Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankenroad

The outlet malls at both exit 65 and exit 65 have a mailing address of Jeffersonville (43128).  The one at 69 is also within the village limits of Jeffersonville, the one at 65 is in unincorporated Jefferson Township just outside the village limits of Octa.

I see no problem with referring to the location of the Tanger Outlet Mall as Jeffersonville.

FWIW, the mall at exit 69 is also in the Jeffersonville rate center, but the one at exit 65 is in the Milledgeville rate center.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

74/171FAN

I was actually about to post to the staff forum about this and then saw that it has already been noticed.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

GCrites

I like them separated.

vtk

The Speedway across 435 from Tanger Outlets identifies its location as Octa on its receipts, and the weather forecast displayed at the fuel pumps is for Octa, OH.

If Jeffersonville were big enough to be conveniently accessed from both exits, then I'd be fine with calling the whole vicinity Jeffersonville, but that's not the case.  On the other hand, the old town of Octa isn't particularly close either, and if it hadn't technically grown to the interchange by annexation, I might be arguing to call the junction West Lancaster.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

vtk

If it's technically possible, I would prefer the threads merged and available from both forums.  Failing that, I still assert that dividing the state along DOT district lines and paying attention to culture makes more sense than basing the decision on hydrology basins, the literal name of one forum, and half the literal name of the other forum.

frankenroad

The Speedway is actually within the village limits of Octa, despite having a Jeffersonville mailing address.  So, I think they are OK using either Octa or Jeffersonville on their receipts.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Henry

Quote from: Buck87 on January 18, 2017, 12:23:32 PM
Ha, there could be similar signs for

"You are in Ontario, not Mansfield"
Quote from: vtk on January 18, 2017, 12:01:46 PM
Quote from: Henry on January 18, 2017, 10:22:11 AM
Tell me those are actual signs... (unless you're making them up!) :D
Still, I got a big laugh out of it! :rofl:

That was my creation.  I suggested this to ODOT District 6 via Facebook. The reply was basically "we don't think these are warranted, but we appreciate the initiative".
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

amroad17

That was funny (even at my expense).  I just say Jeffersonville because it is a bigger town than Octa.  People around Cincinnati really wouldn't know where Octa is--even though I do know as I have visited the TA across OH 435 from the outlet mall.  Receipts do use Octa on them.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

Use I-70 as the dividing line between the two Ohio threads.  North of I-70--Midwest/Great Lakes, south of I-70, Ohio Valley.  As far as Columbus is concerned, I would put any item relating to Columbus in Ohio Valley.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

cl94

Quote from: amroad17 on January 19, 2017, 08:00:24 PM
Use I-70 as the dividing line between the two Ohio threads.  North of I-70--Midwest/Great Lakes, south of I-70, Ohio Valley.  As far as Columbus is concerned, I would put any item relating to Columbus in Ohio Valley.

I agree. Culturally, Columbus is more like the Ohio Valley than the industrial Great Lakes region.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buck87

As far as the cultural divide goes, I agree with those who have stated earlier that it falls more or less along the lines of glaciated vs non glaciated Ohio. Basically, where the corn fields give way to foothills, and Columbus is north of that divide.

And it should be noted, when it comes to the history of AAroads, the vast majority of Columbus related topics have been posted in the Midwest Great-Lakes forum, not here in Ohio Valley.

vtk

Quote from: cl94 on January 19, 2017, 08:04:19 PM

I agree. Culturally, Columbus is more like the Ohio Valley than the industrial Great Lakes region.

This Columbusite identifies more with the corn-growing Midwest than the deer-hunting Ohio Valley.

westerninterloper

Quote from: vtk on January 20, 2017, 12:12:32 AM

This Columbusite identifies more with the corn-growing Midwest than the deer-hunting Ohio Valley.

Each of the three C's is a border town - CLE and COLS between the Midwest and Appalachia, CIN between the Midwest and the (Upper) South.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

dvferyance

Quote from: westerninterloper on January 21, 2017, 10:35:58 PM
Quote from: vtk on January 20, 2017, 12:12:32 AM

Each of the three C's is a border town - CLE and COLS between the Midwest and Appalachia, CIN between the Midwest and the (Upper) South.
That's not how I would define it. I don't consider that start of Appalachia Cleveland it doesn't start until more like Youngstown. Same goes for Columbus I would say it starts more like Zanesville about 50 miles east and I certainly don't consider Cincinnati to be the beginning of the south. I would consider the beginning of the south heading down on I-75 to be Berea KY just south of Lexington. So Lexington is the border town not Cincinnati.

Rothman

Pfft.  My cousins in Winchester, KY have the drawl, therefore Lexington is in the South.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Buck87

ODOT has recently completed a corridor enhancement project on US 250 in the Sandusky area, mainly in the commercial strip between Bogart Rd and Perkins Ave. This includes repaving most of the road, adding or improving turn lanes, adding sidewalks, adding new signals, improving intersections and also focused heavily on access management by converting most non signalized driveways to right-in-right-out. This is a heavily used stretch of road by both the local and tourist populations.

Some things I've noticed about the new signage:

- all traffic signals and overhead signage are now on mast arms (which are all a decorative green)
- all signalized intersections now have street name signage (many of which are private drives into parking lots, such as N. and S. Meijer Drive)
- most of these intersections now have "<- west US 250 east ->" signage (an idea I like, but brings up a separate beef of mine that US 250 should be signed as North/South from Sandusky to at least Ashland)
- and my favorite new addition, the turn lane signage approaching the OH 2 interchange includes OH 2 east/west shields to let you know which lane is for which (can be seen in GSV here: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4025426,-82.6582092,3a,66.8y,196.44h,86.95t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAX0y6ALoHm3lkpMW3caAcw!2e0 )

dvferyance

Quote from: Rothman on January 23, 2017, 09:03:32 AM
Pfft.  My cousins in Winchester, KY have the drawl, therefore Lexington is in the South.
It's a border town some southern accents but not exclusively. North of there is the midwest south of there is the south. My grandparents lived in Virginia another border state like Kentucky  and they didn't have a southern accent. Some southern accents but not everyone That's why a border state is called a border state. It's a little of both.

Rothman

I agree that a lot of people in Virginia don't have the drawl.  However, in my experience, even north of Lexington along I-75, you have the drawl being dominant.  Border states are border states because of the history leading up to the Civil War; Kentucky was technically a Southern state that aligned itself with the North (although, in reality, it was probably more of a brother-against-brother state than anywhere else).

I stick by the placement of Kentucky in the South, just like the Census Bureau (East South Central region).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

I found that the drawl in Virginia really depends on location. DC metro and along the I-95 corridor doesn't have it as much as the I-81 corridor. When going to the Birmingham meet, everybody had it as far north as Harrisonburg.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

AlexandriaVA

A good barometer is to see how much of a county has a high % of multigenerational family members, specifically those hailing from the Scot-Irish settlers. DC won't have the accept because of the homogenization of the local dialect due to recurring inflow of people from outside the region (white people at least...local black residents have more of a common linguistic heritage).

hbelkins

I contend that Kentuckians have more of an Appalachian accent than a southern accent. There is a difference. Of course, I think my voice sounds normal, but I'm struck by the accent whenever I hear a referee announce a penalty while watching an SEC football fame (or talk with Cody G.  :-D )

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Buck87

Quote from: hbelkins on January 23, 2017, 05:00:48 PM
I contend that Kentuckians have more of an Appalachian accent than a southern accent. There is a difference. Of course, I think my voice sounds normal, but I'm struck by the accent whenever I hear a referee announce a penalty while watching an SEC football fame (or talk with Cody G.  :-D )

Agreed, the Appalachian accent is definitely different than the deep south accent, and it extends into parts of Ohio as well.

GCrites

If you've got an unskilled labor job in Columbus, you'd better learn how to understand the Appalachian accent very quickly. The reason I say "learn to understand" is that I have worked with people whose accent was so thick that I couldn't understand some things they said initially (even though my mother is from Appalachian Ohio)... and that can be dangerous in that sort of environment. Wherever they were from, it was all the way up the 'holler. These folks have been in Columbus a long time too. You aren't going to lose your Appalachian accent living and working on the South Side. There's a big difference between the way people talk in Monroe County and the Northern Panhandle of WV as compared to SW WV or SE KY. Also you can hear much more Southern influence in the speech patterns of people from East Tennessee.

thenetwork

I'm old enough to remember US-250 being just a 2-lane road from the Turnpike to Bogart Road.  Bumper-to-bumper Cedar Point traffic in the morning and signs for The Blue Hole which damn near seemed like every hundred feet.

Revive 755

Quote from: Buck87 on January 23, 2017, 12:51:58 PM
ODOT has recently completed a corridor enhancement project on US 250 in the Sandusky area, mainly in the commercial strip between Bogart Rd and Perkins Ave. This includes repaving most of the road, adding or improving turn lanes, adding sidewalks, adding new signals, improving intersections and also focused heavily on access management by converting most non signalized driveways to right-in-right-out. This is a heavily used stretch of road by both the local and tourist populations.

Some things I've noticed about the new signage:

- all traffic signals and overhead signage are now on mast arms (which are all a decorative green)

From all of the doghouses, I take it Ohio is not a fan of flashing yellow arrows?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.