AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Gay road signs are legal in the USA  (Read 5334 times)

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 07:09:32 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
Gay road signs are legal in the USA
« on: December 12, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »

I was going to reply to that thread about the gay pedestrian signals until I found out it was locked. Allow me to add something from the Washington Square West section of Philadelphia:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:13th_Gayborhood.jpg

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: Today at 09:09:51 PM
    • Flickr
Re: Gay road signs are legal in the USA
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 12:24:07 AM »

I don't really think they're any different (legally, in terms of design freedom) than the pride crosswalks found in many cities. But interesting nonetheless.

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: Today at 06:52:16 PM
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 07:12:35 PM »

I don't really think they're any different (legally, in terms of design freedom) than the pride crosswalks found in many cities. But interesting nonetheless.

I don't think these are any different from China Town signs or "Old downtown" signs or things like that.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Pink Jazz

• Real Men Wear Pink

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 07:59:29 PM
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 11:04:11 PM »

I think there is a difference here between these and the pedestrian signals.  The MUTCD allows DOTs to place certain artistic elements on street name signs if they are significant to the community.  However, replacing MUTCD-compliant symbols on pedestrian signals with something else would never fly with the FHWA, since it could create potential confusion.  This would be like changing the colors of vehicular traffic signals to pink, purple, and blue in lieu of red, yellow, and green, respectively.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: Today at 09:09:51 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 11:26:11 PM »

This would be like changing the colors of vehicular traffic signals to pink, purple, and blue in lieu of red, yellow, and green, respectively.

No, it would be like changing the circles to squares, or triangles. The colors of the signals didn't change, just the shape.

Personally, I don't think the FHWA would be overly opposed to different shapes, as long as they clearly portray the same message as the white man and red hand.

renegade

• Change my mind.

• Last Login: November 23, 2021, 02:27:24 PM
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 05:09:00 AM »

We're really gonna keep this one alive, huh?
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Pink Jazz

• Real Men Wear Pink

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 07:59:29 PM
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 11:35:39 AM »

Personally, I don't think the FHWA would be overly opposed to different shapes, as long as they clearly portray the same message as the white man and red hand.

Actually, here is the FHWA's stance on using shapes for vehicular traffic signals:
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/knowledge/faqs/faq_part4.htm#tcsfq11

The FHWA apparently doesn't support the idea.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.