News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

vtk

Yeah, and grading for the old ramps in the south half of the old interchange is still visible in-person.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

dvferyance

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 07, 2017, 09:19:54 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 02, 2017, 03:35:10 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on March 02, 2017, 03:13:59 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 23, 2017, 05:00:48 PM
I contend that Kentuckians have more of an Appalachian accent than a southern accent. There is a difference. Of course, I think my voice sounds normal, but I'm struck by the accent whenever I hear a referee announce a penalty while watching an SEC football fame (or talk with Cody G.  :-D )
It all varies where you are. I do associate SE Kentucky with the south no question it's culturally southern but the areas near Louisville and Cincinnati are different they are more connected with the midwest.

Yet I get the impression that those in Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties have the attitude of, "You're in the south now!"

Or "Y'all are in the south, now," if you prefer.  :-D

Florence, Y'all
That is a misspelling it supposed to say Florence Mall.

Buck87

Quote from: dvferyance on March 21, 2018, 07:22:11 PM
Florence, Y'all

Not a misspelling, but rather a deliberate change. Florence was told that their water tower advertisement for the mall was too high to comply with state law, so they made the minor changes to convert "MALL" to "Y'ALL" because it was cheaper than painting over the whole word. 

hbelkins

Quote from: Buck87 on March 21, 2018, 08:07:12 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on March 21, 2018, 07:22:11 PM
Florence, Y'all

Not a misspelling, but rather a deliberate change. Florence was told that their water tower advertisement for the mall was too high to comply with state law, so they made the minor changes to convert "MALL" to "Y'ALL" because it was cheaper than painting over the whole word.

No, not really. The Florence Mall water tower predated the mall by many years. The reason they changed it from Mall to Y'all was because they were told they could not advertise something that wasn't in existence yet. I remember when the tower said "Mall" and I remember the story when it changed to "Y'all."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ftballfan

The last few weeks, I've been in Ohio three separate times, and here are some of my thoughts:
1. I-75 between Dayton and Cincinnati should be 70 mph. On a related note, that 55 stretch in Dayton is way too long (most of that could be 65 or even 70)
2. Many state highways (including US-250 between Ashland and Norwalk) have little to no shoulders. At least US-68 between Springfield and Findlay does have decent shoulders.
3. There are A LOT of concurrencies, especially in/near cities.
4. OH 15 between Findlay and Carey should be US-23.
5. Many county roads are barely wide enough for two cars to pass each other. I noticed that when I had to detour around a US-68 closure south of Bellefontaine.
6. Whether a non-Interstate has exit numbers depends on the area of the state.

silverback1065

is ohio interested in ever connecting 71 and 75 north of colombus? 

Sykotyk

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 28, 2018, 11:15:36 PM

You mean US33 or US23/OH15?

US 33 is probably a non-starter. The talk was always completing 23, but there's so many places to do major work it just won't happen.

It would be nice if US33 had at least a Super 2 connection to avoid some of the traffic right by I-75.

LM117

I-73 was supposed to have done that by roughly following the US-23 corridor and linking with I-75 near Findlay, which would've given Columbus an interstate connection to Toledo and Detroit, but Ohio killed the idea years ago.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sparker

Quote from: LM117 on April 29, 2018, 02:01:44 PM

I-73 was supposed to have done that by roughly following the US-23 corridor and linking with I-75 near Findlay, which would've given Columbus an interstate connection to Toledo and Detroit, but Ohio killed the idea years ago.

Part of the problem with this routing was that in the late '90's planners originally wanted to plant a corridor up either the US 23 or OH 199 corridors and connect that route with I-280 (which would presumably be replaced).  Since it would have required the taking of valuable farmland, residents and interests in the Fostoria area let ODOT know in uncertain terms that such an Interstate-grade facility would face serious political opposition.  That, and a lack of consensus regarding plans to effect an interchange with I-71 north of Columbus, effectively doomed this corridor, despite much of the alignment already deployed as expressway.  ODOT lost interest in such a project back in the early 2000's and it's likely not to be revived -- even with a revised alignment along OH 15 and a multiplex with I-75 north of Findlay -- any time soon.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: sparker on April 29, 2018, 08:44:09 PM
Quote from: LM117 on April 29, 2018, 02:01:44 PM

Part of the problem with this routing was that in the late '90's planners originally wanted to plant a corridor up either the US 23 or OH 199 corridors and connect that route with I-280 (which would presumably be replaced).  Since it would have required the taking of valuable farmland, residents and interests in the Fostoria area let ODOT know in uncertain terms that such an Interstate-grade facility would face serious political opposition.  That, and a lack of consensus regarding plans to effect an interchange with I-71 north of Columbus, effectively doomed this corridor, despite much of the alignment already deployed as expressway.  ODOT lost interest in such a project back in the early 2000's and it's likely not to be revived -- even with a revised alignment along OH 15 and a multiplex with I-75 north of Findlay -- any time soon.

ODOT, sitting funding issues, kicked I-73 to the Turnpike Commission in the early 90s. Otherwise, everyone thought it was great idea, long as someone other them, had to sacrifice for I-73

seicer

And the improvements of US 23 north of I-270 renders it effectively dead as an interstate connection until well further north towards Delaware.

vtk

I've never understood the term "valuable farmland". There's millions of acres of it. We're using less of it than we were a century ago. And low-density developments cost far more farmland than new highways statewide.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

seicer

Not all farmland is the same. A lot of the farmland in Ohio is glaciated and ones that are have a high lime content are very valuable and irreplaceable. For that reason, many states and regions have farmland or land trusts so that it's protected from development (e.g. purchase of development right programs). And while highways don't consume that much land, they enable the type of developments that can consume farmland further away from the city.

Buck87

Some welcome changes have been made to the speed limit on US 20 in a couple north central Ohio towns, and I've heard it was the state overriding what the municipalities had set.

In Clyde, US 20 used to have a ridiculous 35 mph zone in a grass median section on the east side of town from OH 101 out to CR 260. I always thought it should at least 45 through there, so I'm pretty pleased to see that it is now 50 mph. Also, the rest of the 35 mph zone through town, which I thought was perfectly acceptable, has been somewhat surprisingly bumped up to 40 mph. So now the speed limit sequence for through traffic going through Clyde is 60-50-40-50-60, which is pretty nice.

In Monroeville, which is known for being a speed trap, the sequence used to be 60-50-35-25-35-50-60. However, the former 50 mph zone west of OH 99 has been changed to 55, and the area between the Huron River and the east edge of town that used to have a short 35 mph zone followed by a short 50 mph has been combined to form one 45 mph zone, with eastbound traffic jumping up to 60 a few tenths of a mile sooner than before. So now W-E it's 60-55-35-25-45-60.

So far no changes have been made in Bellevue, though the Clyde and Monroeville changes happened months apart, so perhaps Bellevue could be next. The thing I expect to see changed is the 60 mph zone dropping directly to 35 on the east side of town, which occurs about halfway between OH 113 and Prairie Rd. I think there should be a 45 mph buffer zone in there.

ysuindy

I-680 northbound through Youngstown closed for bridge rehabilitation.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/jul/09/no-major-problems-reported-first-part-i-680-projec/

This is the oldest section of 680 in Youngstown.  It is also the section that is the easiest to close due to the detour options available.  To me the detour is East River Crossing to Madison Avenue Expressway to West River Crossing.  :)

6a

The crew working on SR 309 in Marion made an interesting find:

seicer

Was it just buried in the dirt??

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: seicer on August 11, 2018, 02:22:50 PM
Was it just buried in the dirt??
From ODOT District's tweet (on the find)...
QuoteMarion Co: You never know what you will find. The contractor on the 309 project found this old sign buried under the road. We're guessing since Rt. 309 used to be Route 30 back in the day, that sign has been there for decades.
So your guess is good as mine.

amroad17

Yes, OH 309 was US 30S until November 1973.  I wonder if there are any more "lost" signs?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

seicer

Had to go to Cleveland over the weekend and was able to see significant progress with the express lanes being added along I-271 between Northfield and Bedford Heights. The new ramps at the south junction of I-271/480 seem to be well underway, and the new concrete express lanes are being poured. I-271 between the two legs of I-480 is being widened to six lanes.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

As one of the stops for NE Ohio Roadmeet (in 30 days!)
I get to attempt to have everyone imagine a new bridge over the Grand River for Vrooman Rd
http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20180828/vrooman-road-bridge-work-to-begin-in-september
ODOT Page - http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D12/Deputy%20Director/News/Pages/Construction-Begins-on-Vrooman-Road-Bridge.aspx

We will see the "shrunken" truss bridge, and hopefully enough foliage will be down to easily locate the retaining wall for (now "old") Vrooman Rd.

ysuindy

ODOT has blocked crossover traffic on two Wyandot County roads across US 23/30 outside of Upper Sandusky.

The story indicates they are studying complete elimination of access for these roads.

As of now you can make right turns off of and on to 23/30.

I drove through this past weekend and right now there are orange barrels on the crossovers and in the left turn lanes leading to them.

There were the only two crossovers on the section of road where 23 and 30 run concurrently around Upper.

Bitmapped

Quote from: ysuindy on September 05, 2018, 02:47:54 PM
ODOT has blocked crossover traffic on two Wyandot County roads across US 23/30 outside of Upper Sandusky.

The story indicates they are studying complete elimination of access for these roads.

As of now you can make right turns off of and on to 23/30.

I drove through this past weekend and right now there are orange barrels on the crossovers and in the left turn lanes leading to them.

There were the only two crossovers on the section of road where 23 and 30 run concurrently around Upper.

ODOT has really been slow to control access around the Upper Sandusky bypass. It took them a long time to build a complete interchange at SR 53 and to close the adjacent old SR 67 intersection. The other intersections have decent access nearby interchange and should be RIRO if not outright eliminated.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Roads & Bridges (trade) magazine let ODOT describe their new variable speed limit system that will be in use on I-90 in Lake County.
https://www.roadsbridges.com/lake-effect

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.