Late Feb to Mid March trip: Minneapolis to Florida and back

Started by I94RoadRunner, March 08, 2014, 01:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I94RoadRunner

I had not been able to log in for awhile, however I am on the return trip from Tampa back to the Twin Cities. The trip down started on Sunday 2-23. With bad road conditions after Winter storm Seneca hit the area, the late start set me back a bit as I did not leave until about noon.

I took one of the usual routes to get down there since I was eager to get out of the cold weather. This time it was the Minneapolis-Rockford-Bloomington-Indianapolis route. Instead of going through Chattanooga and Atlanta, I kept on I-65 south through Montgomery. Along the way, I had noticed that the progress of the I-22/65 junction north of Birmingham was moving along at about a snail's pace.

Further down east I went east of Montgomery to have a look at the new high speed stack where the future I-85 extension will branch off southward and in the process clinched future I-685! Then back down to US 231 - A nice shortcut instead of staying on I-65 to Mobile. From there, it was simply I-10 east to I-75 south. Unfortunately I did not have any photos to share along the way with an erratically working camera.

While in the Tampa/St Pete area, I made several visits to see local road enthusiasts Alex Nitzmann and Brent Ivy including a meet with J P Nasiatka at the Plant City Strawberry festival along with Alex's wife Kelly.

On Tuesday March 4th, Alex and I took on a road trip from Bradenton where he lives to Miami. It was my chance to clinch all of Miami's interstates and Alex to take some photos. The day started out with a detour from I-75/FL 29 due to a car carrier fire. Once clear of the detour, Alex and I went to see two interesting shields: The first is what is known as a "6 key" shield for FL 84. The second was for not only one, but two red US 1 shields! The route through the Miami area was I-75 to the southern end, FL 826 east, I-95 south, I-195 east, A1A south, I-395 west, I-95 south to the end, then back north to I-595 east to the end, U-turn and I-595 west to the end and back down I-75 north (west). Interestingly enough, it was only on the return trip along I-75 that Alex and I discovered that it was not one single "Car-BQ", but with our own eyes saw the remains of the "Car carrier-BQ"! Ouch!!! Alex has many photos of this trip on his blog.

And now after what feels like the fastest two weeks of my life, I have arrived at Jackson, MS via I-10 & I-610 to I-55 for the first day of the trip back home after leaving Riverview, FL this morning. This route was chosen as I had yet to clinch I-55 south of Hernando, MS where it meets I-69. Tomorrow will be a clinching of I-220 in Jackson followed by the rest of I-55 up to jct I-69/future I-22/269. Apparently there is some construction for the new section of I-22/269 just to east of the cloverleaf. I have already clinched I-55 between I-69 and I-39, therefore planning to take US 51 to I-155 and then clinch I-57 between I-55 and I-70. From there, turn west into St Louis as there are requests for photos of the new I-70 bridge. After that, time to clinch all of the St Louis 3di system and then I-172 along the way for good measure before returning along the Ave of the Saints .....
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

froggie

Quoteafter Winter storm Seneca hit the area

Winter storm what...?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: froggie on March 08, 2014, 05:41:19 AM
Quoteafter Winter storm Seneca hit the area

Winter storm what…?

"Seneca" was what the NWS named this winter storm. I know, I know ..... Don't ask me why the NWS decided to start naming winter storms now .....?
Chris Kalina

NE2

Quote from: I94RoadRunner on March 09, 2014, 01:27:33 AM
"Seneca" was what the NWS named this winter storm. I know, I know ..... Don't ask me why the NWS decided to start naming winter storms now .....?
Weather Channel, not NWS. Failure.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

I94RoadRunner

And after a long day of driving, I have arrived in St Louis. The day started off with a clinching of I-220 in Jackson, MS. Then after clinching the remainder of what I needed for I-55 between Jackson and Hernando, then it was off into the back roads to see how far MSDot had progressed on the I-22/269 connection into Hernando. I took several photos which will be posted once I return home. Stay tuned.

For a change instead of driving I-55 north again, why not try US 51 north to Dyersburg I thought. After driving at least the first half of this leg, I thought that maybe this road should be named "Rollercoaster Highway". If you have driven US 51 north out of Memphis, you would know exactly what I am talking about!

Then westbound on I-155 and north on I-55 to Sikeston where I had planned to make a dinner stop at Lambert's café. An entertaining stop where one can have their rolls "throwed" at them. Unfortunately being a Saturday evening, it would be an hour wait. Not wanting to wait an hour just to be seated, I moved on - back to I-57 and went north. Taking the longer route in order to clinch more roads. Having already driven I-64 between St Louis and Mt Vernon and also I-57 between I-64 west and I-24, the route was to go all the way to I-70, then turn west toward St Louis - planning for future road trips and clinches.

Just north of I-24, construction is well underway to widen I-57 as well as adding an interchange as I am told

In Effingham, IL where I-57 and I-70 meet, I finally got the meal intended for about 18:00. A decent steak dinner at the Raintree restaurant. Nothing really special, just one of those satisfying meals that is not too expensive, however fills the void. Then it was off west toward St Louis for the night.

Instead of stopping right away, it was time to take advantage of lighter traffic volumes and clinch some 3di's. from I-70, I took I-270 west to I-255 and followed south until it became I-270 again. Drove 270 until I-70, then decided to call it a night along I-270 right in between where I-70 and MO 370 cross. Resuming tomorrow by clinching the remainder of I-270, I-170, and some pics of the new I-70 river crossing.
Chris Kalina

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: NE2 on March 09, 2014, 01:34:02 AM

Ok, I stand corrected ..... Still a silly practice, yes .....?
Chris Kalina

NE2

Quote from: I94RoadRunner on March 09, 2014, 01:53:05 AM
Quote from: NE2 on March 09, 2014, 01:34:02 AM

Ok, I stand corrected ..... Still a silly practice, yes .....?
Yes, which makes you silly for using it.

froggie

QuoteOk, I stand corrected ..... Still a silly practice, yes .....?

Yes, which is why I initially asked the question...

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: froggie on March 09, 2014, 08:38:31 AM
QuoteOk, I stand corrected ..... Still a silly practice, yes .....?

Yes, which is why I initially asked the question…

So enough said as NE2 quotes .....
Chris Kalina

hbelkins

This reminds me of my recent conversation with Steve A. when I made reference to the Hal Rogers Parkway and he said, "Excuse me, what?" I quickly corrected myself and said "Daniel Boone" since I knew exactly what he was getting at.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

I94RoadRunner

Chris Kalina

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.