News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Phoenix Area Highways

Started by swbrotha100, February 22, 2015, 07:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: ztonyg on July 08, 2020, 11:56:49 PM
Are there any plans to complete the stack at US 60 and Loop 101?

I've never heard of any.  Right now, Arizona has far higher priorities than rebuilding freeway ramps that are less than perfect.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Roadwarriors79

The only freeway-to-freeway ramps that may be modified in the future are the connections between AZ 143 and I-10.

Sonic99

Yeah, ADOT has much bigger fish to fry than changing those two ramps. They're about to embark on a complete rebuild of I-10 from Chandler through the Broadway Curve here within the next couple years and that's going to be a complete catastrophuck during construction.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Sonic99 on July 12, 2020, 01:04:28 AM
Yeah, ADOT has much bigger fish to fry than changing those two ramps. They're about to embark on a complete rebuild of I-10 from Chandler through the Broadway Curve here within the next couple years and that's going to be a complete catastrophuck during construction.

The exits for the 143 are at one end of that rebuild.  Hopefully they'll upgrade them at the same time.  At least it's good to know that I no longer have to drive that stretch to work.  I had to between 2002 and 2014, when I lived in Ahwatukee and worked near Sky Harbor.  I don't miss it for a minute.  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

rte66man

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on July 12, 2020, 09:06:50 PM

The exits for the 143 are at one end of that rebuild.  Hopefully they'll upgrade them at the same time.  At least it's good to know that I no longer have to drive that stretch to work.  I had to between 2002 and 2014, when I lived in Ahwatukee and worked near Sky Harbor.  I don't miss it for a minute.  :)

While looking at that interchange, I noticed southbound Price Road has an unusual bridge:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3859286,-111.8936511,467m/data=!3m1!1e3

Why is it so wide?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Zonie

Quote from: rte66man on July 13, 2020, 07:54:30 AM

While looking at that interchange, I noticed southbound Price Road has an unusual bridge:

Why is it so wide?

IIRC, that was the original Price Road alignment.  It was a four-lane, N-S route.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Zonie on July 13, 2020, 11:45:10 AM

Why is it so wide?

IIRC, that was the original Price Road alignment.  It was a four-lane, N-S route.

The original Price Rd. was a canal maintenance dirt road.  That canal was where the 101 is now, and is not the one that exists just east of there today that extends from the Salt River, NE of Mesa at Granite Reef Dam, to Dobson Ranch on the SW side of the city.  This was at least through the mid 1970s.

I don't know when the canal was filled in/relocated into Mesa.  IIRC, it was the road on the west (Tempe) side of the old canal that became the first paved version of Price Rd. sometime in the late '70s or early '80s.

Sonic99

Correct. Before the 101 was built, Price Rd was a normal N-S arterial street with ramps going to the Superstition on the west side (WB on, EB off). The canal itself actually passed over the freeway just east of the Price overpass. When the 101 was built, the canal was relocated and the bridge was actually converted into the SB 101 overpass, Price NB got shifted over to the other side, and they just left the existing Price overpass to be used by SB only. Check out HistoricAerials.com and you can see the entire interchange get built and the Price/Superstition connection get all changed around.

Quote from: Zonie on July 13, 2020, 11:45:10 AM

Why is it so wide?

If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Pink Jazz

I went up I-17 in North Phoenix today, and several of the Skyline DMS were retrofitted with the color SES America boards.  They are not as high resolution as the new color Daktronics DMS, however, they seem to be very legible, being quite a bit brighter than they were before they were retrofitted.  I'm going to miss the "swoosh" effect that the Skyline signs make when switching between displays, but apparently there was an issue with them disconnecting from ADOT's Cameleon ITS network due to some unknown incompatibility, requiring onsite reboots.  I wonder if Skyline plans on resolving the issue in preparation for the next RFP when Daktronics' contract with ADOT expires (which runs up to a maximum of 2022).

Also, some of the Daktronics character matrix LED signs are starting to show their age.  I wonder if ADOT plans on refurbishing them.  On the Loop 101 Price Freeway ADOT did a full replacement with new Daktronics color LED signs.  Most of the Daktronics character matrix LED signs are installed in the Phoenix and Tucson areas; they are fairly rare in rural Arizona.  I think these were installed from 2007 to 2012, with one additional sign in Tucson installed in 2014.

ztonyg

Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 01, 2020, 09:56:45 PM
I went up I-17 in North Phoenix today, and several of the Skyline DMS were retrofitted with the color SES America boards.  They are not as high resolution as the new color Daktronics DMS, however, they seem to be very legible, being quite a bit brighter than they were before they were retrofitted.  I'm going to miss the "swoosh" effect that the Skyline signs make when switching between displays, but apparently there was an issue with them disconnecting from ADOT's Cameleon ITS network due to some unknown incompatibility, requiring onsite reboots.  I wonder if Skyline plans on resolving the issue in preparation for the next RFP when Daktronics' contract with ADOT expires (which runs up to a maximum of 2022).

Also, some of the Daktronics character matrix LED signs are starting to show their age.  I wonder if ADOT plans on refurbishing them.  On the Loop 101 Price Freeway ADOT did a full replacement with new Daktronics color LED signs.  Most of the Daktronics character matrix LED signs are installed in the Phoenix and Tucson areas; they are fairly rare in rural Arizona.  I think these were installed from 2007 to 2012, with one additional sign in Tucson installed in 2014.

I saw the retrofitted Skyline signs on I-17 today. What an improvement over the old format (especially that horrible font ADOT uses/used on about 1/2 of their Skyline signs). If you want to see the "swoosh" the sign immediately proceeding and immediately after Loop 101 on N/B I-17 still have not been retrofitted (although they use the legible font and not the "bad" Skyline font).

Pink Jazz

As for retrofitting the Daktronics character matrix signs in addition to the SES America retrofit product Daktronics now offers a similar product of their own.

ztonyg

Looks like the Loop 101 in the North Valley will use diamond grinding as opposed to rubberized asphalt once the construction is finished:

https://azdot.gov/sites/default/files/media/2020/05/Diamond-Grinding-Flier-English.pdf

DJStephens

Appears a short section of I-10 in W Tucson had this done as well.  Did seem folly to cover that original high quality concrete up with cheap asphalt overlay to begin with.   

Roadwarriors79

Portions of I-17 are going back to concrete. For now, it's just Dunlap Ave to Thunderbird Rd. Pinnacle Peak Rd to Happy Valley Rd is also a possibility.

Speaking of Happy Valley Rd, the notorious roundabouts there are getting removed starting this weekend. Sometime in October, the SB exit and NB entrance ramps will reopen. Don't know if it will operate as a DDI yet, or later this year.

Plutonic Panda

I love Arizona is switching back to concrete. Hopefully other states do the same. OkDOT is inconsistent. California seems to mainly use concrete for large projects like Texas.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 08, 2020, 05:02:35 PM
California seems to mainly use concrete for large projects like Texas.

California is paving Texas?  :)

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 08, 2020, 05:32:04 PM

Sorry I'm in Palm Springs and started my drinking early today.

rte66man

I love Arizona is switching back to concrete. Hopefully other states do the same. OkDOT is inconsistent. 

Seems to depend on what the project is. If they are doing a full-on rebuild (removing all pavement down to the base and starting over) then they seem to be going with concrete (at least on the interstates). For US and OK roads, asphalt is cheaper so they've been going with that. I35 south has been mostly rebuilt and they went with concrete except where they got by with a resurfacing. Same for I40 east of OKC.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

However I noticed in Norman they used asphalt and it was a pretty major project. That's the only example I can think of right now.

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 09, 2020, 04:44:59 PM
However I noticed in Norman they used asphalt and it was a pretty major project. That's the only example I can think of right now.

I thought they didn't take that back down to the base, rather they ground off at least one layer of asphalt. However I'm getting forgetful in my old age :)

-Yogi Berra

Exit58

I love Arizona is switching back to concrete. Hopefully other states do the same. OkDOT is inconsistent. California seems to mainly use concrete for large projects like Texas.

Yesssss I'm very happy about this. I got very excited when I saw the test strip they did on the Santan near Dobson. It's a much softer and quieter ride that will hopefully require less downtime and less teeth pulling when it comes time to replace it. The Santan is a horror show to drive on. The pavement is so old and weathered.

The light hum it makes takes me back to my childhood in California.

jakeroot

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 08, 2020, 06:04:21 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 08, 2020, 05:32:04 PM

Sorry I'm in Palm Springs and started my drinking early today.

I got it. Just needed a period (aka full stop) after "projects". Fragmented sentence, but fine for a forum.

ztonyg

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on August 08, 2020, 02:39:24 PM
Portions of I-17 are going back to concrete. For now, it's just Dunlap Ave to Thunderbird Rd. Pinnacle Peak Rd to Happy Valley Rd is also a possibility.

Speaking of Happy Valley Rd, the notorious roundabouts there are getting removed starting this weekend. Sometime in October, the SB exit and NB entrance ramps will reopen. Don't know if it will operate as a DDI yet, or later this year.

Is the I-17 diamond grinding complete from Dunlap Ave to Thunderbird Rd or is its current state just the 1st phase.

While it isn't particularly loud, it's relatively rough.

Pink Jazz

I saw that the new Daktronics DMS being installed on L-101 Price Freeway SB on the "T" post appears to be a front access model instead of walk-in. I know the ADOT's contract with Daktronics includes both walk-in and front access. The overhead ones are all walk-in.

ztonyg

Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 12, 2020, 10:23:19 AM
I saw that the new Daktronics DMS being installed on L-101 Price Freeway SB on the "T" post appears to be a front access model instead of walk-in. I know the ADOT's contract with Daktronics includes both walk-in and front access. The overhead ones are all walk-in.

Interesting. I wasn't sure that ADOT was going to do the "T" post DMSs on urban freeways.

This makes more sense then for the DMS on the Loop 101 E/B west of Hayden Road. It was formerly overhead mounted but during the widening project the overhead DMS was taken down and the DMS (a Daktronics character matrix) has been sitting on ground level on a concrete slab next to the freeway. Believe it or not the DMS is still fully functional and ADOT is currently displaying messages on it. I'd assume the ultimate goal would be to mount it (or a different DMS model) on a T-pole as there is no support base for a monotube (or any other kind of overhead mount) in the newly installed median concrete.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.