News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

FL 52

Started by Max Rockatansky, January 15, 2019, 09:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I'm presently working on a photo clinch of FL 52.  FL 52 is of particular interest to me given the alignment west of US 41 is the first alignment of US 19 in Florida.  Presently my photo album is from US 19 east to I-75, I "should" have the segment east to US 301 in Dade City.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuc8fMJ

Max Rockatansky

Completed FL 52 east of I-75 to US 98/301 in Dade City earlier today, the photo album in the original post has been updated to reflect this.  Part of my interest in FL 52 as stated above is the original routing of US 19 from US 41 west to Hudson.  I'll touch more on the US 19 alignments in the next couple weeks on a blog post but it can be seen on the 1939 State Highway Map below:

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~258613~5522097:Rand-McNally-Road-map--Florida?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:florida%20road;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=76&trs=79

By 1940 US 19 shifted onto the alignment of FL 50 and CR 595 through Aripeka.  I'm fairly certain that US 19 didn't use the Old West Dixie Highway but made a turn towards the modern alignment heading south to Hudson:

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~281130~5515450:Road-map-of-Florida?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:florida%20road;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=73&trs=79

Sometime between 1940 and 1951 US 19 appears to have taken it's modern alignment, I'm uncertain on the exact year:

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~212025~5500185:Shell-Highway-Map-Southeastern-Sect?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:florida%20highway;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=9&trs=13

roadman65

They are planning later this year to realign SR 52 east ofI-75 to not only bypass St. Antonio but also Dade City as well. The new east end will be at Clinton and US 301 north of US 98 turnoff.

My pet peeve with that road is the factor goes from six to two at SR 589 and they have not done anything at US 41 to remedy the long queue at the signal during evening rush.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on January 17, 2019, 08:49:16 AM
They are planning later this year to realign SR 52 east ofI-75 to not only bypass St. Antonio but also Dade City as well. The new east end will be at Clinton and US 301 north of US 98 turnoff.

My pet peeve with that road is the factor goes from six to two at SR 589 and they have not done anything at US 41 to remedy the long queue at the signal during evening rush.

I'm surprised it's taken this long to happen the corridor east of I-75 to Dade City is surprisingly busy.  Is 52 going to multiplex I-75 to the south or is it going to curve east of it?  Hopefully it ends up a lot closer to the US 98/301 split south of downtown Dade City.

roadman65

Curve east of it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

They want to realign both FL 52 and US 41 in what is known as Gower's Corner as part of the widening of both roads.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 19, 2019, 12:06:24 AM
They want to realign both FL 52 and US 41 in what is known as Gower's Corner as part of the widening of both roads.

Where is FDOT looking to relocate US 41 to?  Really US 41 needs to be at least four lanes all the way north out of Tampa at minimum to Brooksville, those two lane stretches get pretty clogged up on weekdays.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 19, 2019, 07:36:12 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 19, 2019, 12:06:24 AM

Where is FDOT looking to relocate US 41 to?  Really US 41 needs to be at least four lanes all the way north out of Tampa at minimum to Brooksville, those two lane stretches get pretty clogged up on weekdays.
I forget which side, but yes I agree it needs to be no less than four lanes. The current right of way south of FL 52 for the new northbound lanes is mostly on the east side, but the existing road is pretty close to Green Lake, so they might shift the focus of the construction on the west side near there. I know they tore down the Citgo gas station on the northwest corner a while back.

Max Rockatansky

Finished up my blog post on FL 52.  From Hudson to Gower's Corner the current path of FL 52 was once the second (had it wrong above) alignment of US 19.  FL 52 had some early importance before it was a State Road due to the Fivay Mill which was just off Little Road/Pasco Count Route 1.  The current route of FL 52 was part of pre-1945 FL 210 which also had some connection to the FL 50 corridor.  All and all I find FL 52 to be a pretty a cool State Road given some of the unique locales like Fivay, St. Leo, the Brooksville Ridge and Dade City.

https://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2019/02/florida-state-road-52.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.