-Highways

Started by michravera, June 13, 2018, 08:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michravera

I seem to remember some sections of I-15 in Eastern California and sections of US-95 in Nevada as having "Adopt-A-Highway" sections posted as approximately 40 miles or more. Can anyone document my recollection? And beat it in other places?

I am also interested in short sections, but those have to be posted in order to be interesting.

roadman

Adopt-A-Highway segments are typically 2 miles in length.  The appearance of longer segments could simply be that nobody has expressed interest in those sections, so the DOT hasn't put signs up for them.

For the I-15 segments, I'd be curious if the signs actually say "NEXT 40 MILES."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

michravera

Quote from: roadman on June 14, 2018, 10:24:29 AM
Adopt-A-Highway segments are typically 2 miles in length.  The appearance of longer segments could simply be that nobody has expressed interest in those sections, so the DOT hasn't put signs up for them.

For the I-15 segments, I'd be curious if the signs actually say "NEXT 40 MILES."

"Typically 2 Miles": Absolutely! That's why I am calling out any that are substantially longer or very short.

As for I-15, as I said, I would like the documentary evidence (and thinking about it, it might be CASR-58) of what I am pretty sure that I saw. I-5 near the section between Utica Ave and Twissleman Rd is another possibility.

roadfro

Quote from: michravera on June 13, 2018, 08:55:40 PM
I seem to remember some sections of I-15 in Eastern California and sections of US-95 in Nevada as having "Adopt-A-Highway" sections posted as approximately 40 miles or more. Can anyone document my recollection? And beat it in other places?

I am also interested in short sections, but those have to be posted in order to be interesting.

Nevada's "Sponsor A Highway" standard sign indicates "Next 1 Mile". The "Adopt A Highway / Litter Control" standard sign does not include a distance legend–however, I'm fairly confident that such sections in Nevada are one- or two-mile segments. (I'm actually not sure the difference between the programs, other than I think the "Sponsor" version is used on urban freeways and the "Adopt" version is used on rural highways. I can't find info on NDOT's website to confirm details for either program.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

MNHighwayMan

While it existed, MN-333 was 0.492 miles long. When I stopped by the former route in 2014, it still had this Adopt-a-Highway sign posted near its southern terminus with MN-99.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.