News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on March 17, 2023, 10:36:39 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2023, 01:45:42 PM
Chicken wings.  There isn't nearly enough meat on there to make it worth the price.  I'll take a menu item that's less than 45% bones please.

The popularity of chicken wings is a testament to the power of marketing in the United States. A throwaway part of a chicken becomes popular.

Or maybe people like the taste of it and it's not all brainwashed dummies walking around. Still, one could just put hot sauce on chicken 5-10 other ways and get the same fix...

Maybe it just taps into a prehistoric carnal desire to quickly eat with their hands and make a mess in the process?

Quote from: kkt on March 17, 2023, 12:59:12 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 17, 2023, 08:55:03 AM
Another computer one.  On our home computer, sometimes the keyboard stops working, and we have to unplug it and plug it back into the USB port.  Except sometimes that happens while the computer is asleep.  So we'll move the mouse to wake the computer up, then notice that it's gotten hung up at some point during the wake-up process, and hit a key on the keyboard to encourage it along.  Wait, wait, hit a key again, wait, wait, hit a key again, wait, wait, and only then notice that the Num Lock indicator isn't lit up, which means we've been hitting a key on a dead keyboard the whole time.

USB is kind of a flakey protocol.  Keyboards connected to serial ports never had that problem!

Yeah, but until USB came around, a PC almost always needed a reboot after the unplugged peripheral device could work again after reattaching it.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: roadman65 on March 17, 2023, 01:32:32 PM
My pet peeve with all businesses is when they zap in a recorded message before the call saying " This call May recorded or monitored for quality assurance purposes."

I know if they record a call by law they must disclose that particular message, but some businesses are straight forward and what could recording your call serve a purpose for?
I can actually answer this question, since I'm the guy (for my company) that does this.

I'm looking for a few things.
1. Was business conducted on the call, or was it something else?
2. Customer service - polite, etc.
3 . [other factors]

The business might be straight up, but individual employess, and individual customers, aren't necessarily. So for me, I'm just keeping everyone honest, and satisfied.

I swore off delivery driving forever when this opportunity dropped into my lap.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Scott5114

Yeah, there's also the possibility of the customer saying something like "Last time I called the guy on the phone said they were giving me 20% off on this order because I had to wait so long." Did anyone ever actually say that? The only way to know for sure is to check the recording.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thspfc

Quote from: formulanone on March 17, 2023, 02:05:25 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 17, 2023, 10:36:39 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2023, 01:45:42 PM
Chicken wings.  There isn't nearly enough meat on there to make it worth the price.  I'll take a menu item that's less than 45% bones please.

The popularity of chicken wings is a testament to the power of marketing in the United States. A throwaway part of a chicken becomes popular.

Or maybe people like the taste of it and it's not all brainwashed dummies walking around. Still, one could just put hot sauce on chicken 5-10 other ways and get the same fix...

Maybe it just taps into a prehistoric carnal desire to quickly eat with their hands and make a mess in the process?
You might be onto something. As a serial consumer of buffalo wings, "boneless wings"  (nuggets tossed in sauce) don't do it for me. Sometimes I put buffalo on thighs or breasts and that doesn't hit the same either. It's still good, but there's something about the wings and legs. Maybe it's just placebo.

Scott5114

My wife swears up and down there's a difference in taste between chicken on the bone and chicken nuggets/strips/boneless wings/whatever, to the point that she won't eat it if it's on the bone.

To me, it's all chicken. Although the only chicken on the bone I'll bother with is drumsticks. Anything else and I feel like I'm spending more time trying to get at the meat and making a huge mess than I am actually eating chicken.

elsmere241

Hobart

I honestly prefer the chicken on the bone; I know sometimes with like, the real feeling sort of chicken from say, boneless chicken breasts in packaging, you run into rubbery texture issues if it's too cheap (and pumped full of water to pump up the price by volume).

If it's a quality chicken tender, I can't tell the difference, besides that it's a chicken tender instead of a whole piece of chicken, and it's small enough for any sort of extra rubbery texture to be negligible. If it's cheap... I can really tell by how tough it is for a larger piece, like what you'd find on a new chicken sandwich from McDonalds, or a boneless chicken breast from the bottom of the barrel.

It is very difficult to find good chicken nowadays.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

ZLoth

Sun-faded road signs, especially in Texas and California. Especially the ones that carry important information like "no right turn" because the one-way frontage road is known for it's high-speed drivers.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

thspfc

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 18, 2023, 08:17:23 PM
My wife swears up and down there's a difference in taste between chicken on the bone and chicken nuggets/strips/boneless wings/whatever, to the point that she won't eat it if it's on the bone.
The difference is added flavors and preservatives.

Scott5114

Quote from: ZLoth on March 19, 2023, 09:54:46 AM
Sun-faded road signs, especially in Texas and California. Especially the ones that carry important information like "no right turn" because the one-way frontage road is known for it's high-speed drivers.

I think it's sort of funny that in Las Vegas occasionally you'll get a sign where the legend is melting right off of the sign face.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on March 19, 2023, 12:24:47 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 18, 2023, 08:17:23 PM
The difference is added flavors and preservatives.

That is a factor, but I think in this case, it's just white meat vs dark meat. Some people just don't like dark meat, but I actually like it better.

Amaury

Quote from: ZLoth on March 19, 2023, 09:54:46 AMSun-faded road signs, especially in Texas and California. Especially the ones that carry important information like "no right turn" because the one-way frontage road is known for it's high-speed drivers.

A few examples in Washington:

https://goo.gl/maps/TT97TsZcJNv5od43A

https://goo.gl/maps/Dw8V6drKyCRM6wXJ7 (Not exactly faded, but sun-damaged. Still legible, but could be replaced, as the posts need to be straightened out, anyway.)

https://goo.gl/maps/e3hGhCHYw9gEcGLcA (You can actually make out the text in person, but yeah. Bonus: Both Freeway Entrance signs fell over sometime between September 2012 and October 2018 and have yet to be replaced.)

On the 6th, I noticed this one finally got a new I-90 sticker. I don't know exactly when it got replaced, but it was sometime this year: https://goo.gl/maps/Cc6iyD7sbtPakreu5
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

elsmere241

It's just another food that I like that she doesn't.  In the grand scheme of things, it's minor.

D-Dey65

Once again, my PC is taking forever to upload pictures and videos on an SD card from one folder to another. And when I try to pause the upload, it takes forever to do that. And when I try to cancel the upload, it takes forever to do that too.

I know there was a thread on this, but I can't find it.

Scott5114

Do you have a second card to test it with? That kind of sounds like it could be hardware failure to me.

D-Dey65

I have lots of cards around. I still can't get this one out though.

Scott5114

Is it jammed in the reader or something?

D-Dey65

I don't know what the problem is. It just says it's cancelling the move of 6 items, which still says it's 16% finished, and is stuck moving one item a 0%. In the meantime, I was still able to create and rename new folders.

hbelkins

That I can't find a good way to rip the audio from a concert DVD so I can listen to it like a live album on my MP3 player.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on March 24, 2023, 10:01:51 AM
That I can't find a good way to rip the audio from a concert DVD so I can listen to it like a live album on my MP3 player.

https://fixthephoto.com/best-free-cd-ripper.html

ZLoth

Quote from: hbelkins on March 24, 2023, 10:01:51 AMThat I can't find a good way to rip the audio from a concert DVD so I can listen to it like a live album on my MP3 player.

Have you tried using VLC → Media → Convert/Save to covert the video file to an audio file, then using MP3 to do the MP3 Tagging?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

hbelkins

Quote from: ZLoth on March 24, 2023, 10:42:21 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 24, 2023, 10:01:51 AMThat I can't find a good way to rip the audio from a concert DVD so I can listen to it like a live album on my MP3 player.

Have you tried using VLC → Media → Convert/Save to covert the video file to an audio file, then using MP3 to do the MP3 Tagging?

Yeah, and VLC hiccuped for some reason.

I finally got Handbrake to work. It kept generating errors ripping the video to an MP4 file (.m4v) but I tweaked something and it finally succeeded. I then used Extract Movie Soundtrack to convert the chapters into .aiff files, then a batch converter (xACT) to rudimentarily tag the AIFFs and export them to MP3s. And finally, I stuck the MP3s on a thumb drive and put it in a PC running MP3Tag to find the accurate tags and some cover art.

And presto, I have a live album from the only Kiss tour I ever saw. It's the Largo, Md. show from July 1979; eight days after I saw them in Rupp Arena in Lexington.

Previously I'd used some obscure programs (A52DECx and 0SEx) to rip and convert concert DVDs, but those apps are long-gone and not compatible with newer versions of the MacOS. This was the first concert DVD I'd tried to rip audio from in a long time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

wanderer2575

Quote from: hbelkins on March 24, 2023, 01:52:18 PM
<snip>
I finally got Handbrake to work. It kept generating errors ripping the video to an MP4 file (.m4v) but I tweaked something and it finally succeeded. I then used Extract Movie Soundtrack to convert the chapters into .aiff files, then a batch converter (xACT) to rudimentarily tag the AIFFs and export them to MP3s. And finally, I stuck the MP3s on a thumb drive and put it in a PC running MP3Tag to find the accurate tags and some cover art.
<snip>

I had to laugh at this.  It reminds me of the "Wordplay" episode of the 1985 Twilight Zone revival, where everyone's language shifted but one guy was left behind and could no longer understand anything that anyone said.  I'm that guy here.

kphoger

In October 2021, I took my family on a camping trip to Guadalupe Mountains National Park.  Before leaving home, I checked the weather forecast for various towns along the way.  Now, 17 months later, www.wunderground.com still thinks I want the weather forecast for Carlsbad, New Mexico.  No matter how many times I search for Wichita, it can't get it through its head that I'd really prefer the forecast for Wichita.  Of course, it only took one time searching for Carlsbad for it to learn that location...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.