News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Oklahoma's First DDI To Open Soon

Started by rte66man, September 23, 2020, 10:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

from ODOT:
https://www.ok.gov/odot/I-40_and_SH-6_Diverging_Diamond_Interchange.html

Elk City's Diverging Diamond Interchange at I-40 & SH-6

Oklahoma's first DDI

I-40 and SH-6 Interchange in Elk City now OPEN in final DDI configuration marking a state first
Drivers should be aware of the new traffic configuration at the I-40 and SH-6/Main St. interchange in Elk City with the opening of the state's first Diverging Diamond Interchange:

SH-6 traffic is now in its final DDI configuration. Drivers should use caution as they enter the reconfigured interchange for the first few times.
  • Motorists need to pay additional attention to all traffic control devices, including the new traffic signals, pavement markings and signage as well as follow the speed limit.
  • This area remains an active construction zone through winter 2020. Motorists are urged to use caution as traffic adjusts to the new configuration.
  • Drivers on I-40 lanes and ramps as well as SH-6 lanes may experience intermittent closures as final work continues. The project is set to complete in winter 2020.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

Didn't ODOT have another DDI planned for the Covell Road interchange with I-35 in Edmond? If so, what happened with that project?

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 25, 2020, 12:18:48 AM
Didn't ODOT have another DDI planned for the Covell Road interchange with I-35 in Edmond? If so, what happened with that project?
Waterloo. It was supposed to be completed by now but it was pushed back. I think construction starts in 2023/24.

Bobby5280

I figured ODOT would hit some of the arguably more busy intersections with I-35 farther South in Edmond. With some of the new things going up near the intersection of Covell Road and I-35 (ShowBiz Cinemas, a few restaurants, etc) they might end up having to convert that interchange into a SPUI.

rte66man

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 25, 2020, 12:27:25 PM
I figured ODOT would hit some of the arguably more busy intersections with I-35 farther South in Edmond. With some of the new things going up near the intersection of Covell Road and I-35 (ShowBiz Cinemas, a few restaurants, etc) they might end up having to convert that interchange into a SPUI.

Not likely as that intersection was just rebuilt about 10 years ago. There are plans to do a full interchange at Danforth but the best candidate for a DDI is 2nd Street.  That interchange is brutal for local traffic.

Also, Waterloo Road is scheduled for Utilities in FFY 2022 and construction in FFY2023

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

With second street I really hope they allow the service roads to go under the street and connect via ramps.

Bobby5280

2nd Street is downright terrible at I-35. Thru traffic on 2nd Street has to endure FOUR traffic signals stacked within that freeway exit. That just sucks. That interchange should be converted into a SPUI with the service roads running underneath 2nd Street. Give the service roads different outlets to get to 2nd Street both North and South of the interchange. 4 sets of traffic signals could be reduced to a single light in the middle of the bridge over I-35.

It reminds me of the traffic clusterf*** we have down here in Lawton where Gore Blvd crosses I-44. Traffic backs up there all the time now on Gore Blvd itself. During the morning and evening rushes the I-44 WB exit ramp to Gore Blvd has traffic backing up clear from the traffic signal onto the main lanes of I-44.

Plutonic Panda

I had to go a Lawton a few months ago to recover a stolen car and the route to get the car and back to I-44 took me down Lee Blvd. I have never encountered a road that had terrible traffic lights like that. I can't say I didn't skip a few lights where there were no cars in sight on my second go.

Bobby5280

Lee Blvd has some annoying traffic lights for sure. At least there aren't a bunch of traffic signals at the I-44 interchange. ODOT could install some freaking street lights there however; it's awful dark there at night. I hate driving on Gore Blvd even more, especially around I-44. Sometimes I'll drive up to Rogers Lane and take that around when I need to go to the East side of Lawton.

MCRoads

My biggest pipe dream is that they would fix the clusterfuck at I-35 and 19th St in Moore, but they only retrofitted the interchange 10 years ago, and just added a double turn to NB 35 about 3 tears ago, so they seem to be determined to keep the road the way it is, dispute the fact that 5 traffic lights in succession is a terrible idea, especially in a main artery.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Bobby5280

Yeah 19th Street in Moore is pretty terrible. The exit ramps on the South side of the interchange are weird. Five traffic signals along 19th Street in close succession is a real slog. On top of that there is ZERO accommodation for pedestrians along 19th Street through the interchange. Anyone on foot or on a bicycle would have to walk a mile down to the new 34th Street bridge to get across I-35. The 4th Street exit had no sidewalks on its bridge over I-35 either.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: rte66man on September 25, 2020, 02:10:10 PM

Not likely as that intersection was just rebuilt about 10 years ago. There are plans to do a full interchange at Danforth but the best candidate for a DDI is 2nd Street.  That interchange is brutal for local traffic.

Also, Waterloo Road is scheduled for Utilities in FFY 2022 and construction in FFY2023

And for some reason, I had thought that the exit at East 2nd Street was already a DDI. But then again, I don't live in Oklahoma.

I do know that MoDOT absolutely *loves* DDI's - and there are plenty throughout the KC Metro (mostly on the Missouri side, but some in Kansas as well). Don't know about Kansas outside the metro, but I think there may be at least one in Wichita. (Anyone from there who can verify?)

skluth

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 18, 2020, 07:41:38 PM
Quote from: rte66man on September 25, 2020, 02:10:10 PM

And for some reason, I had thought that the exit at East 2nd Street was already a DDI. But then again, I don't live in Oklahoma.

I do know that MoDOT absolutely *loves* DDI's - and there are plenty throughout the KC Metro (mostly on the Missouri side, but some in Kansas as well). Don't know about Kansas outside the metro, but I think there may be at least one in Wichita. (Anyone from there who can verify?)

Testify to MODOT's loving DDIs. My uncle lived in Maryland Heights and I loved the DDI at I-270/ Dorsett Rd near his home. It was much better than the previous diamond. MODOT also loved SPUIs like the one near my former home at I-55/Lindbergh. I believe all busier diamonds should be either SPUIs or DDIs, especially in built-up areas if there isn't much room or budget for expansion.

rte66man

HUGE BUMP

I found the following video with reference to the DDI in Elk City starting about 1:35 in:

https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/en/stic/Documents/webinars/ODOT%20EDC%202%20Webinar%20(Cut).mp4

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.