News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Guess the 2di Challenge

Started by SkyPesos, September 10, 2021, 07:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Mostly similar rules to the Guess the Bridge, Speed limit and State challenges...
- Someone posts a picture of somewhere on a 2 digit number interstate highway, and the rest of the people try to guess which interstate it is.
- If you guess incorrectly, you have to wait at least 12 hours or when the next image is posted (whichever comes first) before guessing again.
- The person that guesses correctly gets to post the next picture. If that person doesn't post an image within 24 hours after getting the reply that they guessed correctly, anyone can post an image.
- If the pictured highway is concurrent between multiple numbers, only one of the numbers is needed to count. For example, if a image of I-39/90/94 is posted, and someone guesses I-90, they get to post the next picture.
- You can post a concurrency between a 2di and the 3di, but only the 2di number will be up for guesses.
- You don't have to specify which segment for discontinuous interstates. So "I-88" can refer to both the one in Illinois and the one in New York.
- You don't have to guess which state the interstate highway is in (even for discontinuous interstates), and there won't be any reward for doing so.
- If your entry haven't been correctly guessed after 24 hours, you have to reveal which Forum Region (Ohio Valley, Mid South, Pacific Southwest, etc) it is in.

I'll start with a 3di first digit 1-3...

Changelog:
- Changed the required specifications to include the census region the interstate is in. My entry is the only exception to this, as it was done before the change.
- Removed 3dis from eligibility here (as they're mostly all the same looking generic suburban freeways) to make the game flow better, and removed census regions. Mine and Webny99's first entry are the only exceptions to this.

Scott5114

I-271?

It might make the game more interesting to limit it to photos taken by the user, since I'm sure we've all taken a photo of an Interstate at some point.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 10, 2021, 07:17:10 PM
I-271?

It might make the game more interesting to limit it to photos taken by the user, since I'm sure we've all taken a photo of an Interstate at some point.
Nope

I'll play out this game for a bit before adding/relaxing the rules. Regarding limiting the pictures, maybe that could be implemented later, but I think some people (including myself) take far more pictures focused of road signs on an interstate than the road itself, and it would be sort of hard to use those pictures in this game without some of the surroundings, assuming you blur our whatever is on the sign of course.

webny99

OK, I-295?

(There's multiple I-295's, so I guess in this case if I'm correct, I would get credit regardless of which I-295 it is?)

SkyPesos

Quote from: webny99 on September 10, 2021, 07:34:13 PM
OK, I-295?

(There's multiple I-295's, so I guess in this case if I'm correct, I would get credit regardless of which I-295 it is?)
Nope

(And yea, you would get credit regardless of which I-295 it is.)

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

SkyPesos

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 10, 2021, 07:17:10 PM
I-271?

Stuck in the back seat in my childhood interstate photos were really hard for me.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

You live in Cincinnati.  It's surrounded my a 3di that begins with a 2.  I'm sure this is too obvious, but I-275?

Chris

SkyPesos

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 11, 2021, 02:54:08 AM
You live in Cincinnati.  It's surrounded my a 3di that begins with a 2.  I'm sure this is too obvious, but I-275?

Chris
Nope

SkyPesos

The "Guess the Bridge" thread requires a notable feature on the bridge, and disallows generic overpasses. Would it be too obvious if I require an exit number to be in the photo (like the one below, on the same interstate as the first photo), and possibly reducing the number of ranges to just "2di, 3di 1-4, 3di 5-9" if it makes the game too easy then?

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on September 11, 2021, 10:54:37 AM
Most people don't edit their photos.

Yeah, I think I'd prefer to allow the use of Street View and not have to edit photos, at least for now.

SkyPesos

Quote from: webny99 on September 11, 2021, 11:44:49 AM
Quote from: 1 on September 11, 2021, 10:54:37 AM
Most people don't edit their photos.

Yeah, I think I'd prefer to allow the use of Street View and not have to edit photos, at least for now.
ok, I'll keep it as is for now.

webny99

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 11, 2021, 10:42:16 AM
The "Guess the Bridge" thread requires a notable feature on the bridge, and disallows generic overpasses. Would it be too obvious if I require an exit number to be in the photo, like this one (same interstate as the first photo)?, and possibly reducing the number of ranges to just "2di, 3di 1-4, 3di 5-9" if it makes the game too easy then?

Hmmm. There's already been a few guesses on this one and still tons of options left, so we might need something that narrows it down. What do you think about specifying the state or region, and then 2di or 3di, not which number it starts with?

This one is kind of bothering me now, as I've found several qualifying 3di's with an Exit 32, but none of them have enough lanes. But I suppose there's no harm in trying again... I-270 (considering that OH, MD, and MO all have an Exit 32)?

SkyPesos

Quote from: webny99 on September 11, 2021, 12:15:36 PM
The "Guess the Bridge" thread requires a notable feature on the bridge, and disallows generic overpasses. Would it be too obvious if I require an exit number to be in the photo, like this one (same interstate as the first photo)?, and possibly reducing the number of ranges to just "2di, 3di 1-4, 3di 5-9" if it makes the game too easy then?

Hmmm. There's already been a few guesses on this one and still tons of options left, so we might need something that narrows it down. What do you think about specifying the state or region, and then 2di or 3di, not which number it starts with?

This one is kind of bothering me now, as I've found several qualifying 3di's with an Exit 32, but none of them have enough lanes. But I suppose there's no harm in trying again... I-270 (considering that OH, MD, and MO all have an Exit 32)?
Yes. It's I-270 in Columbus, between I-670 and the Easton Way exit. The Exit 32 tab I left visible is for the Morse Rd exit a bit north of the image location. So you're next.

As for regions, how about using official Census regions, or is that too broad? And I'll still split the 3di into two, to even it out. The numbering categories would be something like this
2di - 70 options
3di first digit 1-3 - 69 options
3di first digit 4-9 - 79 options

(yes, I counted all the 3di a while ago, link to the spreadsheet I did it on.)

webny99

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 11, 2021, 12:19:26 PM
Quote from: webny99 on September 11, 2021, 12:15:36 PM

Yes. It's I-270 in Columbus, between I-670 and the Easton Way exit. The Exit 32 tab I left visible is for the Morse Rd exit a bit north of the image location. So you're next.

Wow!! I was not expecting to be right, I had browsed around that section of I-270 for a bit (in both directions) and didn't think that was it, but sure enough. I'll post my entry shortly.

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 11, 2021, 12:19:26 PM
As for regions, how about using official Census regions, or is that too broad? And I'll still split the 3di into two, to even it out. The numbering categories would be something like this
2di - 70 options
3di first digit 1-3 - 69 options
3di first digit 4-9 - 79 options

(yes, I counted all the 3di a while ago, link to the spreadsheet I did it on.)

That sounds good to me, but I am honestly happy with whatever works for you and everyone else.

webny99

Alright, here's the next interstate to guess. This is a 3di starting with 1-3 in the Northeast.

jlam

Quote from: webny99 on September 11, 2021, 01:18:25 PM
Alright, here's the next interstate to guess. This is a 3di starting with 1-3 in the Northeast.

I-390, considering you're from Rochester? That seems too easy.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

Quote from: jlam on September 11, 2021, 01:50:44 PM
Quote from: webny99 on September 11, 2021, 01:18:25 PM

Now that I'm thinking about it, I might remove the 3di ranges, as it's pretty easy to tell that it's NY in the above pic from the gantry and exit tab style, which leaves only 190, 290, 390, 278 and 287 as choices.

webny99

Quote from: jlam on September 11, 2021, 01:50:44 PM
Reasonable guess, but no.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 11, 2021, 01:51:11 PM
I-290 (New York)
Also no. I-290 is one of very few interstates in NY that's entirely six lanes.

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 11, 2021, 01:54:22 PM
Now that I'm thinking about it, I might remove the 3di ranges, as it's pretty easy to tell that it's NY in the above pic from the gantry and exit tab style, which leaves only 190, 290, 390, 278 and 287 as choices.

Well, I just eliminated 290 and 390, and it's pretty clearly not 278. So that would leave 287 (actually, it's pretty clearly not NY's portion of 287, either) and 190. But rather than wait for those to be guessed, I'll just say it now: this is actually not in New York.
New York uses extruded sign panels instead of incremental, and you don't usually see that type of construction "cone" in New York.

I will note the fact that there's no exit tabs on the sign in the other direction - that could be a potential clue.

Scott5114

Might make the game flow better (and make the guessing easier) if it was limited to 2dis. Urban 3dis kind of all look about the same, so unless there's a gantry visible or something else that tips off which state it's in, it's kind of a crapshoot. 2dis can have more variety due to their long length.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2021, 11:57:53 PM
Might make the game flow better (and make the guessing easier) if it was limited to 2dis. Urban 3dis kind of all look about the same, so unless there's a gantry visible or something else that tips off which state it's in, it's kind of a crapshoot. 2dis can have more variety due to their long length.
Might consider removing 3dis from guessing here, though at the same time, almost all rural 2di in the Midwest look something like this (and no, this image is not up for guesses:

webny99

Allowing only 2dis would still leave 70 choices, which is comparable to the guess the state/province challenge.

I'm fine with whatever is decided, but if we do change to 2di only, just let me know how my entry from above should be handled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.