News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pike's Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway - Colorado Section

Started by Route66Fan, February 15, 2021, 01:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Route66Fan

I have started working on mapping the Colorado section of the "Pike's Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway" as described in "Volume 7" of the "1919 Official Automobile Blue Book". One thing that I have found out, so far, is that there is several miles of the route, between Burlington, CO & Vona, CO, that no longer exist. The map that I am working on can be found here.

Route66Fan

I've uploaded another map section between Limon, CO & Colorado Springs, CO. This section had even more abandoned sections of the PP-OO, mostly between Simla, CO & Calhan, CO, including an abandoned bridge, bridge abutments & abandoned culverts. The old road closely followed the abandoned Rock Island Line.
Here is some pictures of what I've found on a section of the PP-OO between Simla, CO & Calhan, CO.

I'm not 100% sure about the routing going East out of Colorado Springs, CO, though.

Route66Fan

I just finished mapping the section between Colorado Springs, CO & Divide, CO. I think the map is 97% accurate.

mobilene

Awesome work. The PP-OO is underdocumented. You're helping fix that.
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

zzcarp

I'm curious: why do you believe the route followed Pikes Peak Ave west of downtown Colorado Springs instead of Colorado Avenue? Colorado Avenue is the main drag through Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs, and seems to follow the historic alignment with little to no alterations in right-of-way.
So many miles and so many roads

Route66Fan

Quote from: zzcarp on February 16, 2021, 01:03:59 PM
I'm curious: why do you believe the route followed Pikes Peak Ave west of downtown Colorado Springs instead of Colorado Avenue? Colorado Avenue is the main drag through Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs, and seems to follow the historic alignment with little to no alterations in right-of-way.
That seems to be the way that it went according to the "Official Automobile Blue Book". Pikes Peak Ave might be a later routing.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Route66Fan on February 17, 2021, 04:55:42 AM
That seems to be the way that it went according to the "Official Automobile Blue Book". Pikes Peak Ave might be a later routing.

Here is a 1920 map of Colorado Springs - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f2/d2/32/f2d232208f661fd1e665b737944499a8.jpg

Route66Fan

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 17, 2021, 07:26:53 AM
Quote from: Route66Fan on February 17, 2021, 04:55:42 AM

Here is a 1920 map of Colorado Springs - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f2/d2/32/f2d232208f661fd1e665b737944499a8.jpg
Thank you. I also found that same map & another one in the 1919 Official Blue Book.

Route66Fan

I've updated the routing between Colorado Springs, CO & Divide, CO & have added a section between Divide, CO & Buena Vista, CO. This one was pretty hard to map out as a lot of the route has changed since 1919.

usends

Quote from: Route66Fan on February 17, 2021, 03:13:09 PM
...added a section between Divide, CO & Buena Vista, CO...
Here is a photo of that old abandoned bridge on the segment between Buena Vista and the summit of Trout Creek Pass.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Route66Fan

Quote from: usends on February 17, 2021, 03:31:03 PM
Quote from: Route66Fan on February 17, 2021, 03:13:09 PM
...added a section between Divide, CO & Buena Vista, CO...
Here is a photo of that old abandoned bridge on the segment between Buena Vista and the summit of Trout Creek Pass.
Thanks, I had also found that bridge as well & was about to upload a Street View image & aerial image of it as well.

Route66Fan

I am currently working on a section between Buena Vista, CO to Granite, CO & at one point, a few miles South of Granite, CO, crossed the Arkansas River, on a bridge that is no longer there & then crossed over the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad & ran North between the railroad & a hillside. Some of that road is still there, but is not marked on Google Maps.

Route66Fan

In working on mapping the section between Buena Vista, CO & Glenwood Springs, CO, I think I found a couple of sections where the PP-OO had been rerouted.
Dirt path South of Leadville, CO, on CR 10.

I am also thinking that Rainbow Rd, the U shaped driveway on the far right & the dirt road in between, as seen in the picture below, may have also been part of the PP-OO.

Route66Fan

I've uploaded some other sections of the PP-OO between Buena Vista, CO & Glenwood Springs, CO, however I am not sure if the routing over the Tennessee Pass is correct. I've also made a post here asking for help in figuring out this part here.

Route66Fan

I think that I now got the correct route over the Tennessee Pass.

Route66Fan

A couple more sections between Glenwood Springs, CO & Grand Junction, CO have been uploaded.

Route66Fan

I found what could be a pre 1919 routing of the PP-OO Northwest of Mesa, CO (Indicated by the light blue arrows.).

Route66Fan

I've finally got the section between Grand Junction & Cisco, UT figured & mapped out.

Route66Fan

A section of the Northern routing of the PP-OO, including a spur into Meeker, CO has been uploaded. This section is not referred to as part of the PP-OO in the "1919 Official Automobile Blue Book".

Route66Fan

I've updated thr routing West of Meeker, CO & have added a section of the route between Meeker, CO to Rangely, CO. Due to limitations with how many layers I can add to a map in Google Maps, I'll have to include the section between Rangely, CO to Vernal, UT in the Utah map.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.