Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Dish Network/Sling dispute with Disney

<< < (2/7) > >>

brad2971:

--- Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 02, 2022, 11:38:56 AM ---
--- Quote from: Rothman on October 02, 2022, 11:06:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 02, 2022, 10:37:42 AM ---When are we finally going to eliminate the middle man "providers" and be able to subscribe to channels directly?

--- End quote ---
The cable business model of yesteryear is now the streaming model of now.  Thinking the middle man will be eliminated is quixotic.

--- End quote ---

But streaming allows companies to market their channels directly. We already have Disney+ and ESPN+. Disney could easily package their channels with one or both. Comcast could market their channels with Peacock. Paramount could market their channels with Paramount+. The only major TV company that doesn't have its own streaming platform right now is FOX.

--- End quote ---

While FOX doesn't have the overarching streaming app like Peacock and Paramount+ as of yet, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to put FOX's current entertainment programming onto Tubi. Unfortunately, FOX Nation is the best one's going to get for the next few years as far as a FOX News live streaming app, (we can thank CNN+ for doing this damage) and FOX Sports has somewhat the same issue with putting its premium sports product on live streaming that ESPN does.

ZLoth:
It would be noted that both E$PN and the Regional $ports network (R$Ns) have the most expensive per-subscriber fees of any sets of channels. Per this article, the per-subscriber fee for the E$PN channels was $10 per month whether you watched the channel or not. And, per this article, the Regional $ports Network fees are at least $5 per month whether you watched the channel or not. Most of the non-$ports channels are under $2 per month, and many are under $1 per month.

It should be noted that Dish Network (and Sling) have told the regional sports networks to drop dead. At the end of 2021, Dish dropped all of the Regional $ports Networks with the removal of the NESN. They aren't the only ones, as other multichannel providers have dropped the R$Ns citing the high cost and low ratings. What really rubbed salt in the wounds is that the R$Ns still charged their fees in 2020 when absolutely no sports were on.

Now, I hear one of the contractual points is that Disney is insisting on E$PN on all the tiers of services where previously, the lowest tier was exempt.

vdeane:
This type of issue is the reason why I've been hesitant to get some form of cable subscription, even if my reception isn't always the best.

--- Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 02, 2022, 10:37:42 AM ---When are we finally going to eliminate the middle man "providers" and be able to subscribe to channels directly?

--- End quote ---
Streaming one's local station for CBS is possible with Paramount+.  I don't recall if the same is true with NBC and Peacock or not.  Disney has chosen not to do the same with ABC and FOX.  PBS actually allows such streaming for free online.  The CW is co-owned by two companies, which complicates things.

--- Quote from: brad2971 on October 02, 2022, 12:08:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 02, 2022, 11:38:56 AM ---
--- Quote from: Rothman on October 02, 2022, 11:06:40 AM ---

--- End quote ---
The cable business model of yesteryear is now the streaming model of now.  Thinking the middle man will be eliminated is quixotic.

--- End quote ---

But streaming allows companies to market their channels directly. We already have Disney+ and ESPN+. Disney could easily package their channels with one or both. Comcast could market their channels with Peacock. Paramount could market their channels with Paramount+. The only major TV company that doesn't have its own streaming platform right now is FOX.

--- End quote ---

While FOX doesn't have the overarching streaming app like Peacock and Paramount+ as of yet, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to put FOX's current entertainment programming onto Tubi. Unfortunately, FOX Nation is the best one's going to get for the next few years as far as a FOX News live streaming app, (we can thank CNN+ for doing this damage) and FOX Sports has somewhat the same issue with putting its premium sports product on live streaming that ESPN does.

--- End quote ---
The FOX entertainment division is owned by Disney, so wouldn't that make Hulu/Disney+ the streaming apps for FOX just like they are for ABC?

Scott5114:
The only winning move is not to play. 🏴‍☠️

hbelkins:
You have to have decent, affordable broadband service to use streaming services. Therefore I don't have streaming services.

Dish seems to be more popular than DirecTV in these parts. UK fans weren't happy when they couldn't watch the UK-Ole Miss game yesterday. Turns out they didn't miss much. I was out running errands and recorded the game, but deleted the recording unwatched.

If you live in a city with decent broadband Internet, you can pick up the over-the-air channels and all their subchannels and then choose whichever streaming services you want. I don't get that option. i can't even pick up the Lexington stations OTA. When I was growing up, we only got two of the three Lexington stations OTA (the NBC and CBS affiliates; we couldn't pick up the ABC affiliate.) The switch to digital ensured that OTA television can't be watched here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version