Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ohio  (Read 30858 times)

vtk

• she pronouns please

• Last Login: May 27, 2021, 09:44:49 PM
    • vid the kid . info
Re: Ohio
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2017, 12:12:32 AM »

Use I-70 as the dividing line between the two Ohio threads.  North of I-70--Midwest/Great Lakes, south of I-70, Ohio Valley.  As far as Columbus is concerned, I would put any item relating to Columbus in Ohio Valley.

I agree. Culturally, Columbus is more like the Ohio Valley than the industrial Great Lakes region.

This Columbusite identifies more with the corn-growing Midwest than the deer-hunting Ohio Valley.
Look, over by the restrooms! It's a girl! It's a boy! No, it's Captain Enby!

…Do you think they're trying to decide which one to use?

westerninterloper

• Last Login: June 20, 2021, 01:38:39 AM
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2017, 10:35:58 PM »

Use I-70 as the dividing line between the two Ohio threads.  North of I-70--Midwest/Great Lakes, south of I-70, Ohio Valley.  As far as Columbus is concerned, I would put any item relating to Columbus in Ohio Valley.

I agree. Culturally, Columbus is more like the Ohio Valley than the industrial Great Lakes region.

This Columbusite identifies more with the corn-growing Midwest than the deer-hunting Ohio Valley.

Each of the three C's is a border town - CLE and COLS between the Midwest and Appalachia, CIN between the Midwest and the (Upper) South.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

dvferyance

• Last Login: June 20, 2021, 03:21:55 PM
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2017, 03:21:21 PM »

Each of the three C's is a border town - CLE and COLS between the Midwest and Appalachia, CIN between the Midwest and the (Upper) South.
That's not how I would define it. I don't consider that start of Appalachia Cleveland it doesn't start until more like Youngstown. Same goes for Columbus I would say it starts more like Zanesville about 50 miles east and I certainly don't consider Cincinnati to be the beginning of the south. I would consider the beginning of the south heading down on I-75 to be Berea KY just south of Lexington. So Lexington is the border town not Cincinnati.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 01:48:35 PM by dvferyance »

Rothman

• Last Login: June 22, 2021, 11:09:28 PM
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2017, 09:03:32 AM »

Pfft.  My cousins in Winchester, KY have the drawl, therefore Lexington is in the South.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dvferyance

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2017, 01:14:38 PM »

Pfft.  My cousins in Winchester, KY have the drawl, therefore Lexington is in the South.
It's a border town some southern accents but not exclusively. North of there is the midwest south of there is the south. My grandparents lived in Virginia another border state like Kentucky  and they didn't have a southern accent. Some southern accents but not everyone That's why a border state is called a border state. It's a little of both.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 01:46:46 PM by dvferyance »

Rothman

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2017, 01:20:53 PM »

I agree that a lot of people in Virginia don't have the drawl.  However, in my experience, even north of Lexington along I-75, you have the drawl being dominant.  Border states are border states because of the history leading up to the Civil War; Kentucky was technically a Southern state that aligned itself with the North (although, in reality, it was probably more of a brother-against-brother state than anywhere else).

I stick by the placement of Kentucky in the South, just like the Census Bureau (East South Central region).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

• Trust me, I'm a transportation engineer

• Last Login: Today at 12:09:16 AM
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2017, 02:09:54 PM »

I found that the drawl in Virginia really depends on location. DC metro and along the I-95 corridor doesn't have it as much as the I-81 corridor. When going to the Birmingham meet, everybody had it as far north as Harrisonburg.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

AlexandriaVA

• Last Login: June 19, 2021, 09:11:50 PM
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2017, 03:04:56 PM »

A good barometer is to see how much of a county has a high % of multigenerational family members, specifically those hailing from the Scot-Irish settlers. DC won't have the accept because of the homogenization of the local dialect due to recurring inflow of people from outside the region (white people at least...local black residents have more of a common linguistic heritage).

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: June 22, 2021, 07:14:59 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2017, 05:00:48 PM »

I contend that Kentuckians have more of an Appalachian accent than a southern accent. There is a difference. Of course, I think my voice sounds normal, but I'm struck by the accent whenever I hear a referee announce a penalty while watching an SEC football fame (or talk with Cody G.  :-D )

I identify as vaccinated.

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: June 14, 2021, 06:52:52 AM
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2017, 06:37:51 PM »

I contend that Kentuckians have more of an Appalachian accent than a southern accent. There is a difference. Of course, I think my voice sounds normal, but I'm struck by the accent whenever I hear a referee announce a penalty while watching an SEC football fame (or talk with Cody G.  :-D )

Agreed, the Appalachian accent is definitely different than the deep south accent, and it extends into parts of Ohio as well.

GCrites80s

• Last Login: June 22, 2021, 10:22:16 PM
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2017, 08:46:42 PM »

If you've got an unskilled labor job in Columbus, you'd better learn how to understand the Appalachian accent very quickly. The reason I say "learn to understand" is that I have worked with people whose accent was so thick that I couldn't understand some things they said initially (even though my mother is from Appalachian Ohio)... and that can be dangerous in that sort of environment. Wherever they were from, it was all the way up the 'holler. These folks have been in Columbus a long time too. You aren't going to lose your Appalachian accent living and working on the South Side. There's a big difference between the way people talk in Monroe County and the Northern Panhandle of WV as compared to SW WV or SE KY. Also you can hear much more Southern influence in the speech patterns of people from East Tennessee.

Rothman

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2017, 12:18:21 PM »

Agreed, the Appalachian accent is definitely different than the deep south accent, and it extends into parts of Ohio as well.
Thirded.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2017, 01:48:49 PM »

If you've got an unskilled labor job in Columbus, you'd better learn how to understand the Appalachian accent very quickly. The reason I say "learn to understand" is that I have worked with people whose accent was so thick that I couldn't understand some things they said initially (even though my mother is from Appalachian Ohio)... and that can be dangerous in that sort of environment. Wherever they were from, it was all the way up the 'holler. These folks have been in Columbus a long time too. You aren't going to lose your Appalachian accent living and working on the South Side. There's a big difference between the way people talk in Monroe County and the Northern Panhandle of WV as compared to SW WV or SE KY. Also you can hear much more Southern influence in the speech patterns of people from East Tennessee.

My wife (native of the Dayton, Ohio area; although her parents were both from our hometown) and I both laugh whenever we're watching "Moonshiners" and see the subtitles. We understand what they're saying perfectly, even ol' Jim Tom.

seicer

• Last Login: June 22, 2021, 03:52:49 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2017, 02:35:09 PM »

Major change coming to Reagan/Montgomery exit
Map: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=39.22265,-84.35809&z=16&t=H

The stub end of OH 126 in Montgomery, once part of a freeway that was to extend further east, will be reconfigured into a roundabout. It will serve as an entrance to a major new development near downtown.

frankenroad

• Last Login: June 22, 2021, 04:26:58 PM
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2017, 04:25:45 PM »

Major change coming to Reagan/Montgomery exit
Map: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=39.22265,-84.35809&z=16&t=H

The stub end of OH 126 in Montgomery, once part of a freeway that was to extend further east, will be reconfigured into a roundabout. It will serve as an entrance to a major new development near downtown.

I saw this a couple weeks ago....I'll be curious to see how traffic will be maintained during construction.  It's an unusual change is it's going from grade-separated to at-grade.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2017, 04:35:05 PM »

What's traffic typically like through there? I've been through that interchange a few times as a passenger while visiting a friend who was living in Remington at the time, though that's been nearly 10 years ago and I don't remember much about the traffic flow. I do recall thinking that was a weird place for the Ronald Reagan to come to an abrupt end....too bad they were never able to finish it all the way east to I-275. 

frankenroad

• Last Login: June 22, 2021, 04:26:58 PM
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2017, 04:44:13 PM »

Never got finished because of NIMBYism.....the area it would have gone through is very exclusive (one of the highest income ZIP codes in the state).   I always thought that they could have made a nice parkway (no trucks) to extend the highway to Wards Corner Rd, but I do not know if that option was ever on the table.

As far as traffic, I do not go through there often, and when I do, it's not usually rush hour.  Traffic on Montgomery Road just north of this interchange gets bad during both AM and PM rushes.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

vtk

• she pronouns please

• Last Login: May 27, 2021, 09:44:49 PM
    • vid the kid . info
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2017, 10:58:02 PM »

A few weeks ago, I was northbound on I-71 coming out of Cincinnati towards the end of the evening rush.  I stopped at the Arby's on Montgomery Rd, and while I was in there, there must have been some kind of accident on 71.  Traffic on the freeway was completely stopped, and a police car blocked the northbound entrance ramp.  So I took Montgomery Rd to the Reagan back to 71.  Traffic on this alternate route was moving along just fine, somehow.
Look, over by the restrooms! It's a girl! It's a boy! No, it's Captain Enby!

…Do you think they're trying to decide which one to use?

JMoses24

• Last Login: June 21, 2021, 05:24:46 PM
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2017, 12:36:12 AM »

Surprisingly a general thread for Ohio-related news hasn't been started, so here it is.
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D08/Pages/I-71-MLK-Interchange-Project-Info.aspx
The official MLK Drive Project page from ODOT has a nice timeline for progress on the interchange. I couldn't find any newer information about the project. Anyone have new information on the project's progress?

The timeline here has not been updated in a couple years, but I think it is mostly still accurate - they do periodically add notifications when there are lane closings (as of today, the latest one is dated 12/19/16.)

My personal observations are that the ramp from MLK to northbound 71 is very close to opening.   I understand that when it is opened, the McMillan on-ramp is going to be shut down for a time for re-vamping.  I would expect this in the March-April 17 time frame.  It would also appear that the Taft Rd exit will have to be closed at least for a weekend if not longer when the new southbound exit ramps for MLK and Taft have the final touches put on them.  They may choose to do this when UC is not in session.   I would assume that the onramp from MLK to southbound 71 would open around the same time.   I don't know if the plan is to open all the ramps simultaneously or not.

I assume that MLK will be Exit 4 - can anyone confirm that?

FWIW, UC's Spring Break is March 13-19. If they're going to time it to coincide with UC being off, that's when.

That, or after final exams April 22-27.

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2017, 11:39:48 AM »

The past couple of times I've driven through Circleville I've noticed major earthwork going on in the field east of US 23 and south of Pittsburgh Rd and wondered what was going on. After looking into it I've found that there is a new plant being built by an Italian toilet paper/facial tissue/paper towels company on a 280 acre plot: http://www.sofidel.com/en/news-items/groundbreaking-of-the-new-plant-in-circleville

Hopefully the entrance(s) to this plant will connect to Pittsburgh Rd and not directly to US 23, which would make the most sense as Pittsburgh Rd already serves as the connection to 23 for several other plants and has a traffic light.

And as a side note, there is also a new Love's truck stop going up in the immediate SE corner of 23 & Pittsburgh Rd, across from the existing Pilot.

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: June 21, 2021, 10:06:53 PM
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2017, 04:17:14 PM »

One Ohio project that has interested me has been the Opportunity Corridor off the end of Interstate 490 in Cleveland. Would anyone like to comment on that project?

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »

One Ohio project that has interested me has been the Opportunity Corridor off the end of Interstate 490 in Cleveland. Would anyone like to comment on that project?

There is a thread for it here in the Midwest Great Lakes forum (although it hasn't been commented on since 2014):
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=12544.msg303570#msg303570

dvferyance

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2017, 03:13:59 PM »

It all varies where you are. I do associate SE Kentucky with the south no question it's culturally southern but the areas near Louisville and Cincinnati are different they are more connected with the midwest.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2017, 03:35:10 PM »

It all varies where you are. I do associate SE Kentucky with the south no question it's culturally southern but the areas near Louisville and Cincinnati are different they are more connected with the midwest.

Yet I get the impression that those in Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties have the attitude of, "You're in the south now!"

Or "Y'all are in the south, now," if you prefer.  :-D

dvferyance

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2017, 05:05:50 PM »

Yet I get the impression that those in Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties have the attitude of, "You're in the south now!"

Or "Y'all are in the south, now," if you prefer.  :-D
I just think northern Kentucky is still too far north to be considered the south. Let's face it Ohio is just to the north which borders Lake Erie which also borders Canada. Even southern Kentucky feels northern when your coming up from Florida/Georgia although I will still say it's southern.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 01:51:06 PM by dvferyance »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.