News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why are people here way to serious

Started by roadman65, November 09, 2022, 06:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 12, 2022, 01:07:25 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2022, 12:45:10 PM
Then there's MultimillionMiler who is another Deizlsaab except with different focus.

DZ was just as obsessed with the Sabb brand as he was with the Hypotenuse.  The Sabbifesto in particular is becoming quaint in this increasingly EV-centric automotive world:

http://dzlsabe.com/aboutus.html

I just lost tons of brain cells going to that website. I wonder when he last updated it, given there is a Bill O'Reilly rant on there...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on November 14, 2022, 09:07:22 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 12, 2022, 01:07:25 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2022, 12:45:10 PM
Then there's MultimillionMiler who is another Deizlsaab except with different focus.

DZ was just as obsessed with the Sabb brand as he was with the Hypotenuse.  The Sabbifesto in particular is becoming quaint in this increasingly EV-centric automotive world:

http://dzlsabe.com/aboutus.html

I just lost tons of brain cells going to that website. I wonder when he last updated it, given there is a Bill O'Reilly rant on there...

He last updated it when he yanked his Hypotenuse manifesto.  It was titled under something like "the missing link."

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 12, 2022, 08:21:19 AM
Is the problem that Person A is hijacking or injecting their own ideas into Person B's thread? Maybe there needs to be a rule against that if there isn't already.

It's a forum, therefore it isn't any one person's thread.  Other than disregard for specific criteria laid out by the thread title or the OP, the author shouldn't really be able to say "get out of my thread".

What is disallowed by the forum rules is starting a topic that has nothing to do with the main topic of the thread.  This is, of course, moderated with a very long leash, as conversation usually tends to get back on track on its own.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on November 14, 2022, 02:43:37 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 12, 2022, 08:21:19 AM
Is the problem that Person A is hijacking or injecting their own ideas into Person B's thread? Maybe there needs to be a rule against that if there isn't already.

It's a forum, therefore it isn't any one person's thread.  Other than disregard for specific criteria laid out by the thread title or the OP, the author shouldn't really be able to say "get out of my thread".

What is disallowed by the forum rules is starting a topic that has nothing to do with the main topic of the thread.  This is, of course, moderated with a very long leash, as conversation usually tends to get back on track on its own.

I think there's a pretty obvious line between a conversation naturally sidetracking (the conversation led in a different direction and can steer itself back) and another that becomes artificially sidetracked for a user's own attention/amusement (i.e. trolling).

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on November 14, 2022, 02:43:37 PM... conversation usually tends to get back on track on its own.

That could be the subject of heavy debate on its own...

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: kirbykart on November 14, 2022, 08:36:39 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 09, 2022, 07:16:07 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 09, 2022, 07:12:01 PM

Quote from: kphoger on November 09, 2022, 01:10:01 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 09, 2022, 06:43:46 AM
It seems we insult people we haven't met or know who they are here.

This is true.  It's much easier to be mean on a keyboard than it is in person.  I'm probably guilty of this more than anyone, and I owe everyone an apology.

Accepted.

Maybe the two of you can make up over a nice meal at Olive Garden.

We need to build an Olive Garden in Joliet.

Only if it's built on hilly terrain.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 14, 2022, 10:38:51 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on November 14, 2022, 08:36:39 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 09, 2022, 07:16:07 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 09, 2022, 07:12:01 PM

Quote from: kphoger on November 09, 2022, 01:10:01 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 09, 2022, 06:43:46 AM
It seems we insult people we haven't met or know who they are here.

This is true.  It's much easier to be mean on a keyboard than it is in person.  I'm probably guilty of this more than anyone, and I owe everyone an apology.

Accepted.

Maybe the two of you can make up over a nice meal at Olive Garden.

We need to build an Olive Garden in Joliet.

Only if it's built on hilly terrain.

Make Illinois not flat again

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Well...if you all are going talk about being serious, get with the groove.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on November 22, 2022, 04:26:32 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 22, 2022, 04:22:55 PM

Quote from: kphoger on November 22, 2022, 04:05:44 PM

Quote from: kkt on November 22, 2022, 04:02:41 PM
Telling someone that your opinion is obvious is not an argument.

This is what I mean.

Yes MMM is making it sound like it's common sense to renumber any highway he feels needs renumbering, but kppoger should know he isn't using the right verbiage in his vocabulary. However, I'm not here to judge him. In fact I'm giving him the benefit as MMM is another Dzlsabe and won't shut up about his convictions on road politics.

I know he is weary as many others are here of that guy's rants about tolls and I-80 terminating too soon on the east coast.  I'm not going to argue that here nor am I going to defend his suggestion and hypothetical reasonings over child I-4 freeways on the FL toll roads. 

Just pointing out how we overreact whether the reason behind it whether worthy of merit or  or dumb.  Then we all outside here get called weirdos for so being into roads by others out there who think it's useless knowledge to talk about, but then on here we do even weirder things on here when we conform everyone to proper grammar and spelling proving the outsiders who thing road enthusiasts are eccentric correct.

Heck one time a moderator thought I was being political when I suggested the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel in NYC be named after those who died on 9/11 instead of Hugh Carey.   He thought my reasoning was Hugh L. Carey's political affiliation which it was far from as I didn't even know what party Gov. Carey even was.  He jumped the gun because I posted some religious and political stuff on social media, and assumed I was a Republican in my personal life.  Truth be told, I'm a view person rather than an a stereotype and vote usually the lesser of two evils or third party, or even a write in vote as I done in one specific election due to being undecided in Romney verses Obama.   

Point is we jump the gun for whatever reason on people and we get super heated on many occasions especially our Spectrum Crowd.   That's why I say we need to not get our tempers up and whine over silly stuff.   Yes MMM is a whiner, but sooner or later he is going to get tired and move along. Why feed his hunger for curiosity or give him reason to over rebut his points, whatever they are.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

^ Whoa, I am not sure what happened to the above quote, but it doesn't look right...

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on November 23, 2022, 10:44:35 AM
^ Whoa, I am not sure what happened to the above quote, but it doesn't look right...

Almost all of that text is what |roadman65| typed in response.  I was going to say something about the formatting, but then he would have griped about that.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2022, 10:54:47 AM
Quote from: webny99 on November 23, 2022, 10:44:35 AM

Almost all of that text is what |roadman65| typed in response.  I was going to say something about the formatting, but then he would have griped about that.

I actually thought it was all roadman65's text.

Four quotes + text inside only two of them =  :confused:

kphoger

OK, I rarely take the time to do this, but here you go.  These are all of the posts quoted, sorted out in chronological order:

Quote from: kkt on November 22, 2022, 04:02:41 PM
Telling someone that your opinion is obvious is not an argument.

Quote from: kphoger on November 22, 2022, 04:05:44 PM
Indeed.  For example, here are my two counter-arguments, which are just as strong as MultiDozenMiler's:

1.  It is not obvious that those two highways should be I-204 and I-404.

2.  It is obvious that those two highway should not be I-204 and I-404.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 22, 2022, 04:22:55 PM
The argument is that those routes simply don't intersect I-4 one time or have one end at it..etc, they appear almost exactly like beltways/loops, directly attached to I-4. The existing route number doesn't have to be removed so it doesn't worsen any confusion or existing grid pattern. Very simple.

Quote from: kphoger on November 22, 2022, 04:26:32 PM
None of that makes it obvious that they should become I-anything.

Quote from: roadman65 on November 23, 2022, 01:10:04 AM
This is what I mean.

Yes MMM is making it sound like it's common sense to renumber any highway he feels needs renumbering, but kppoger should know he isn't using the right verbiage in his vocabulary. However, I'm not here to judge him. In fact I'm giving him the benefit as MMM is another Dzlsabe and won't shut up about his convictions on road politics.

I know he is weary as many others are here of that guy's rants about tolls and I-80 terminating too soon on the east coast.  I'm not going to argue that here nor am I going to defend his suggestion and hypothetical reasonings over child I-4 freeways on the FL toll roads. 

Just pointing out how we overreact whether the reason behind it whether worthy of merit or  or dumb.  Then we all outside here get called weirdos for so being into roads by others out there who think it's useless knowledge to talk about, but then on here we do even weirder things on here when we conform everyone to proper grammar and spelling proving the outsiders who thing road enthusiasts are eccentric correct.

Heck one time a moderator thought I was being political when I suggested the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel in NYC be named after those who died on 9/11 instead of Hugh Carey.   He thought my reasoning was Hugh L. Carey's political affiliation which it was far from as I didn't even know what party Gov. Carey even was.  He jumped the gun because I posted some religious and political stuff on social media, and assumed I was a Republican in my personal life.  Truth be told, I'm a view person rather than an a stereotype and vote usually the lesser of two evils or third party, or even a write in vote as I done in one specific election due to being undecided in Romney verses Obama.   

Point is we jump the gun for whatever reason on people and we get super heated on many occasions especially our Spectrum Crowd.   That's why I say we need to not get our tempers up and whine over silly stuff.   Yes MMM is a whiner, but sooner or later he is going to get tired and move along. Why feed his hunger for curiosity or give him reason to over rebut his points, whatever they are.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Goodness, so only two of those are actually included here. Well, thanks for doing that.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on November 23, 2022, 12:10:35 PM
Goodness, so only two of those are actually included here. Well, thanks for doing that.

Actually, I think he's implying that I should have known what MultiDozenMiler meant by "obvious"–known that he meant some other "verbiage in his vocabulary" instead.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2022, 12:15:52 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 23, 2022, 12:10:35 PM

Actually, I think he's implying that I should have known what MultiDozenMiler meant by "obvious"–known that he meant some other "verbiage in his vocabulary" instead.

OK, I think I got it now, although of course, you never know for sure. Either way, it was a thoroughly enjoyable rant.  :-D

Roadgeekteen

I agree, I'm not a very serious guy and I wish that this forum was less serious. We can all joke around without complaining all the time. On the other hand, sometimes people post a very serious, thought out post and everyone just makes a bunch of lame jokes in response. Especially on fictional highways.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 30, 2022, 11:20:24 PM
I agree, I'm not a very serious guy and I wish that this forum was less serious. We can all joke around without complaining all the time. On the other hand, sometimes people post a very serious, thought out post and everyone just makes a bunch of lame jokes in response. Especially on fictional highways.

When I posted a serious topic last in Fictional the subject of this thread tried to hijack as he did other serious threads.  I'm sorry, when I devote several hours of pouring through AASHTO documents it kind of pisses me off when a certain rollercoaster enthusiast tried to override a serious hypothetical question based in actual history. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 01:26:26 PM
The only hypocrisy I find is that if people are allowed to post about certain people in New threads, it's only fair that that person can respond to them in that same thread. Otherwise, all comments about that person should go into that person's containment thread, otherwise it's only fair that the person in question can respond to them outside that containment thread. I personally don't mind people talking about each other in random threads, but they should be able to respond as well.

So why not quit the forum and avoid all the hypocrisy?

jmacswimmer

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 01:05:19 PM
The only thing I am surprised at is how many people are into all the technical geographical/economic/political implications of fictional highways. I thought roadgeeks would mainly be obsessed with the grid and building new highways than how feasible it would be. Even on suggestions just involving redesignations, I never expected people to start responding with how it would cost $100,000 in signage..etc. But in general you guys are cool, and the mods seem much more engaged than on other social media where they just delete/lock stuff they don't agree with and you don't even know why or who..etc. Also, given how the intro board is like "don't let on how crazy we are" I figured there were many more grid fanatics like me LOL

Speaking for myself at least, but I believe others feel similarly...

When I was younger (well before my days on this forum), yes it was absolutely fun to doodle roadways, plan out fictional interstates, renumber things for the sake of the grid, imagine way-overdesigned interchanges. etc.  But as I got older, studied civil engineering in college, and now work in transportation engineering, I found I just didn't get any enjoyment out of those sorts of things anymore because I now knew how the process works and just how expensive such projects can be, the work that goes into simply securing the funding, the lawsuits & debates over environmental implications, etc.

With that said, the fictional thread generally serves its purpose well and I can still occasionally have fun reading some of the semi-realistic stuff there. But it's also easy to ignore when I'm not in a fictional mood, which is most of the time.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2022, 01:34:21 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 01:26:26 PM
The only hypocrisy I find is that if people are allowed to post about certain people in New threads, it's only fair that that person can respond to them in that same thread. Otherwise, all comments about that person should go into that person's containment thread, otherwise it's only fair that the person in question can respond to them outside that containment thread. I personally don't mind people talking about each other in random threads, but they should be able to respond as well.

So why not quit the forum and avoid all the hypocrisy?

Because it doesn't personally bother me. I don't let myself get worked up over internet posts. That was just the only "flaw" I could find in the overall functioning of the forum.

kphoger

I don't generally post outside of my containment thread  unless I am actually interested in the topic in question

And inserting your blather into the PA Turnpike News[/b] thread.

I find this forum pretty civil, much more civil and rational than youtube comments for example. In fact, this is the only form of social media right now I have because everything else is either tyrannical in their censorship or totally uninteresting. I consider this forum part of my driving hobby and not just "screen time".

Several years ago, it was more toxic.  It has definitely tamed down since then.  There were flare-ups at the beginning of COVID, but those died down eventually (especially when the thread was locked).

The only thing I am surprised at is how many people are into all the technical geographical/economic/political implications of fictional highways. I thought roadgeeks would mainly be obsessed with the grid and building new highways than how feasible it would be ... I figured there were many more grid fanatics like me

You were wrong.  Not everyone gets a rise out of doodling numbers on a map.

LOL

LOL
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 02:11:13 PM
I can imagine. I would never even think of mentioning covid in an online forum. Most of my designation extensions weren't just doodling, they were to eliminate obvious abominations, like I-495 being longer than I-95 in the same state.

What is the old saying that used to get threads locked?  Was it "Trump is a mezzanine?"   How about "Trump is a mezzanine with super COVID brought on by Daylight Savings Time?"

MultiMillionMiler

No clue, I just joined a month ago. I also deleted facebook/Twitter over a year ago. Youtube I don't even use an account. I didn't even vote in the midterms.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.