News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Table formatting

Started by J N Winkler, November 05, 2010, 05:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

A quick Google search has turned up nothing--is there a way (on this board) to create tables with user-selectable border width?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

corco

Probably easier and more functional to write it in Excel, screenshot it, and then post the image

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on November 05, 2010, 10:19:39 AM
Probably easier and more functional to write it in Excel, screenshot it, and then post the image

*shudder*

easier, unless you want to quote it, modify it, etc. 

I should start posting all of my text-only posts as images, like so many circa-1996 web designers were apt to do.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 05, 2010, 05:17:40 AM
A quick Google search has turned up nothing--is there a way (on this board) to create tables with user-selectable border width?

There might be a mod out there for SMF, but any new addon for the forums would have to be approved by Alex.

J N Winkler

I figured a border width control might have to be added either as a mod or as a tag redefinition.  I thought I would ask anyway, just in case there was a built-in border width control I was missing.  I have gone ahead and posted my table without cell borders.

Corco--the table is here.  It was autogenerated from the log files using another batch file.  In principle I could have output the data in a delimited text file (€ being my favorite delimiter because it is guaranteed never to appear in raw data from an American state DOT), imported it into Excel or Access, printed it, used Acrobat to convert the PDF into page images, run another batch file to resample the page images down to the required 800 x 600 frame, uploaded the resampled image files to an image hosting website, scooped up the individual image URLs, and then hoped I posted them in correct order.  But that's a lot of work when the batch file generates accurately tagged (if not particularly elegant) bbCode right out of the box.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

corco

OK, I like your way better

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.