News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Active Roadways atop of Dams

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 28, 2020, 10:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

WV 93 at Mt. Storm Lake, although I'm surprised that road hasn't been removed since US 48 (Corridor H) now bypasses it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

zzcarp

Dillon Dam Road between Frisco and Dillon, Colorado. It used to be open 24/7, but in the 2010s Denver Water (who owns the reservoir) decided for theater security to close it. An outcry caused them to compromise to allow car traffic during the day and closing gates at night.
So many miles and so many roads

Road Hog

Quote from: MikieTimT on May 29, 2020, 12:13:57 AM
In Arkansas there are many 2-lane state and 1 U.S. highways running across many of the USACE dams,

AR-59 runs across Trimble Lock and Dam (13) between Sebastian and Crawford Counties. Functions as the de-facto I-49 connector to AR-549 running through Chaffee east of Ft. Smith/Barling.

AR-187 runs across Beaver Dam in Carroll County.

AR-178 runs across Bull Shoals Dam between Marion and Baxter Counties.

AR-177 runs across Norfork Dam in Baxter County.

AR-5 runs across Greer's Ferry Dam in Cleburne County. This dam was the last thing that JFK dedicated before his untimely demise.

AR-60 runs across Toad Suck (it's really the name, look it up) Ferry Lock and Dam (8) between Perry and Faulkner Counties.

US-79 runs across Emmett Sanders Lock and Dam (4) in Jefferson County near Pine Bluff.

Incidentally, Missouri and Oklahoma have roads going across some of their USACE dams as well.

Little Rock has a pedestrian/biking bridge that runs across Murray Lock and Dam (7).

Millwood Dam in Southwest Arkansas also has a state highway across it.

Greers Ferry is one of those rare occurrences where ARDOT signs a concurrency throughout. It's actually AR 5/25 and is mainly known as 25. Speed limit used to be 30 across the dam and I was pleased to see earlier this year they hiked it to 45 finally. (Nobody observed the limit either way and nobody enforced it.)

I have a bigger gripe that Little Rock is a control city on the new Heber bypass, but after you get to the top of the mountain Little Rock disappears.

brad2971

SD47 crosses over Big Bend Dam, one of the Pick-Sloan dams on the Missouri River. Plus, one can drive over Gavins Point Dam on a road that connects SD52 with N-121 on the Nebraska side of the dam.

D-Dey65

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 02, 2020, 11:05:02 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on May 29, 2020, 12:08:29 AM
Easy. My preferred route to bypass the predatory screw-the-out-of-stater tolls of Maryland and Delaware: US 1 atop the Conowingo Dam.

Yes, this is one of the few dam/shunpike routes I've taken in my travels. What's interesting (to me, at least), is that I originally planned to shunpike on US-40, on the easy to access route of MD-155 and MD-222. Then I learned that that's tolled as well. But by then, I was so committed to shunpiking that I decided to take the following route, no matter how much extra time it took.

I got groceries in Rising Sun, which I'm sure is something you wanted to know.

Personally, I wouldn't go there to shunpike. I'd just do it for the experience.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: briantroutman on May 29, 2020, 12:08:29 AM
Easy. My preferred route to bypass the predatory screw-the-out-of-stater tolls of Maryland and Delaware: US 1 atop the Conowingo Dam.

And people that have not seen it before are impressed by just how massive the Susquehanna River (and the Conowingo Dam) are.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Road Hog on June 04, 2020, 07:58:10 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on May 29, 2020, 12:13:57 AM
In Arkansas there are many 2-lane state and 1 U.S. highways running across many of the USACE dams,

AR-59 runs across Trimble Lock and Dam (13) between Sebastian and Crawford Counties. Functions as the de-facto I-49 connector to AR-549 running through Chaffee east of Ft. Smith/Barling.

AR-187 runs across Beaver Dam in Carroll County.

AR-178 runs across Bull Shoals Dam between Marion and Baxter Counties.

AR-177 runs across Norfork Dam in Baxter County.

AR-5 runs across Greer's Ferry Dam in Cleburne County. This dam was the last thing that JFK dedicated before his untimely demise.

AR-60 runs across Toad Suck (it's really the name, look it up) Ferry Lock and Dam (8) between Perry and Faulkner Counties.

US-79 runs across Emmett Sanders Lock and Dam (4) in Jefferson County near Pine Bluff.

Incidentally, Missouri and Oklahoma have roads going across some of their USACE dams as well.

Little Rock has a pedestrian/biking bridge that runs across Murray Lock and Dam (7).

Millwood Dam in Southwest Arkansas also has a state highway across it.

Greers Ferry is one of those rare occurrences where ARDOT signs a concurrency throughout. It's actually AR 5/25 and is mainly known as 25. Speed limit used to be 30 across the dam and I was pleased to see earlier this year they hiked it to 45 finally. (Nobody observed the limit either way and nobody enforced it.)

I have a bigger gripe that Little Rock is a control city on the new Heber bypass, but after you get to the top of the mountain Little Rock disappears.

I forgot about the USACE dams in SW Arkansas.  Actually all of them other than the lakes downstream of Lake Ouachita have roads running across them, but Millwood Dam is the only one with a non-local/county road running across it.

TheOneKEA

The Conowingo Dam and US 1 have already been mentioned, but there are a few more such roads in Maryland:

- Prettyboy Dam Road, atop the Prettyboy Dam in northern Baltimore County (N 39.61968 W 76.70744).
- Brighton Dam Road, atop the Brighton Dam, on the Howard County-Montgomery County border (N 39.19299 W 77.00541).

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bdmoss88

jhuntin1

Katavia

NC 73 goes along a levee for the Don T. Howell Reservoir. The dam is about 1000 feet north. NCDOT is planning to build a bridge to the south of the existing causeway/levee road (while still keeping the existing roadway) in order to widen 73 to a 4-lane road as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4374466,-80.7083458,1195m/data=!3m1!1e3
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

rte66man

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 28, 2020, 11:43:24 PM
OK 71 over Eufaula Dam
OK 151 over Keystone Dam

OK 251A over Fort Gibson Dam
OK 100 over Tenkiller Dam

OK 28 over Pensacola Dam. It will be closed soon for repairs.
https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=61681

OK 88 over Oologah Dam
OK 10 over Copan Dam
OK 43 over Sardis Dam
OK 259A over Beavers Bend Dam
OK 77S over Lake Murray Dam
OK 44 over Foss Lake Dam
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

If you expand to look at any active road on a dam, then Oklahoma has too many to list.  It would be easier to list the ones that don't have a road. None of the dams associated with the McClellan-Kerr Navigation System have a road.  Most of the really old dams don't have a road (Lugert, Dripping Springs, Spavinaw).
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Bitmapped

West Virginia:
- WV 93 over Mount Storm Dam (already mentioned)
- WV 129 over Summersville Dam

Ohio:
Many of the Muskingum basin dams have roads:
- OH 212 over Atwood Dam
- CR 10 (and US 22, sort of) over Piedmont Dam
- TR 280 over Tappan Dam
- Glenpark Drive over Bolivar Dam
- OH 715 over Mohawk Dam
- OH 574 over Seneca Dam

- Clarksville Road over Caesar Creek Dam
- US 40 over Englewood Dam
- US 40 over Taylorsville Dam

MikieTimT

Quote from: rte66man on September 09, 2020, 08:44:38 AM
OK 28 over Pensacola Dam. It will be closed soon for repairs.
https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=61681

Boy does the deck ever need replacing on that one.  Definitely can't speed across the dam, though.

triplemultiplex

I feel strongly that this thread should've been called "Dam Roads." :bigass:

Most examples of this in Wisconsin are small impoundments with minor, local roads.  One large example, though is in Oneida County where CTH D rides atop the dam on the Wisconsin River holding back the Rainbow Flowage.
The other large one I can recall is also in Oneida County.  CTH Y crossing the dam for the Willow Flowage; a large reservoir on the Tomahawk River.
A small reservoir, but it is noteworthy because it carries WI 112; a dam on the White River south of Ashland might be (if I've racked my brain sufficiently) the only one in the state to help a numbered highway cross the stream it dams.

"Flowage" is a very Wisconsin term.  It's the same thing as a reservoir; a large lake formed when humans dammed a river.  But you really only see that word here. (Firefox thinks I was trying to spell "stowage".)  We probably have the Wisconsin Valley Improvement Company to thank for that as many of their projects from the 1920's and 30's have lakes that are named flowages.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 30, 2020, 03:33:37 PM
I feel strongly that this thread should've been called "Dam Roads." :bigass:

Reminds me of this.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

6a

Robert Eastman Rd. goes atop the Clarence Brown reservoir dam in Springfield, Ohio. https://goo.gl/maps/7UJ7U7qXVyswBm4r9

FrCorySticha

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

zachary_amaryllis

horsetooth reservoir near fort collins, co has a county road that goes over all the dams... want to say its '23E' but i might be wrong..
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

JayhawkCO

Just found another one when looking for some cool routes to clinch, so apologies for bumping a not too old thread.

NM 539 on Navajo Dam

Chris

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on February 26, 2021, 07:48:32 PM
Just found another one when looking for some cool routes to clinch, so apologies for bumping a not too old thread.

NM 539 on Navajo Dam

Have you done NM-526 at Lake Maloya?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on February 26, 2021, 08:36:36 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on February 26, 2021, 07:48:32 PM

NM 539 on Navajo Dam

Have you done NM-526 at Lake Maloya?

Not yet.  I missed it last time I was down that direction.  Since I'm 95% clinched inn Colorado, I'm going to have to expand my horizons soon.  I love that part of New Mexico.  I was actually looking at some cabins around that neck of the woods earlier today.

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.