News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

OTA posts Clearview meatcleaver

Started by Scott5114, March 11, 2009, 02:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

http://www.flickr.com/photos/okroads/3282772917/sizes/o/in/set-72157613848096107/

Photo by Eric Stuve. All I can say is, wow.  :-o

And of course that  makes it horribly off-spec... 3 digit (or 2 plus suffix) routes are supposed to be in Series B. The Clearview equivalent would be Series 1. And of course the suffix is supposed to be smaller than the route number...

Great find, Eric.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

okroads

Thanks Scott. It seems like Clearview is more common in northeast Oklahoma than any other section of the state. A bunch of signs in Tulsa along I-44 & I-244 are now Clearview, too. About the only places in Oklahoma City that I've seen Clearview is along Lincoln Blvd. near the State Capitol, and along I-40 between Morgan Road and MacArthur.

Scott5114

I've seen some Clearview on I-235 as well. Also, a lot of big white Clearview signs were posted along the Interstates throughout the state reminding you to move out of the way of emergency vehicles–there's one just north of my interchange.

Clearview used to really irritate me but I forced myself to get used to it by making up a bunch of signs at work in it. (So if you ever find yourself in a fast food restaurant with Clearview signage, now you'll know why...) Now it doesn't bother me at all...in fact I may be getting attached to it! (It helps that a lot of the new Clearview signs are laid out better than the FHWA Series signs!)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alex

I've slowly gotten used to it. Not that I like it, but it is fast becoming the norm.

Chris

What does the "no refund" sign mean?

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

okroads

Quote from: Chris on March 12, 2009, 10:31:19 AM
What does the "no refund" sign mean?
This exit (OK 51B) is on the eastbound Muskogee Turnpike east of the mainline toll plaza. Motorists pay the full toll at the toll plaza as if they were going to travel the entire turnpike. If they exit before the end of the turnpike, then they get a refund of part of their toll at the off-ramp's toll gate. This particular exit does not have a toll gate, thus, there is no refund.

Chris

I see... Strange system, I haven't heard of something similar in Europe. A lot of European toll roads have a "closed" ticket system. Others have an open system with one mainline toll barrier and perhaps a lower toll at some entrances/exits.

mightyace

Quote from: Chris on March 12, 2009, 11:38:12 AM
I see... Strange system, I haven't heard of something similar in Europe. A lot of European toll roads have a "closed" ticket system. Others have an open system with one mainline toll barrier and perhaps a lower toll at some entrances/exits.

I think that this system is unique to Oklahoma.

Most of the older cross-state tollways (PA Turnpike, NY Thruway, Mass Pike west of Boston, NJ TPK, Ohio TPK, Indiana Toll Road, Kansas TPK, rural section of Florida's Turnpike, etc.) are closed ticket systems with maybe some miles of open systems.  Most urban and/or shorter roads are open systems.  It also seems like all of the new toll roads are open systems.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

okroads

Quote from: Chris on March 12, 2009, 11:38:12 AM

That system is a bit unusual, but again, it is Oklahoma we are talking about.  :-D Before the toll plazas were moved in the early 90s to go along with the introduction of PikePass (OK's version of EZPass), the Turner & Will Rogers Turnpikes (both part of I-44) used the closed ticket system. There may have been a couple others that used this system, but I can't remember them at this point.

The old gates on the Turner Turnpike stood for several years in Oklahoma City (just east of I-35) and Tulsa (just southwest of OK 66). Too bad I wasn't yet driving age at that time, and had no clue that people took road pictures, or otherwise I would've taken pictures of them.

bugo

I've driven by that sign several times and didn't even notice the shield was in Uglyview.  The Clearview BGS signs on the Muskogee are hard to read at night.  I miss the old FHWA fonts.

Every new sign that I've seen go up in the Tulsa area in the last 2 years or so seems to be Clearview.

Speaking of ugly signs, has anyone seen the "CONCESSIONS" sign on EB US 412/Cherokee Turnpike near the service area?  The letters are all mixed and matched,and the "E" seems to be made from a reversed "3".  Hopefully somebody with a better camera than I can get a picture before it gets Clearviewed. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.