News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Routes that automatically "downgrade" along their length

Started by hotdogPi, December 21, 2013, 02:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

For example, MA 2.

Acton - Phillipston: Full freeway (except for a few at-grade).
Phillipston - Athol: Barely divided, with interchanges.
Athol - Erving: Undivided, with interchanges.
Erving - Williamstown: Normal 2-lane surface road. Still used often.
NY 2: Normal 2-lane surface road. Most people use NY 7 instead, especially in the western 5 or so miles.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

hotdogPi

Just from freeway to non-freeway is not enough. It needs several steps.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

NJ 7: 2 lane undivided side road, 4 lane undivided city street, 3 lane undivided through highway, multilane freeway.
NJ 17: 2 lane undivided city street, 4 lane undivided major street, 4-6 lane divided with traffic lights, 6 lane divided with no lights.
NJ 29: 2 lane back-country road, 4 lane parkway with signals, 6 lane freeway.
For fun: NJ 64: 2 lane undivided street, undivided "Super 2" freeway, 4+ lane arterial.

NE2

If there's no route that includes freeway and unpaved road I'll shit a brick. I suppose there's California SR 168, freeway to unbuilt.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DTComposer

Off the top of my head, the following California routes all have sections of 1) Freeway, 2) Urban Highway/Arterial Street, 3) Two-lane rural route:

CA-1
CA-2
CA-12
CA-23
CA-35
CA-41
CA-78
CA-92
US-101

Of these, I'd say CA-2 has the most "balance" between the types of road.

CA-35 probably has the least "developed" segment of any of these roads (the segment between CA-17 and CA-9), but its freeway segment is very short.

It should be noted that most of these routes have discontinuities; I think only CA-92, US-101 (Golden Gate Bridge notwithstanding) and the Oxnard-San Juan Capistrano section of CA-1 are the only ones that achieve all three types in one continuous segment.

jeffandnicole

But looking at it the other way, wouldn't it be more impressive...little 1 lane country road becomes full freeway?

NE2

Not quite the same thing, but the local road continuing north from the end of I-229 near Sioux Falls used to be unpaved.
http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-229_sd.html

The Goog shows that it's now a normal two-laner with centerline.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

For anyone who's been to Christiansburg, Va., lately, what happens to the through route of the US 460 bypass south of I-81?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

pj3970

Quote from: hbelkins on December 21, 2013, 06:35:29 PM
For anyone who's been to Christiansburg, Va., lately, what happens to the through route of the US 460 bypass south of I-81?

It drops off to a two lane secondary route...only I forgot what the route number is...although the name is Falling Branch Rd. IIRC

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: NE2 on December 21, 2013, 03:36:46 PM
If there's no route that includes freeway and unpaved road I'll shit a brick. I suppose there's California SR 168, freeway to unbuilt.
MN-65 used to do that, but the state finally paved the northernmost segment. (Which had an ADT of about 50).
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Mapmikey

not what the OP initially asked but...

VA 91 has a Bypass-Business route set-up in Glade Spring and 20 miles later VA 91 is unpaved...

Are there any other current primary routes with an unpaved segment and a Bypass-Business route somewhere else?

Mapmikey

cpzilliacus

Md. 32 starts out as a four-lane freeway near Gambrills, Anne Arundel County.

Continues as freeway past Fort Meade and NSA, then the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, into Howard County, then U.S. 1, I-95, U.S. 29 to Md. 108, where it narrows to two lanes but partial access control.

It changes direction from E-W to N-S at Md. 108 and continues as a very busy two-lane highway north to a diamond interchange at I-70.  Beyond I-70, there are more intersections at-grade, but still fairly straight, portions with a suicide lane in the middle. 

At Sykesville the road enters Carroll County, and the number of driveways and small streets increases.  North of Eldersburg the road lacks shoulders and the number of sharp curves and residential development and businesses tight up against the road continue, until the road ends in Westminster.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

NJ 23 used to be two lane street in Verona, four lane arterial with a narrow down to two lanes in Downtown Cedar Grove, back to four lanes undivided, then two in the former Singac which is now part of Little Falls.  Then at the Willowbrook retail area it widens to four lanes again (undivided) then passes through ramps in a major tangle, then freeway for a bit with over 10 lanes (used to be four lane undivided), then six lane highway (used to be Jersey freeway with many roundabouts), and then at Kinnelon it drops to four lanes rural Jersey Freeway before it turns four lane divided with signals, and finally at Stockholm drops to two lane undivided to its northern terminus at the NY State Line.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on December 21, 2013, 05:40:36 PM
Not quite the same thing, but the local road continuing north from the end of I-229 near Sioux Falls used to be unpaved.

I nearly got killed at that interchange when I was trying to merge from NB I-229 to WB I-90 when a car wouldn't let me over.  I sped up and he sped up.  I slowed down and he slowed down.  I finally got behind him and flew past him (that's not the only thing that "flew") and didn't see him again.

cpzilliacus

Another road that downgrades itself is Va. 76 (Pohwhite Parkway (toll road)) in Chesterfield County. 

Headed west after the last toll barrier, a driver arrives at the full cloverleaf interchange at Va. 288.  Staying westbound, a sign of decline is evident as one approaches the signalized intersection at Va. 754, Charter Colony Parkway.  Continuing west on what is now Va. 652, Old Hundred Road, it gets smaller and narrower, passing through some forested areas and some developed areas until it comes to an end at U.S. 60 (Midlothian Turnpike).

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Thing 342

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 21, 2013, 05:33:43 PM
But looking at it the other way, wouldn't it be more impressive...little 1 lane country road becomes full freeway?

AK-2 starts unpaved in Manley Hot Springs, becomes paved at the Dalton Highway (AK-11) in Livengood, and then becomes a divided expressway near Fairbanks, all in the span of about 162 miles.

Roadsguy

Though it's not the same route the whole way, I-79, after ending at Erie, goes from long-distance Interstate to an inconsistent-lane parkway. The parkway turns off itself at an intersection, and the straight movement takes you on a little two-lane road that dumps you here.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

SD Mapman

Quote from: NE2 on December 21, 2013, 05:40:36 PM

They transitioned the pavement change north about 3 miles. On the other hand, there's a 4-lane surface street (Benson Road)
just south of there that directly transitions into an unpaved road. (There's photos somewhere, but here's the map) I know it's not a numbered route, but it's the best I can find. SD routes don't get very built up in the first place.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.