News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandwalk

Tolls are literally in the definition of "turnpike." Also, the Ohio Turnpike has been collecting tolls since it opened in 1955.

Taken from Merriam Webster dictionary:
Definition of turnpike
a (1) :  a road (such as an expressway) for the use of which tolls are collected (2) :  a road formerly maintained as a turnpike

mgk920

Quote from: sandwalk on July 10, 2017, 09:25:19 PM
Tolls are literally in the definition of "turnpike." Also, the Ohio Turnpike has been collecting tolls since it opened in 1955.

Definition of turnpike
a (1) :  a road (such as an expressway) for the use of which tolls are collected (2) :  a road formerly maintained as a turnpike

Why 'turnpike'?  In the early years, the toll taker would go out and manually 'turn the pike' to let the traveler pass once his or her toll was paid.

Mike

Roadsguy

Definition of turnpike

But the Connecticut Turnpike and most of the Delaware Turnpike don't have tolls. Yes a turnpike "should" be tolled, but clearly not all are, so a road having "Turnpike" in the name isn't enough of an indication to drivers that a road is tolled. Not to mention the numerous toll roads not named "XYZ Turnpike" that need some standardized toll indicator.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

seicer

And in other countries (notably Mexico and Canada), Turnpike is not used in any sense of a toll road. With the examples above, there are many local roads that have "Turnpike" in the name but have not collected tolls in over one-hundred years.

There is a legal and logical rationale to providing TOLL banners when a road is tolled. It's clear, concise and to the point, unlike tiny logos for roads that do not imply if it's tolled or not. Can you tell, at 65 MPH, if the New York Thruway logo is a toll road or not (where Thruway is not a clear indicator of a tolled facility)? The New Jersey Turnpike logo (where Turnpike is in very tiny lettering)? Pennsylvania Turnpike? Chicago Skyway?

GeekJedi

Definition of turnpike

However, someone who (for example) lives in Wisconsin and has never heard of a turnpike would likely not know of the type of road, nor the definition of "turnpike", regardless of the literal definition. It's one of those words that would literally never come up in everyday conversation. However, "toll" is a pretty universal word used in many different contexts, but always means a fee.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

6a

As there were "turnpikes" there were also "free pikes" - with High Free Pike in Madison County OH remaining as the only existing example I'm aware of that still retains that designation.

Rothman

Quote from: 6a on July 11, 2017, 06:56:24 PM
As there were "turnpikes" there were also "free pikes" - with High Free Pike in Madison County OH remaining as the only existing example I'm aware of that still retains that designation.
...or even "shunpikes."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vtk

Quote from: 6a on July 11, 2017, 06:56:24 PM

Cool, I never knew the etymology of that road. However, it seems that in the early 20th century every road in Madison County was of the form "___ Pike"; roughly half of them have now taken the suffix Road instead.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

plain

There are several "turnpikes" I can think of, especially in Connecticut and Virginia, that are not only toll-free but aren't even freeway.

I definitely like the idea of the MUTCD guidelines requiring the yellow TOLL banners. Pennsylvania is doing it now too and Virginia has them at at least two slip ramp entrances to VA 195. But judging by what I've seen on Street View, the state of Oklahoma needs to get with the program like right nooooowwww
Newark born, Richmond bred

Rothman

A lot of old turnpikes that are now free once had tolls a very long time ago.

It was also not unheard of for a resident along a road to set up their own makeshift toll booths in the 18th and 19th Centuries.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Sykotyk

There was also 'free' Pikes. Notable around Pittsburgh, as the Steubenville Pike (US22) and Washington Pike (US19) were still well known as the actual name of stretches of the road. The Freeway US22 bypassed the old two-lane Steubenville Pike (now called Old Steubenville Pike), and the current freeway is quite regularly referred to as the Steubenville Pike though it's actual name I'm not certain.

Buck87

On the topic of these toll banners, so far I've only seen 2 locations that have them, both along US 20 in district 2. So far none have turned up at the turnpike signs I see frequently in district 3, also on US 20. Anyone noticing them popping up anywhere else?

Also, in a prior post I noted my first time seeing a variable speed limit in an Ohio construction zone (OH 2 bridges over OH 57 in Elyria). Today I saw another one on US 23 in Chillicothe, which  varried between 50 and 60 mph. Not sure how long Ohio has been doing variable speed limits, but I like it.

VS988

7/8

Quote from: Buck87 on July 28, 2017, 11:13:47 PM
On the topic of these toll banners, so far I've only seen 2 locations that have them, both along US 20 in district 2. So far none have turned up at the turnpike signs I see frequently in district 3, also on US 20. Anyone noticing them popping up anywhere else?

Also, in a prior post I noted my first time seeing a variable speed limit in an Ohio construction zone (OH 2 bridges over OH 57 in Elyria). Today I saw another one on US 23 in Chillicothe, which  varried between 50 and 60 mph. Not sure how long Ohio has been doing variable speed limits, but I like it.

VS988

Here's a few photos I took in the Toledo area on July 2nd. I'm not sure how long these have been around.

On I-475 NB

On I-75 NB near the southern end of I-475

Also, this was taken on I-75 in Findlay

route17fan

VS988

There is a construction zone on I-77 south from OH 82 past the Ohio Turnpike with a variable speed limit - and I am told the I-271 express lane extension construction from I-480 south to OH 8 has a variable speed limit as well. :)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

PurdueBill

Quote from: route17fan on July 29, 2017, 06:01:46 AM

VS988

There is a construction zone on I-77 south from OH 82 past the Ohio Turnpike with a variable speed limit - and I am told the I-271 express lane extension construction from I-480 south to OH 8 has a variable speed limit as well. :)

It indeed does, and they have also used the variable signs on US 30 out near Van Wert.  They are all over the state now.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: PurdueBill on July 29, 2017, 11:51:22 AM

VS988

It indeed does, and they have also used the variable signs on US 30 out near Van Wert.  They are all over the state now.

Add I-270 SB between US 62/I-670 and 317 and I-71 NB between OH 303 and I-80
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

amroad17

That mileage sign above--did it replace the one that displayed the following...

I-475      4
     Toledo   14         

Judging by the mileages, that seems to be around the 188 milemarker, just north of Exit 187 Luckey interchange.

Checking googlemaps, I see there was extensive roadwork done on that section of I-75 (Nov 2016) and Ohio DOT probably changed the sign with different points on it.  It does seem a bit strange that US 20 and Detroit was displayed instead of I-475 and Toledo unless a nearby VMS sign displays the distance and time to I-475 and Toledo on it.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

GCrites

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 02, 2017, 10:06:11 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on July 29, 2017, 11:51:22 AM

VS988

Add I-270 SB between US 62/I-670 and 317 and I-71 NB between OH 303 and I-80

Also a project on I-675 at I-70

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Widening Oh 161 (Dublin-Granville Rd) through Linworth (NW Columbus) has been talked about for decades, but the locals living along the road had resisted. Now there are more commercial interests than homeowners along this stretch of road, so the sentiments towards widening have changed. Maybe this will get done in time for the crush of humanity that will be Solar Eclipse 2024.
http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170823/adding-center-turn-lane-on-route-161-on-northwest-side-has-support?rssfeed=true

vtk

Just a center turn lane? That barely counts as a widening!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

ODOT/City of Columbus appear to be going through another round of sign replacements. Exit tabs have been added to Oh 104, between US 33 & I-71 (and a button copy sign at High St appears to be on the chopping block).
315 is getting new overhead signs, with exit tabs, to replace older signs. That said, 315 between the I-70/71 west split and I-670 is going to be an alphabet soup for exit 1 (Town/Rich St, Spring St, 670, Broad St, and the split).

vtk

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 07, 2017, 11:58:26 AM
That said, 315 between the I-70/71 west split and I-670 is going to be an alphabet soup for exit 1 (Town/Rich St, Spring St, 670, Broad St, and the split).

Considering Town/Rich is exit 1A, I think the ramps at the southern terminus are going to remain unnumbered. I do think it's strange that the ramps to 33 and 670 are in the 1* range instead of the 2* range. But I still can't figure out how they get all the way up to 1F without skipping some letters, unless the four ramps to 670 get four distinct designations, which is a dumb idea.

PurdueBill

Quote from: vtk on September 19, 2017, 12:22:49 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 07, 2017, 11:58:26 AM
That said, 315 between the I-70/71 west split and I-670 is going to be an alphabet soup for exit 1 (Town/Rich St, Spring St, 670, Broad St, and the split).

Considering Town/Rich is exit 1A, I think the ramps at the southern terminus are going to remain unnumbered. I do think it's strange that the ramps to 33 and 670 are in the 1* range instead of the 2* range. But I still can't figure out how they get all the way up to 1F without skipping some letters, unless the four ramps to 670 get four distinct designations, which is a dumb idea.

The analog of this interchange up north, where a state route freeway's southern end is at the same interchange where an Interstate duplex breaks up/forms, namely Route 8 in Akron, got Exit 0A-B numbering for the exits at the central interchange a couple years ago long after the other exits on Route 8 got exit numbers.  It seems to be the only Exit 0 in Ohio, with other end-of-route interchanges (e.g., I-271) already being Exit 1.  Why not do the same for 315 as was done with 8 and use Exit 0 for some of the ramps at the 70/71 interchange? 

(If done analogous to Route 8, the movement from 315 south to 71 south would get no exit number, just as 8 to 77 south gets no exit number.  Not what I would have done, but there is still 0A and 0B at least.)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: PurdueBill on September 19, 2017, 01:09:16 AM

The analog of this interchange up north, where a state route freeway's southern end is at the same interchange where an Interstate duplex breaks up/forms, namely Route 8 in Akron, got Exit 0A-B numbering for the exits at the central interchange a couple years ago long after the other exits on Route 8 got exit numbers.  It seems to be the only Exit 0 in Ohio, with other end-of-route interchanges (e.g., I-271) already being Exit 1.  Why not do the same for 315 as was done with 8 and use Exit 0 for some of the ramps at the 70/71 interchange? 

(If done analogous to Route 8, the movement from 315 south to 71 south would get no exit number, just as 8 to 77 south gets no exit number.  Not what I would have done, but there is still 0A and 0B at least.)

South end of Ohio 8 got an exit 0?!? That would be a first for Ohio. Even the I-71/75/US 50 alphabet soup in Cincy is an exit 1.

cl94

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 19, 2017, 06:49:58 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on September 19, 2017, 01:09:16 AM

South end of Ohio 8 got an exit 0?!? That would be a first for Ohio. Even the I-71/75/US 50 alphabet soup in Cincy is an exit 1.

I was going to say, definitely a first. And a few of the 71/75/50 exits are on top of the border, with A/B being roughly 500 feet north of it. I don't even understand why I-71 gets a number from I-271.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.