News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Memphis Road Meet\ checking out the new I-269 April 2019

Started by jpi, January 09, 2019, 12:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here are the dates (all Saturdays) I have in mind for this meet-

April 6
1 (12.5%)
April 13
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: February 08, 2019, 12:10:47 PM

jpi

Just a small update, Steph and I will be in the Memphis area this weekend for a toy show on Saturday and will be doing scouting both after the show and Sunday, I should have a good solid itinerary to post after this weekend
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Over the weekend Steph and I were in the Memphis area and did a preliminary dry run of the tour route. After we have lunch in Bartlett we will take I-40 west through the 240 stack interchange which wrapped up construction last year, follow 40 west to TN 14 Austin Peay hwy and take 14 north to TN 204 north to TN 385, take TN 385 west to the stub end at US 51, there is enough room on either side we can pull off and check it out and traffic is usually very light in this area (this is actually a very rural area of Shelby County) from here we will then follow the full length of TN 385 which turns into I-269 and take this to I-69 and follow I-69 south to US 61 near Tunica, then follow US 61 north to I-55 then take I-55 to the Crump interchange but go straight to the waterfront where we will get awesome views of the river the bridges, I am considering this area for a group photo with the I-40 Mississippi River bridge in the background. Again I am open to any and all suggestions if anyone wants to see anything else along the way, overall the tour should not be much longer then 4 hours and we should have plenty of day light for this too.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

mattpedersen

Is anyone interested in a very early morning side trip to the Kentucky enclave? It's 2h15m away from Memphis.

Alps

Quote from: mattpedersen on March 04, 2019, 05:47:44 PM
Is anyone interested in a very early morning side trip to the Kentucky enclave? It's 2h15m away from Memphis.
Yes, but I won't be at the meet.

signalman

Quote from: Alps on March 05, 2019, 12:06:05 AM
Is anyone interested in a very early morning side trip to the Kentucky enclave? It’s 2h15m away from Memphis.
Yes, but I won't be at the meet.
That makes two of us.  I'd definitely like to check out the Kentucky enclave, but I'll be in northern NJ.  When this meet was first proposed I was very interested and planned on going.  Unfortunately, personal finances dictate otherwise.

jpi

Keep in mind we will be meeting at 11am, probably McAlisters for lunch, I have not finalized it yet but stay tuned ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

MikeTheActuary

If you have time, you could still check out the Big River Crossing (the pedestrian/bike path that resurrected one of the old roadways on the Harahan Bridge).

The east end is spitting difference from the I-55/Riverside/Crump cloverleaf, but the west end - if the river isn't in flood - lets you inspect the old ramps leading up to the Harahan roadways.

East end: https://goo.gl/maps/sRkL37oKLcy
West end: https://goo.gl/maps/YJZ1YF1rrFp

(GSV views mostly not current)

The west end will give you a few options for a photo-op if a skyline or riverscape is not a requirement.

hbelkins

Wonder how much of it will be under water? I'm expecting water levels on the Big Muddy will still be pretty high.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: jpi on March 05, 2019, 08:30:00 AM
Keep in mind we will be meeting at 11am, probably McAlisters for lunch, I have not finalized it yet but stay tuned ;-)

Maybe on Sunday before I head home. Debating taking a extra day and clinching US 79. I've got it west of Memphis (all alignments) but not east
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mattpedersen

I meant on Sunday afterwards. I have a 16:00 flight home. I think it can be squeezed in.

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on March 05, 2019, 04:57:51 PM

Maybe on Sunday before I head home. Debating taking a extra day and clinching US 79. I've got it west of Memphis (all alignments) but not east

Interesting. If I come I'm either going to clinch 79 in Tennessee on the way there, or on the way back.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on March 06, 2019, 11:12:59 AM

Interesting. If I come I'm either going to clinch 79 in Tennessee on the way there, or on the way back.

My plan is to clinch U.S. 79 in Tennessee on the way down. I'll leave home in Michigan probably the Thursday evening before, stay overnight in the Kokomo IN area, and then do the rest of the drive on Friday. I'll take I-65 south to Bowling Green KY, then U.S. 68 in a southwesterly direction to U.S. 79.

Coming home on Sunday I'll just take the fastest route possible which will be I-55 north to I-57 and then to Michigan.
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 06, 2019, 08:45:31 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 06, 2019, 11:12:59 AM

My plan is to clinch U.S. 79 in Tennessee on the way down. I'll leave home in Michigan probably the Thursday evening before, stay overnight in the Kokomo IN area, and then do the rest of the drive on Friday. I'll take I-65 south to Bowling Green KY, then U.S. 68 in a southwesterly direction to U.S. 79.

Coming home on Sunday I'll just take the fastest route possible which will be I-55 north to I-57 and then to Michigan.

You all live way east of me. It's 5 hours for me just to get to the Mississippi River ;)

cjk374

Reservations made. I & possibly my daughter will be there.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jpi

Quote from: cjk374 on March 09, 2019, 09:10:06 PM
Cool, will your wife be with you? My wife will be  ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cjk374

Quote from: jpi on March 11, 2019, 02:03:32 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on March 09, 2019, 09:10:06 PM
Cool, will your wife be with you? My wife will be  ;-)

No not this time. Margie wants to stay home & get caught up on her on-line schooling.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Duke87

Just purchased my plane ticket so I'm now committed.

I'm coming in Thursday afternoon, and flying out Monday morning. The remainder of Thursday+Friday and Sunday will be spent on clinching loops.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US71

Quote from: Duke87 on March 17, 2019, 03:51:08 PM

I'm coming in Thursday afternoon, and flying out Monday morning. The remainder of Thursday+Friday and Sunday will be spent on clinching loops.

You want to be committed? ;)

codyg1985

Which loops are on your agenda besides the Memphis ones?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Duke87

Quote from: codyg1985 on March 17, 2019, 07:25:08 PM

Thursday/Friday will involve a clinch of I-22 and US 72. Also a clinch of I-20 (grabbing the last piece I need between I-59 and US 431).

Sunday will be a bunch of county clinching, majority in Arkansas but also some in NW Tennessee, four in SW Kentucky, and two in the Missouri bootheel.

codyg1985

Quote from: Duke87 on March 17, 2019, 09:19:33 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on March 17, 2019, 07:25:08 PM

Thursday/Friday will involve a clinch of I-22 and US 72. Also a clinch of I-20 (grabbing the last piece I need between I-59 and US 431).

Sunday will be a bunch of county clinching, majority in Arkansas but also some in NW Tennessee, four in SW Kentucky, and two in the Missouri bootheel.

Are you aware of the I-20/59 closure between I-65 and US31/280 in downtown Birmingham?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Duke87

Quote from: codyg1985 on March 17, 2019, 10:55:00 PM
Are you aware of the I-20/59 closure between I-65 and US31/280 in downtown Birmingham?

Quite. My planned route involves looping around I-459 for a clinch of that.

jpi

Done deal, we will meet at McAlisters Deli at 11:00am for lunch, overall the food was good, it is "fast casual" so we would order and pay at the counter then we move some tables together and have lunch and socialize then head out on our tour. Again I am planning on renting a minivan that will seat up to 5 people besides myself and Steph. The address is 8385 Stage Rd Suite 115, Memphis, TN 38133, I will get the Facebook event page updated too.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

dvferyance

What is with creating all these x69's before I-69 reaches it? Why couldn't they just have made it I-255? Same for I-369 and x30 or x49 would have made more sense.

signalman

Quote from: dvferyance on March 28, 2019, 06:08:59 PM
What is with creating all these x69's before I-69 reaches it? Why couldn't they just have made it I-255? Same for I-369 and x30 or x49 would have made more sense.
Just so there's more shields with 69 in them.

In all seriousness, I don't know.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.