News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Liquor

Started by OCGuy81, May 05, 2021, 07:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 26, 2022, 05:01:18 PM
Of those, the Bozal will probably be the least smoky. You need to find some mezcals that aren't espadín, since those are almost always made in a smoky style. My favorite varieties of agave are Tobalá, Guerrero, and Arroqueño. They're far less common and definitely more expensive, but delicious.

I think it'll still do me well during times like this, when I have a cold.  Also on cold days, I suspect the smokiness will be welcome.  But my main issue is that it's hard to figure out how to make a cocktail with it.

Any suggestions for a mezcal cocktail?

Here's what I have to work with currently:

Gin (juniper-forward)
White rum
Aged rum
Brandy (not much left)
Jameson whiskey
Dry white vermouth
Sweet vermouth
Triple sec
Amaretto
Cynar
Campari (not much left)
Aperol
Orange bitters
Angostura bitters
Peychaud's bitters

And I always have a supply of La Croix, tonic, ginger beer, lemons, and limes
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Go simple. Oaxaca old fashioned. I'm sure you know the recipe, but 2 oz. mezcal, .75 oz. simple syrup, three dashes (in this case) orange bitters. Stir. Heaven.

If you pick up any grapefruit juice, a mezcal paloma is always nice.

A cocktail that we made when we opened the restaurant in the hotel was muddled granny smith apple, 2 oz mezcal, 0.5 oz. lime juice, 0.75 oz. agave, top with ginger ale. We garnished it with acidulated green apple cubes. Pretty simple (by craft cocktail standards) and delicious.

kurumi

Hibiki whisky (Suntory) is back in stock in northern CA (about $80). It's Harmony (the blend), 1 per customer, but I wasn't seeing it at all for a few years. Even in Japan, 2017, couldn't find any.

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kurumi on September 26, 2022, 09:35:18 PM
Hibiki whisky (Suntory) is back in stock in northern CA (about $80). It's Harmony (the blend), 1 per customer, but I wasn't seeing it at all for a few years. Even in Japan, 2017, couldn't find any.

It was fairly readily available in Denver. I bought two cases in 2018.

interstatefan990

Since this thread exists, anyone have any ideas for a spin on the classic Jack & Coke? I like them but I'm getting tired of the flavor lately. Maybe cherry or vanilla Coke? Bars don't carry that though.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: interstatefan990 on September 26, 2022, 11:42:36 PM
Since this thread exists, anyone have any ideas for a spin on the classic Jack & Coke? I like them but I'm getting tired of the flavor lately. Maybe cherry or vanilla Coke? Bars don't carry that though.
'

Dr Pepper?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 26, 2022, 08:51:28 PM
Go simple. Oaxaca old fashioned. I'm sure you know the recipe, but 2 oz. mezcal, .75 oz. simple syrup, three dashes (in this case) orange bitters. Stir. Heaven.

A cocktail that we made when we opened the restaurant in the hotel was muddled granny smith apple, 2 oz mezcal, 0.5 oz. lime juice, 0.75 oz. agave, top with ginger ale. We garnished it with acidulated green apple cubes. Pretty simple (by craft cocktail standards) and delicious.

Thanks.  I do keep grapefruit juice in the house, because that's what I have with breakfast every day.  You may not be aware, but there's apparently a huge shortage of Ocean Spray white grapefruit juice these days, and I haven't seen it in stores anywhere for months.  So I now have to go to Target to buy the Simply brand.

Would mezcal work in a sidecar-type drink?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 27, 2022, 08:42:26 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 26, 2022, 08:51:28 PM

Thanks.  I do keep grapefruit juice in the house, because that's what I have with breakfast every day.  You may not be aware, but there's apparently a huge shortage of Ocean Spray white grapefruit juice these days, and I haven't seen it in stores anywhere for months.  So I now have to go to Target to buy the Simply brand.

Would mezcal work in a sidecar-type drink?

For sure. I'd say mezcal is more common with lime than with lemon, but that's just probably because lemons are far more rare in Mexico. It'd basically be a mezcal lemon drop which can't be bad I'm sure.

interstatefan990

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 27, 2022, 07:16:07 AM
'

Dr Pepper?

Hmm, I'll try that, thanks.

kphoger

Quote from: interstatefan990 on September 27, 2022, 12:24:30 PM

Dr Pepper?

I'm sure any bar would add Maraschino syrup if you asked.
Male pronouns, please.

interstatefan990

Quote from: kphoger on September 27, 2022, 12:33:41 PM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on September 27, 2022, 12:24:30 PM

Dr Pepper?

I'm sure any bar would add Maraschino syrup if you asked.

Sounds tasty, but I'd run the risk of looking like a 20-something who has to have all their drinks taste fruity. Probably best if I'm at the bar alone.  :D

kphoger

Quote from: interstatefan990 on September 27, 2022, 12:50:58 PM
Sounds tasty, but I'd run the risk of looking like a 20-something who has to have all their drinks taste fruity. Probably best if I'm at the bar alone.  :D

Have you tried just ordering a Cherry Coke & Jack?  Do they actually say they can't handle it?
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 27, 2022, 12:54:55 PM

Have you tried just ordering a Cherry Coke & Jack?  Do they actually say they can't handle it?

Every bar in the world has grenadine.

frankenroad

Mostly, I'm a beer man; I prefer IPAs, but will drink almost any beer except Bud & Bud Lite.  I like trying the local beers when I travel, but there are a fair number of local breweries that I haven't tried yet.  When I buy beer for the house, or to take to a party, I almost always buy Rhinegeist Truth or a Hop Box (12-pack of four different IPAs) - for 2 reasons.  1.  I like it.  2. My son is a sales manager for Rhinegeist, and the company is employee-owned, so by buying their beer, I am helping pay for my grandsons' college tuition!

I do like a good bourbon - usually in the form of a Manhattan.

Occasionally, I'll have white wine (usually Pinot Grigio).  Rarely do I drink red wine.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Scott5114

I don't drink, so I don't have first-hand experience with this, but has anyone here tried Ukrainian vodka? Since the war started, I've seen a few people say they've switched over due to their usual Russian brands being unavailable, and found they liked the Ukrainian stuff better.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

I just opened my latest bottle of gin:  Martin Miller's.

For a citrus lover like me, it's great for drinking neat.  The orange zest is bold and unmistakable, but juniper is by no means lacking.  (The citrus botanicals are kept separate from the others, and I suppose that attention to detail pays off on my palate.)  I haven't yet tried it in a cocktail, so time will tell if its flavor gets lost when mixed.  I must say, I'm intrigued to try it in drinks that feature orange-flavored components, which means I might finally get around to making a Flying Dutchman, and I might even switch from Peychaud's to orange bitters in my next G&T.

It's a bit pretentious, considering that the gin is distilled in West Midlands (England) but then gets shipped to Iceland to be diluted with that country's supposedly superior water.  But whatever.

Male pronouns, please.

epzik8

I used to have a thing for Miller High Life, as it was the best of both worlds, and was once on a Jack and Coke regimen. I'm now dry.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 27, 2022, 06:38:40 PM
I don't drink, so I don't have first-hand experience with this, but has anyone here tried Ukrainian vodka? Since the war started, I've seen a few people say they've switched over due to their usual Russian brands being unavailable, and found they liked the Ukrainian stuff better.

There are very few vodkas sold in the U.S. that are actually Russian. Russian Standard is the most widely sold but even things like Stolichnaya (Stoli) are made and owned elsewhere.

interstatefan990

Quote from: kphoger on September 27, 2022, 12:54:55 PM

I haven't, but I'm not expecting them to. Usually they just have regular Coke and for those that prefer, Diet Coke. I'll ask next time I go, though.

kkt

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 27, 2022, 09:02:26 PM

There are very few vodkas sold in the U.S. that are actually Russian. Russian Standard is the most widely sold but even things like Stolichnaya (Stoli) are made and owned elsewhere.

My Russian vodka says it was Made in the USSR.  I have had the bottle for a while...

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kkt on September 27, 2022, 09:47:02 PM

My Russian vodka says it was Made in the USSR.  I have had the bottle for a while...

Which brand?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 27, 2022, 07:19:33 PM
I just opened my latest bottle of gin:  Martin Miller's.

For a citrus lover like me, it's great for drinking neat.  The orange zest is bold and unmistakable, but juniper is by no means lacking.  (The citrus botanicals are kept separate from the others, and I suppose that attention to detail pays off on my palate.)  I haven't yet tried it in a cocktail, so time will tell if its flavor gets lost when mixed.  I must say, I'm intrigued to try it in drinks that feature orange-flavored components, which means I might finally get around to making a Flying Dutchman, and I might even switch from Peychaud's to orange bitters in my next G&T.

It's a bit pretentious, considering that the gin is distilled in West Midlands (England) but then gets shipped to Iceland to be diluted with that country's supposedly superior water.  But whatever.

I've never tasted that one. If you ever make it out here, I'll have a bottle of gin waiting for you. My buddy is the master distiller at Deviation Distilling and they make 4 delicious gins. I used to moonlight there for a while at their tasting room/cocktail bar as a bartender before my son was born. If you like the citrus, their Citrus Rosé would be right up your alley - grapefruit and tarragon are the main botanicals (after juniper of course).

kkt

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 28, 2022, 09:29:04 AM

Which brand?

Stolichnaya

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kkt on September 28, 2022, 09:33:23 AM

Which brand?

Stolichnaya

Now it's owned by a company from Luxembourg and produced in Latvia. It looks like they did source some alcohol from a Russian distillery (while still finishing it in Latvia) prior to the invasion, but now they get the base liquor from Slovakia. The name is now officially 'Stoli' too, to make it seem less Russian.

kkt

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 28, 2022, 09:38:06 AM
Quote from: kkt on September 28, 2022, 09:33:23 AM

Which brand?

Stolichnaya

Now it's owned by a company from Luxembourg and produced in Latvia. It looks like they did source some alcohol from a Russian distillery (while still finishing it in Latvia) prior to the invasion, but now they get the base liquor from Slovakia. The name is now officially 'Stoli' too, to make it seem less Russian.

Jeez.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.