News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: 24/7 OTA cartoon channel c...
Last post by Big John - Today at 05:59:50 PM
A new station in Green Bay is now on the air carrying Channel 31 with MeTV as it's content.
Southeast / Re: Louisiana
Last post by Anthony_JK - Today at 05:56:41 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 18, 2024, 04:54:56 PMIs the new Belle Chasse Bridge yet completed? I recall the SB tunnel has been closed for a while with SB traffic using the new crossing, but is the NB traffic shifted to it or is the Judge Perez still being used?

Almost there. 
LADOTD just announced a traffic shift where southbound traffic that was using the tunnel has now been transferred over to the southbound lanes of the new bridge; northbound traffic is still on the old lift bridge. The plans are to finish moving all traffic to the new bridge and implement tolling by the end of this summer.

https://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/Announcement.aspx?key=36007 
Pacific Southwest / Re: Interstate 11 alignment, t...
Last post by gonealookin - Today at 05:54:04 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 05:29:25 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 05:22:41 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 05:19:59 PMFrom Fernley to Winnemucca minus Lovelock.
Interesting. I haven't been on this stretch yet. Why not further east of Winnemucca?

I've only driven it once a little over eight years ago, but I remember it being a lot less flat out that way than I was expecting.

There are a few other segments east of Winnemucca posted at 80, notably Elko to Wells.  The stated reason for the rest of it being posted at 75 is that because those do have some grades, trucks can't maintain a speed close to 80 and there is too much difference between them and the rest of the traffic.
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 05:29:25 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 05:22:41 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 05:19:59 PMFrom Fernley to Winnemucca minus Lovelock.
Interesting. I haven't been on this stretch yet. Why not further east of Winnemucca?

I've only driven it once a little over eight years ago, but I remember it being a lot less flat out that way than I was expecting.
Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 05:25:30 PM
Titled as California laws to stop freeway expansions in CA hits a roadblock but mainly talking about the toll lane proposal on I-80 between Sac and the bay. Hopefully a ruling happens to allow these new lanes and eventually the entire law is repealed to allow expansions in general. I still don't understand how Orange County gets away with all of the expansions they are doing.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-06-20/the-road-to-the-capitol-is-a-test-case-for-freeway-expansions?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0NuyuZeBaYylXNQXUzliAGHbQ-ynWqrs6EWjAEffz2x3tCHx04W13rytM_aem_ZmFrZWR1bW15MTZieXRlcw
Pacific Southwest / Re: Nevada
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 05:20:42 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on Today at 02:56:19 PMPublic meeting on extending I-11 to Mercury scheduled for June 25

Might as well go to at least NV 160.
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 05:19:59 PM
From Fernley to Winnemucca minus Lovelock.
Mid-South / Re: US-75 Expansion/Constructi...
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 05:19:18 PM
Tulsa needs a non tolled interstate in and out of the metro. It isn't fair that every freeway in and out of the city is tolled. I-45 and I-42 would help with that. I am of the opinion tolls on I-44 need to be removed.
Quote from: michravera on Today at 04:36:57 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 01:38:27 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 19, 2024, 04:32:57 PM
Quote from: michravera on June 19, 2024, 03:47:05 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 19, 2024, 02:23:09 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 19, 2024, 02:21:36 PMThat is really hard to believe there's 83 flights a week from Vegas to Reno. How is that sustainable? What is driving that demand?

A seven hour drive between the two.

... and with a decent interstate, it could be 5 hours. Staying on the east side of the Sierras has a certain whether benefit. Sacramento *IS* an option, except during ski season.

That's the thing, now that USA Parkway exists how much time would be saved?  There is a lot of existing 70 MPH territory along US 95 already.  Most of the slowdowns come in towns I think many would stop for food or a restroom break anyway.

I'm sure getting a better surface bypass for US 95A around Yerington would knock out much of the travel time that a full Interstate would. 
Speed limit 100MPH.

Lots of incremental improvements would help. But, none as much as a second carriageway. I've been in a light vehicle (VW Jetta) when a large truck passed in the other direction. That just doesn't happen on a divided road. I've felt less wake turbulence when a 737 passed me (although a few hundred meters away in and in the same direction) in an Cessna. It's not driving 85MPH having to pass a truck going 75 (or even 50) that irks me or is that unsafe. It's the opposite direction truck going at a decent speed that nearly blows me off the road. As I've said earlier "If they can't post it at 80 MPH, they'd be better off just making incremental improvements."

I think realistically if it were signed at 100MPH it would have to be 3 lanes each way to be safe. That isn't happening. 80-85MPH would be nice. I-80 east of Reno is 80MPH right?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.