News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Seemingly excessive number of exits relative to the size of the town they serve

Started by kirbykart, July 23, 2022, 01:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on July 25, 2022, 10:17:39 PM
Three exits makes intuitive sense to me for any town that was bypassed by a freeway:

1st exit: freeway and old route into town diverge
2nd exit: freeway junction with main perpendicular crossroad
3rd exit: freeway and old route into town rejoin
Classic examples of this: Columbus WI, Platteville WI, Oconto WI

Though smaller towns may need only interchanges on the ends (examples Peshtigo WI and Mt. Horeb WI).

DandyDan

MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

US 89

Quote from: webny99 on July 25, 2022, 10:17:39 PM
Three exits makes intuitive sense to me for any town that was bypassed by a freeway:

1st exit: freeway and old route into town diverge
2nd exit: freeway junction with main perpendicular crossroad
3rd exit: freeway and old route into town rejoin

I mean the alternative is to have just two exits, one at either end of the old road. This makes sense especially for cities that didn't really have a main crossroads (Green River UT), or maybe they had one with a highway that only went the other direction (Green River WY) but sometimes the lack of a central interchange is a good head-scratcher (Beaver UT, which has no interchange at SR 21).

hbelkins

My little county seat town (populaton 1,000) has two signed exits on the Mountain Parkway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

FrCorySticha

Wibaux, MT, population less than 600, has two half exits off I-94 as a loop on old US 10, but not marked as a business loop. Instead, both sides are signed for "TO MT 7".

The little town of Cascade, MT, similar population as Wibaux, has two full exits signed for MT 68 (old US 91) along old US 91 I-15.

kirbykart

Quote from: FrCorySticha on July 26, 2022, 12:49:29 PM
The little town of Cascade, MT, similar population as Wibaux, has two full exits signed for MT 68 along old US 91.
Wow. If that isn't excessive, I don't know what is.

FrCorySticha

Quote from: kirbykart on July 26, 2022, 02:19:45 PM
Quote from: FrCorySticha on July 26, 2022, 12:49:29 PM
The little town of Cascade, MT, similar population as Wibaux, has two full exits signed for MT 68 along old US 91.
Wow. If that isn't excessive, I don't know what is.

It is, even if had a brain fart and put down the wrong highway!

Sctvhound

Lumberton, NC. About 20K live in the town, and losing population, but it still gets 4 exits on I-95 and 2 on 74.

Dunn is less than half the population of Lumberton (about 10K), and has a whopping 5 I-95 exits.

SM-G998U

countysigns

Quote from: ran4sh on July 23, 2022, 09:24:38 PM
Columbia SC has "Next 12 Interchanges" signs on I-20. Never mind the size of the city, 12 interchanges seems like a high number of exits for a "next X exits/interchanges" sign regardless.
Toledo, Ohio does one better..."Next 13 exits" sign on I-75 northbound.  https://tinyurl.com/3vpjrbp3

Dirt Roads

Orangeburg, South Carolina (pop 12,700) gets three exits on I-26 and two more on I-95.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.