News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Your own interesting terms for things

Started by kirbykart, August 12, 2022, 04:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

I call ground beef that's packaged in this manner "tubesteak"

[yes, I'm aware of "tubesteak's" more common definition"]

CNGL-Leudimin

Braunschweig. I use this German city as a minced oath for "bullshit" a lot, as its plate code is BS. Brescia in Northern Italy could be used in the same way.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Big John

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 16, 2022, 01:54:22 AM
Braunschweig. I use this German city as a minced oath for "bullshit" a lot, as its plate code is BS. Brescia in Northern Italy could be used in the same way.
I use "Bolshevik" for that.

Henry

I used to call high-mast lights "rec field lights", because they reminded me of the ones you would see at an outdoor recreational field (i.e. baseball diamond/football gridiron); my first experience was going to St. Louis on I-55/I-64 (and I-70 as well), and as soon as I spotted them, I felt like I was at a Little League game. When the lights were first set up on the Dan Ryan during its reconstruction in the 90s, I jokingly called it the world's longest rec field, but now I imagine even that would be no match for the many Houston freeways that are lit up like this.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

I'm fond of saying "cluster foxtrot" to avoid using a profanity while conveying the same sentiment.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jp the roadgeek

A substitute my great aunt used to use for a certain vulgarity: Sound View Beach

Parking Long Island style: One thing I noticed in parking lots on Long Island is that cars tend to all park with their noses facing the same way.  That is, when cars pull into back-to-back parking spaces. they always pull through the first space to the 2nd space so that they look like they're backed into the space they're in.

Quote from: Henry on August 16, 2022, 10:23:05 AM
I used to call high-mast lights "rec field lights", because they reminded me of the ones you would see at an outdoor recreational field (i.e. baseball diamond/football gridiron); my first experience was going to St. Louis on I-55/I-64 (and I-70 as well), and as soon as I spotted them, I felt like I was at a Little League game. When the lights were first set up on the Dan Ryan during its reconstruction in the 90s, I jokingly called it the world's longest rec field, but now I imagine even that would be no match for the many Houston freeways that are lit up like this.

I'd call them "Mass lights" because I always saw them in Massachusetts (rarely in CT) in the area of Mass Pike interchanges (such as the very end of I-84) and on I-91 in the Springfield area. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ethanhopkin14

My brother and I have used the term "Hobby Lobby Guitar".  That is for a instrumental piece using a soothing, easy listening guitar part (usually sliding a lot of the chord changes) in such a way you can visualize yourself shopping at a Hobby Lobby while listening to the song.

We also referred to the Upper Bay of the New York Harbor as "The SIF Water".  That's because it is traversed by the SIF (Staten Island Ferry).

One that came as mistake, "Coats".  These are colored jersey tops, otherwise known as alternate jerseys, worn by baseball teems in lieu of their normal home whites or road greys.  The term comes from my brother playing Ken Griffey Jr. baseball on Nintendo 64 and seeing the team take the field in alternate uniforms, and him being 8 at the time thought the whole team was wearing coats. 

"Dogged" is a term we came up with if you have a small dog in your lap.  I can't get up, I am dogged.

Anyone with a shaved head and a big beard is "Bob Newbie" from The Sims.

I know there are more.....

KCRoadFan

"Bunchup"  or "bunched up"  to refer to a traffic jam. (For example: "I-70 near the stadiums is looking a little bunched up right now."  Or, "There's a bit of a bunchup on I-35." )

"Clank"  for when a basketball player misses a free throw. ("He clanked it." )

"Waterpark season"  to refer to the summer.

During the Fourth of July, "pre-fireworks"  and "post-fireworks"  to refer to the fireworks that other people in the area shoot off before the start of an official display, and after the end of it, respectively.

"The wasteland months"  to refer to January and February (and sometimes early March), that long, cold stretch after Christmas and before spring arrives.

kphoger

1.  I'm sure I got this from some comedy routine or something years ago, but I don't really know.  Anyway, the term caught on in my family long ago, and among a few friends as well.

These are called "whumpit rolls'":

That's because, to open the container, you whump it on the edge of the countertop.

2.  My wife and have two different terms for cuddling up in bed.  "Snuggling" is the normal term that everyone is familiar with.  "Nuggling" is a portmanteau of "naked snuggling".

3.  "Acapulco style" is singing that's not accompanied by any musical instruments.  This started in high school, when someone in the church choir misunderstood the director saying "a capella" as "Acapulco".  (Similarly, someone once misunderstood "airy descant" as "eerie death chant".)

4.  Rap is called "yo yo music".  This started with my wife, probably twenty years ago or more, when she would gripe about her sister's taste in music.  You know, all those guys shouting yo yo! and such.  We both still use the term.

5. I didn't realize until just now that "wayback" is a term used by more than just my parents to refer to the area behind the rear seat of a hatchback or station wagon.

I know there are more, but those are all I can think of at the moment.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 30, 2022, 06:52:47 PM

"The wasteland months"  to refer to January and February (and sometimes early March), that long, cold stretch after Christmas and before spring arrives.

Conversely, I always call September-December the "Ber Months".  Somehow the start of the Bers feels festive, even though there is a thousand miles difference between September 1st and December 25th.  Plus, when the Bers hit, I feel like the year is finally old and winding down despite there still being 4 months left. 

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 30, 2022, 06:57:29 PM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 30, 2022, 06:52:47 PM

Conversely, I always call Saptember-December the "Ber Months".  Somehow the start of the Bers feels festive, even though there is a thousand miles difference between September 1st and December 25th.  Plus, when the Bers hit, I feel like the year is finally old and winding down despite there still being 4 months left. 

There's also a lot of "brr"  during the -ber months.  :awesomeface:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

formulanone

I used to say "downscalator" for an escalator that goes to a lower level.

Scott5114

entexased: the state of being contained within a Texas-shaped area. Used most obviously to refer to actual Texas, but it could also refer to e.g. being inside a Texas-shaped swimming pool. When one has this condition removed from them, they are disentexased.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kendancy66

I combined the words awesome and optimal to create "awesomal"  It means the most efficient awesome

kphoger

Branson gear – when your vehicle has to downshift twice just to maintain something resembling highway speed.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on August 30, 2022, 06:54:10 PM

5. I didn't realize until just now that "wayback" is a term used by more than just my parents to refer to the area behind the rear seat of a hatchback or station wagon.

I know there are more, but those are all I can think of at the moment.

We called that the "back back"  because we picked it up from a kid who lived down the street who called it that. I had forgotten about that until I saw your post.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 14, 2022, 01:50:37 PM

Quote from: bandit957 on August 12, 2022, 11:05:34 PM
A "burpoo" is a belch that tastes like poo.

I take two diabetic medications that at times cause this. Maybe one of few times pooing is not, in fact, cool.

I wasn't bothered by |bandit957| knowing that his burps taste like poo.  After all, flavor is mostly smell, and we've all smelled poo.  No, what bothered me is that his burps taste like poo to begin with.

And now I'm even more bothered, because it apparently isn't just him...
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on August 31, 2022, 11:25:46 AM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 14, 2022, 01:50:37 PM

Quote from: bandit957 on August 12, 2022, 11:05:34 PM
A "burpoo" is a belch that tastes like poo.

I take two diabetic medications that at times cause this. Maybe one of few times pooing is not, in fact, cool.

I wasn't bothered by |bandit957| knowing that his burps taste like poo.  After all, flavor is mostly smell, and we've all smelled poo.  No, what bothered me is that his burps taste like poo to begin with.

And now I'm even more bothered, because it apparently isn't just him...

I worked for someone who was extremely diabetic and was on anti-rejection drugs because he'd had a kidney transplant. I don't know what kind of oral medications he was on, but he would occasionally burp and the smell was awful. I can only imagine what it tasted like for him.

webny99

Meanwhile, throw-up burps or "puke burps" as I used to call them, are fairly common and probably not a whole lot more pleasant.

SectorZ

Quote from: webny99 on August 31, 2022, 12:27:51 PM
Meanwhile, throw-up burps or "puke burps" as I used to call them, are fairly common and probably not a whole lot more pleasant.

I used to call those pizza burps as a kid. I don't know why as I didn't even eat pizza as a kid.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: SectorZ on August 31, 2022, 03:12:51 PM
Quote from: webny99 on August 31, 2022, 12:27:51 PM

I used to call those pizza burps as a kid. I don't know why as I didn't even eat pizza as a kid.

My sister and I would call those "Cereal Burps" or "Cheerio Burps" I guess because we both ate a lot of Cheerios as kids so the burps tasted like that...

hbelkins

If one of the cats passes gas, it's called "catulence."

CNGL-Leudimin

Bumping this because I remembered another own term: a time zone boundary gets called a "spacetime rift" by me.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

The moment a daylight savings change takes effect is "time travel" here. ("Oh, it's only 3am now, not 4, due to time travel.")
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hunty2022

Gordonsviller [adjective]

A roundabout with at least one entrance that has a stop sign. Name comes from the closest one to me.

Mechanicsville [adjective] [definition #2]

When a road gets re-aligned almost right next to the old alignment, like Bypass US 360 and Business US 360 in the namesake town.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.