News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

TxDOT announces $1.3 billion congestion relief program

Started by MaxConcrete, January 28, 2016, 12:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-center/statewide-news/03-2016.html

Full project list
http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot/media-center/statewide/docs/congestionprojects.pdf

QuoteThe projects, which add up to more than 42 miles, include interchanges, flyovers and congestion relief efforts at some of the state's worst chokepoints. They will be funded using $1.3 billion made available through ending the use of diversions of highway money by other agencies.

This program will expedite projects which are ready for construction ("shovel-ready") or very close to receiving approval. Designating funds on short notice is always a mixed proposition since projects need to be ready to start. While most projects were known to be in preparation for construction within a few years, there are a few surprises.

Analysis:

Southern Gateway in Dallas: This appropriation will close the funding gap on the $606 million project. The project has been made entirely non-toll, as emphasized on the home page of the project web site http://thesoutherngateway.org/ The web site says the contract will be awarded in summer 2017. Hopefully they will be able to expedite that somewhat, maybe later this year.

SH 360/SH 121 in Grapevine: This is somewhat of a surprise, but a good surprise. This project was omitted from the $1.1 billion DFW connector project completed in 2013 due to funding limitations, but there is a great need for this project due to the weave conflict in the southbound direction. This project will add the collector-distributor lanes shown in light blue in this drawing.

SH 199 near Lake Worth: This is also a surprise. This will build main freeway lanes and overpasses on a section which currently has frontage roads. It is good to see that officials are committed to making progress on completing this freeway.

Fort Worth I-820: This will widen the antiquated 4-lane section. It isn't clear to me if this is the ultimate buildout or an interim project. (Funding is $46 million, but there could be other funding sources)

IH 35E downtown Dallas: This project was a candidate for funding but was toward the back of the line, maybe for 2019 or 2020. This puts it at the front of the line. This project will add collector-distributor lanes through downtown. In my view it is always a very good thing to get improvements in the downtown area, since downtown improvements can be controversial.

Houston US 59 (IH 69) / IH 610 interchange rebuild: This project was planned for multiple phases, and now the entire project will be built in one phase. This is also an urgently needed improvement. http://txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/houston/59-610.html

Houston I-45 south of NASA 1: This project was already slated to be built soon, but a section further south was going to start first. This appears to ensure that this section and the adjacent section will be built together. http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/houston/100615.html

I-10 West of Houston: This is somewhat of a surprise. This will widen the freeway to six lanes from Brookshire to the Brazos River. Definitely needed since apparently there are backups when people return to Houston on Sundays.

San Antonio I-410: I'm not familiar with this project but it appears to be widening to 8 main lanes. Widening of the section to the north is underway with Proposition 1 funds.

San Antonio US 281: I thought this was already funded, but maybe this was the final increment of funding. This project was recently de-tolled, so these funds can now be used on the project.

Austin: Multiple projects on I-35. As always it is too little, too late in Austin, but anything to improve the antiquated I-35 is welcome.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Chris

Quote from: MaxConcrete on January 28, 2016, 12:07:57 AMIH 35E downtown Dallas: This project was a candidate for funding but was toward the back of the line, maybe for 2019 or 2020. This puts it at the front of the line. This project will add collector-distributor lanes through downtown. In my view it is always a very good thing to get improvements in the downtown area, since downtown improvements can be controversial.

What are the project limits here? From I-30 to the Dallas North Tollway?

The Ghostbuster

Now if only the DOTs of the other 49 states would do the same thing.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Chris on January 28, 2016, 08:29:31 AM
Quote from: MaxConcrete on January 28, 2016, 12:07:57 AMIH 35E downtown Dallas: This project was a candidate for funding but was toward the back of the line, maybe for 2019 or 2020. This puts it at the front of the line. This project will add collector-distributor lanes through downtown. In my view it is always a very good thing to get improvements in the downtown area, since downtown improvements can be controversial.

They might be referring to the dead Project Pegasus, which would reconstruct I-35E from I-30 (the Mixmaster) and TX 183 (where the freeway narrows).

wxfree

Quote from: Chris on January 28, 2016, 08:29:31 AM

It's from I-30 to north of Oak Lawn Avenue, a little past the Tollway.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Grzrd

MaxConcrete

Public meeting notice for the interchange improvements at Loop 610 and I-69 in Houston.

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/houston/030316.html

Notice the wide separation in the Loop 610 main lanes to accommodate the planned express lanes, which are still in the environmental phase.

There was some opposition to this project by residents of Bellaire. There were a couple design changes based on their input, including retaining the southbound Fournace exit and eliminating a double u-turn.

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/hou/notices/030316-project-map.pdf
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

DJStephens

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 28, 2016, 04:37:25 PM
Now if only the DOTs of the other 49 states would do the same thing.

If one examines the blunders of the El Paso District, a watchdog keeping close financial strings on the texdot is warranted.   

longhorn

Why are they replacing the stack at 610 and 69? Age? The replacement is of the same design.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: longhorn on February 19, 2016, 10:33:20 AM
Why are they replacing the stack at 610 and 69? Age? The replacement is of the same design.

Age and capacity. Several movements are one lane only, and others have awful geometrics.

Marc

Quote from: MaxConcrete on January 28, 2016, 12:07:57 AM
Austin: Multiple projects on I-35. As always it is too little, too late in Austin, but anything to improve the antiquated I-35 is welcome.
I completely agree with your statement; however, something worth noting is the completion of the 35/183 interchange. That project will be completed with this money.

codyg1985

It is interesting to me that hardly any of the direct connectors for freeway to freeway interchanges in the Austin area have any stubs in place for when future connectors are built. I guess a lot of them were built before this became what I assume is a TxDOT standard practice?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.