News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Could USA and Canada expand?

Started by Poiponen13, October 19, 2022, 08:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

Could USA and Canada take some easternmost lands of Russia? More and more people are moving to European Russia, so this would be a good case. USA would take Chukotka and Canada would take Kamchatka and westernmost Aleutisn Islands from Alaska.

davewiecking

Quote from: Poiponen13 on October 19, 2022, 08:55:02 AM
Could USA and Canada take some easternmost lands of Russia? More and more people are moving to European Russia, so this would be a good case. USA would take Chukotka and Canada would take Kamchatka and westernmost Aleutisn Islands from Alaska.

"Take" ? Not likely.

Rothman

Someone plays too much Risk.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

We took the Philippines for almost five decades. It's not impossible. That said, we didn't treat them well, so it might not be worth it.

Also, if Russia loses, why would countries uninvolved in the war take their land?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

US 89

The Philippines didn't have nukes to drop on us.

Poiponen13

Quote from: davewiecking on October 19, 2022, 08:59:35 AM
Could USA and Canada take some easternmost lands of Russia? More and more people are moving to European Russia, so this would be a good case. USA would take Chukotka and Canada would take Kamchatka and westernmost Aleutian Islands from Alaska.

"Take" ? Not likely.

And man-made islands could be built west of Pacific Coast.

Rothman

Quote from: Poiponen13 on October 19, 2022, 09:05:15 AM
Could USA and Canada take some easternmost lands of Russia? More and more people are moving to European Russia, so this would be a good case. USA would take Chukotka and Canada would take Kamchatka and westernmost Aleutian Islands from Alaska.

"Take" ? Not likely.

Your imagination impressively has no bounds.  None whatsoever...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MikieTimT

"Take" ? Not likely.

I was always under the impression that a large chunk of the west coast was doomed to slide off into the Pacific.  That would make the U.S. smaller, and arguably slightly more united.

Poiponen13

"Take" ? Not likely.

Kamchatka would be own province and Chukotka would be part of Alaska.

JoePCool14

If we take Russia, does that mean we can expand the Interstate system, a la Alanland?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hotdogPi

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 19, 2022, 09:33:14 AM
If we take Russia, does that mean we can expand the Interstate system, a la Alanland?

Seems more like FritzOwl to me.

Fritzland will be the US's only oblast (Russian, not Alanian) until it becomes a state, and then it will become just like any other state.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Poiponen13

Which even is Alanland? And Chukotka, such sparsely populated area would have just some state highways. But takings form other continents and man-made islands should have extensions of east-west highways and new north-south highways.

roadman65

Well considering Certain powers support demising Russia, you better be careful what you say😀😂😂😂😂😂 :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JoePCool14

Quote from: Poiponen13 on October 19, 2022, 09:55:45 AM
Which even is Alanland? And Chukotka, such sparsely populated area would have just some state highways. But takings form other continents and man-made islands should have extensions of east-west highways and new north-south highways.

One does not simply know what Alanland is. But also knowing what Alanland is, is a law in Alanland.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

mgk920

Well, seeing as the current USA-Russia border is a fairly easily defensible stretch of water and Mr. Putin is a pretty 'old school' European dictatorial type, I'm not expecting a redux of Seward's Folly in far eastern Siberia any time soon.  OTOH, with the way things are going WRT national politics inside of Canada, stay tuned - anything can happen.

IMHO, the most likely new 'star' on the USA's national flag will be Puerto Rico.

Mike

oscar

The ongoing Kilauea volcanic eruption on Hawaii's Big Island occasionally changes the island's shoreline. Sometimes to add land, but sometimes the new land collapses or slides into the ocean (stupid people who hiked onto the new land have died that way).

The underwater eruption of the Loihi volcano may add a new Hawaiian island, or land to the Big Island. That is expected to take tens of thousands of years.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 19, 2022, 10:16:14 AM

One does not simply know what Alanland is. But also knowing what Alanland is, is a law in Alanland.

For the benefit of Poiponen13, whose profile shows 43 posts: You have inadvertently stumbled into a long-running inside joke, as it were. Read the original 82-page thread. Or don't.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 19, 2022, 10:33:45 AM

For the benefit of Poiponen13, whose profile shows 43 posts: You have inadvertently stumbled into a long-running inside joke, as it were. Read the original 82-page thread. Or don't.
I don't understand anything related to "Alanland".

Rothman

Quote from: Poiponen13 on October 19, 2022, 10:48:55 AM

I'm taken it as commentary on your original idea, however fanciful it was intended.

NWI_Irish96

You're getting some non-serious responses because this is pretty much an impossibility. Any attempt to "take" land from Russia would result in a global war, and there's no plausible scenario under the current geopolitical climate by which Russia would voluntarily give up land.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jlam

Which even is Alanland?
To quote the Alanlandian anthem:
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC
I just ran away from home
Now I'm going to al lan land
I just crashed my car again bailing on the 495 hot lanes
I just robbed Elkins EZ Pass
I'm going to al lan land
I just flipped off President B
I'm going to al lan land
I just tossed a fifth of gin on NE2
I just completed I-74
Shot my gun into the night
I'm going to al lan land
I just saw a good man die
I'm going to al lan land
Stole the I shield of Tom from Ohio's driveway
Now I'm going to Al Lan Land
Labeled US 231 to I-67
Now I'm Going to AL Lan Land
Built a 3rd Beltway around Little Rock
Now I'm Going to Al Lan Land
Kicked my ass out of school
Rolled me out into the street
Hitched a ride on a monkey's back
Headed west into the black
I'm going to al lan land
To speak or not to speak of the anthem is punishable by death on the first offense. The second offense is punishable by wearing a silly hat.

1995hoo

As I said, "You have inadvertently stumbled into a long-running inside joke ...." Don't bother trying to understand it. Just accept it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SectorZ

Or the Cold War, or nuclear threats, or being vaporized at 540,000 degrees (or 300,000 on your scale).

Poiponen13

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 19, 2022, 11:07:10 AM

You're getting some non-serious responses because this is pretty much an impossibility. Any attempt to "take" land from Russia would result in a global war, and there's no plausible scenario under the current geopolitical climate by which Russia would voluntarily give up land.
But could Russia cede them peacefully to USA and Canada? I predict that Russia will break up to smaller countries in future.

SectorZ

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 19, 2022, 11:07:10 AM

At least it would be a very short war. It would also solve global warming. So there's that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.