News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Illinois Road Videos

Started by Crash_It, October 24, 2021, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 24, 2022, 09:41:25 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 24, 2022, 09:21:30 AM
Wait ... part of Illinois is considered to be in the Ozarks?

Is that some silly government definition like the one that puts Edmonson County, Ky., in Appalachia?

Or parts of Pennsylvania in the Midwest?
A long time ago someone tried telling me that Michigan is part of the Northeast, I said no it's not it's part of the Midwest and they tried telling me I'm wrong lol.

Crash_It

Is that some silly government definition like the one that puts Edmonson County, Ky., in Appalachia?

Yup it's official

https://www.illinoisozarks.com/ozark-tour/

There's also a debate as to whether the Knobstone escarpment in Indiana is actually part of the Appalachians.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on June 24, 2022, 10:44:38 AM

Yup it's official

There's also a debate as to whether the Knobstone escarpment in Indiana is actually part of the Appalachians.

Did Wallethub put that site together?  You sure like to throw out "official"  a lot for things that certainly aren't USGS related content. 

JayhawkCO

Yup it's official

Wikipedia officially says you're wrong.

Flint1979

Yup it's official

That site doesn't prove anything. The Ozarks are in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma. It'd be real nice if you'd stop being so biased toward Illinois and actually open your eyes and realize that there is much more to this country than just Illinois.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 24, 2022, 11:08:38 AM

Yup it's official

That site doesn't prove anything. The Ozarks are in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma. It'd be real nice if you'd stop being so biased toward Illinois and actually open your eyes and realize that there is much more to this country than just Illinois.

And thank god for it.

Max Rockatansky

And the news knows the "Illinois Ozarks"  is just a tourism designation:

https://fox2now.com/news/illinois/do-you-know-about-the-illinois-ozarks-its-not-just-in-missouri-arkansas/

Direct quote:

"Well, the area may not technically be a part of the Ozarks. But, they are a part of the Shawnee Hills. The region is geologically similar to the Ozarks west of the Mississippi River. There is also an unincorporated community in Johnson County at the very southern tip of Illinois named, Ozark."

I think that I was onto something making up the "Illinois Alps"  as a range the other day.  Why don't designate a Illinois Sierra Nevada Mountains and Illinois Rocky Mountains to aim a little "higher."

GaryV

^ or the "Illayaya", capped by Mount Ever Rest.

Max Rockatansky

Come join me and ponder a non-flat Illinois road network:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=31690.0

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 24, 2022, 10:55:17 AM

Yup it's official

Remember that Crash_It hasn't been anywhere.  Arguing with the ignorant just generates pity for the ignorant.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 24, 2022, 09:41:25 AM

Or parts of Pennsylvania in the Midwest?

Probably the same people arguing that Pittsburgh and Buffalo are culturally Midwest while claiming Bismarck and Sioux Falls are not.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on June 24, 2022, 01:16:07 PM

Yup it's official

Remember that Crash_It hasn't been anywhere.  Arguing with the ignorant just generates pity for the ignorant.

Does someone actually pity Crash_It though?

hbelkins

Wait .. the Ozarks extend into Kansas? News to me, unless they're stretching the Ozarks to include the Flint Hills.

Wikipedia isn't an official source of anything.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 24, 2022, 11:14:32 AM

Yup it's official

And thank god for it.
I know right? I couldn't imagine every single inch of this country being like Illinois.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on June 24, 2022, 02:11:09 PM

Wait .. the Ozarks extend into Kansas? News to me, unless they're stretching the Ozarks to include the Flint Hills.

But the article in question does have 85 references, including the USGS. 

Flint1979

The map that is on the wikipedia page shows extreme SE Kansas being part of the Ozarks. Most of the Ozarks are of course in Missouri.

JayhawkCO

And neither is the bullshit Crash_It was sourcing. That was the point.

Crash_It

Yup it's official

What do you mean I haven't been anywhere? I've been to Georgia, Indiana,Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri,Ohio, Tennessee and Wisconsin.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on June 24, 2022, 07:25:48 PM

Yup it's official

What do you mean I haven't been anywhere? I've been to Georgia, Indiana,Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri,Ohio, Tennessee and Wisconsin.

You're also the guy who said that he saw everything he needed to see in Wisconsin on I-90 and I-94.  Statements of the like coupled with a small states visited list tend scream "novice traveler."

Rothman

Yup it's official

A promising amateur?

Your statements exceed your actual experience.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

Yup it's official

Why do you travel IL so extensively rather than going, oh I don't know, west of the Mississippi or east of Kentucky or south of Tennessee?

dlsterner

Yup it's official

It's a start.  Maybe not a whole lot compared to the average AARoads member, but a start nevertheless.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dlsterner on June 24, 2022, 10:37:40 PM

Yup it's official

It's a start.  Maybe not a whole lot compared to the average AARoads member, but a start nevertheless.

The issue isn't that Crash is starting to travel or a novice at it.  The real problem is how he expects to be treated as an expert by default with no real credibility.  Crash also seems to have convinced himself he can somehow convince others that he is an expert on road/travel-something.  This is only worsened when Crash tries to distort information and opinions into what he touts as "fact."

So the question at hand is are we facing someone with a giant ego, someone who believes their own hype or someone just trying to fake it til he makes it?  I doubt you'll get a serious answer from Crash though on whatever it might be.  One thing is clear, this whole holy-Illinois/dash cam-bad driver shenanigans just isn't going to get him the mainstream acceptance he wants.

Flint1979

I haven't entered any new states in over 8 years now but I'm still at 31 states covered plus Washington, DC. With Indiana holding the title of most counties visited.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 24, 2022, 10:56:48 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on June 24, 2022, 10:37:40 PM

Yup it's official

The issue isn't that Crash is starting to travel or a novice at it.  The real problem is how he expects to be treated as an expert by default with no real credibility.  Crash also seems to have convinced himself he can somehow convince others that he is an expert on road/travel-something.  This is only worsened when Crash tries to distort information and opinions into what he touts as "fact."

So the question at hand is are we facing someone with a giant ego, someone who believes their own hype or someone just trying to fake it til he makes it?  I doubt you'll get a serious answer from Crash though on whatever it might be.  One thing is clear, this whole holy-Illinois/dash cam-bad driver shenanigans just isn't going to get him the mainstream acceptance he wants.
Like I said, his statements exceed his experience.  Same thing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.