News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Latest Peace Bridge News

Started by Dougtone, December 18, 2009, 07:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

Earlier this week, New York Governor David Paterson announced that five new bridge designs have earned federal approval, a significant breakthrough in moving forward the long-stalled Peace Bridge project. The New York State Department of Transportation and the Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority have reached an agreement with all necessary State, federal and Canadian environmental agencies in identifying five environmentally acceptable signature bridge design concepts, any of which can be chosen by the project sponsors and moved forward to construction.

http://www.ny.gov/governor/press/press_12140903.html

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vdeane

When are those ramp changes to be made.  Never seen them before.  It's nice to see the QEW freeway "extended" to I-190 though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times: The Peace Bridge (What Else?) Sets Off a Cuomo-Canada War

QuoteFORT ERIE, Ontario – Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo's administration is known for its combative stance toward lawmakers, bureaucrats and reporters alike.

QuoteNow, the administration has all but declared war on a new enemy: Canada.

QuoteOr, at least, an arm of the Canadian government.

QuoteAt issue is the 3,580-foot bridge that crosses the Niagara River between Buffalo and this Canadian town. It is called the Peace Bridge, though its name does not seem especially apt now.

QuoteIn recent months, Mr. Cuomo's chief representative to the binational agency that manages the bridge has described his Canadian counterparts, in e-mails he sent to them, as "duplicitous,"  criticizing their "deceitful, disrespectful and arrogant behavior."  
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mtantillo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 28, 2013, 01:57:59 AM

All I know is that everytime I cross the Peace Bridge, I'm amazed at how modern and efficient the Canadian plaza is, and disgusted at how cramped and disorganized the US plaza is upon return home.  Something needs to be done about it.  The board should be obligated to fund fixes on both sides of the bridge, and although I think Cuomo is acting a little arrogant, I think the NY side of the bridge is long overdue some of it's share of improvements. 

NYhwyfan

Quote from: mtantillo on May 28, 2013, 12:14:44 PM

All I know is that everytime I cross the Peace Bridge, I'm amazed at how modern and efficient the Canadian plaza is, and disgusted at how cramped and disorganized the US plaza is upon return home.  Something needs to be done about it.  The board should be obligated to fund fixes on both sides of the bridge, and although I think Cuomo is acting a little arrogant, I think the NY side of the bridge is long overdue some of it's share of improvements. 

I have to agree, its time to expand and update the American plaza.

mtantillo

Quote from: NYhwyfan on May 28, 2013, 07:11:33 PM
Quote from: mtantillo on May 28, 2013, 12:14:44 PM

I have to agree, its time to expand and update the American plaza.

Yes.  So hopefully the Canadians aren't saying, "We've got our improvements, so when it comes time to paying for your side, we're opposed to it."  Cuomo would be understandably upset if this was the vibe he was getting. 

Mr_Northside

Quote from: mtantillo on May 28, 2013, 09:20:55 PM
Yes.  So hopefully the Canadians aren't saying, "We've got our improvements, so when it comes time to paying for your side, we're opposed to it."  Cuomo would be understandably upset if this was the vibe he was getting. 

From what I read, it kind of sounds like the Canadians are calling B.S. on the fact that he wants to commit $4 million in authority funds to buy property appraised at only $1.7m. 
Maybe that $4m price tag really is legit, but it sure as hell looks kinda shady.  Can't totally blame Canada for not wanting to just blindly sign off on that.

I've only crossed there every couple of years or so (last time in 2010), but I'll also opine that the NY end needs work, and hopefully this won't drag on too long.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.