News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best improvements in automotive-related technology?

Started by ZLoth, November 25, 2022, 11:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2022, 04:53:51 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2022, 03:23:42 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2022, 12:22:50 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2022, 09:55:16 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on November 27, 2022, 08:14:55 AM
Quote from: GaryV on November 26, 2022, 06:58:27 AMElectric starter has to be on the list. Getting rid of that crank was a major improvement.

Also, elimination of the gravity-flow fuel system. Some cars had to go backwards up a steep hill so that the gas would still flow to the engine.

I realize both of these are from a long time ago, but they are major improvements.

With all due respect... when did you have to deal with this on your daily driver?

Millions who bought Model T did deal with it.  One drive in a Model T and you realize quick how closely driving used to resemble taking the riding lawnmower out for a spin.  Imagine a less capable version of a riding lawnmower being your commuter or something you drive across the country with.
Was this also an issue with Model As?

The 1903-04 original or the 1927-31 successor?
Successor

If I recall correct the second Model A was also a gravity feed but came with a standard electric starter.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2022, 05:16:43 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2022, 04:53:51 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2022, 03:23:42 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2022, 12:22:50 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2022, 09:55:16 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on November 27, 2022, 08:14:55 AM
Quote from: GaryV on November 26, 2022, 06:58:27 AMElectric starter has to be on the list. Getting rid of that crank was a major improvement.

Also, elimination of the gravity-flow fuel system. Some cars had to go backwards up a steep hill so that the gas would still flow to the engine.

I realize both of these are from a long time ago, but they are major improvements.

With all due respect... when did you have to deal with this on your daily driver?

Millions who bought Model T did deal with it.  One drive in a Model T and you realize quick how closely driving used to resemble taking the riding lawnmower out for a spin.  Imagine a less capable version of a riding lawnmower being your commuter or something you drive across the country with.
Was this also an issue with Model As?

The 1903-04 original or the 1927-31 successor?
Successor

If I recall correct the second Model A was also a gravity feed but came with a standard electric starter.
Ah, okay.  My grandfather had one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Henry

Seconded on the backup cameras. I like how they eliminate the need to look behind while in reverse, and thus make a safer maneuver out of it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

XamotCGC

Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

kkt

Quote from: Road Hog on November 26, 2022, 11:45:57 AM
Quote from: skluth on November 26, 2022, 11:37:30 AM
The catalytic converter. For those too young to have seen it, the smog around many major cities in the 60s was unbelievable. The smog around Beijing today isn't much different than the LA smog of fifty years ago. The improved health of city children after removing lead from gasoline is also one of the best improvements.
The next great invention will be an anti-theft device of some sort that keeps thieves from cutting off and stealing these catalytic converters. They cost thousands of dollars to replace on some models.

Engrave them with serial numbers?

Other inventions:

- reverse gear (okay this is a long time ago now), backup cameras

- cruise control, reduces leg cramp on long trips

- modern mild turbochargers, better gas mileage for almost free

abefroman329

Quote from: kkt on November 29, 2022, 02:53:18 PMEngrave them with serial numbers?
Wouldn't help - they're being stolen because of the rare elements they contain (which is also why they're so expensive to replace).

One suburban police department was offering to spray-paint them pink for free, because (a) cops don't understand why they're stolen and (b) apparently cops think pink=gay=bad.

JREwing78

I grew up at the end of the so-called Malaise era of automotive technology. The big advancements, as far as I'm concerned:

- Electronic fuel injection - This was the innovation that finally allowed vehicles to escape the drivability horrors of the late-70s and early 80s, when automakers tried (largely in vain) to get carburetors to pass emissions regulations. Fuel-injection was available in limited degrees prior to computer-control, but it was hard to tune and even harder to keep it that way. Once fuel injection was smart enough to manage air-fuel ratios with electronics, cars took a gigantic leap forward in drivability and power while simultaneously running cleaner. It is also the major item (in direct-injection form) allowing automakers to build powerful small-displacement (but high-efficiency) turbo engines and offset ever-increasing vehicle weight.

- Electronic ignition/coil-on-plug ignition - It did for spark what electronic fuel injection did for fuel.

- Radial tires - This was a great leap forward in all-around grip, durability, and improving overall safety.

- Anti-Lock Brakes - You can't steer if you're skidding! As the systems evolved into stability control systems, countless lives have been saved through cars handling in a more safe and predictable manner in all conditions.

- Lithium-ion batteries - This is the major development that has made vehicle electrification a viable path forward. Without sufficiently power-dense batteries, electric vehicles have previously been little more than sideshows. As battery tech continues to improve, automakers are finding battery-electric vehicles a more viable technology (even with current limitations) than continuing to evolve gasoline internal combustion engines.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.