News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: rawmustard on June 12, 2012, 03:17:07 PM
Quote from: BigMattFromTexas on June 12, 2012, 02:44:19 PM
Kings won.. Yawn.. Maybe next year a real team will win.. Ha
BigMatt

If beating the 1, 2, and 3 seeds in their conference in the same postseason (convincingly, I might add) doesn't make them a real team, I don't know what does.
They didn't get the chance to beat the 1 seed in the other conference. Duh.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: BigMattFromTexas on June 12, 2012, 02:44:19 PM
Kings won.. Yawn.. Maybe next year a real team will win.. Ha
BigMatt
Go Blue Jackets then :bigass:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

BigMattFromTexas

If beating the 1, 2, and 3 seeds in their conference in the same postseason (convincingly, I might add) doesn't make them a real team, I don't know what does.
Their good, I just don't consider Los Angeles to be a hockey city.. Unless it's the Stars (:D) I would prefer the Eastern Conference to keep the cup.. Preferably the Pens!
BigMatt

Brandon

Quote from: BigMattFromTexas on June 15, 2012, 01:27:53 PM
Their good, I just don't consider Los Angeles to be a hockey city.. Unless it's the Stars (:D) I would prefer the Eastern Conference to keep the cup.. Preferably the Pens!
BigMatt

The Pens don't deserve another cup, and the EC can feck off.  :thumbdown:

BTW, Crosby sucks.  GO WINGS!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Stephane Dumas

The St. Louis Blues are still part of the "no cup win since '67 club" (we could also include the Leafs who didn't won since '67") http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2012/6/11/3079649/los-angeles-kings-win-2012-stanley-cup
Edit: There was also the former Golden Seals/Oakland Seals who moved to Cleveland briefly as the Barons and amalgated with the Minessota North Stars before spinned-off for the creation of the San Jose Sharks and the Stars moved to Dallas.

Let's also include the 1970s expansions teams Buffalo Sabres, Vancouver Canucks, Washington Capitals who still wait their 1st championship.

Roadmaestro95

Congrats Kings...next year will be the Rangers year. Enough said.
Hope everyone is safe!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 16, 2012, 10:17:09 AM

Edit: There was also the former Golden Seals/Oakland Seals who moved to Cleveland briefly as the Barons and amalgated with the Minessota North Stars before spinned-off for the creation of the San Jose Sharks and the Stars moved to Dallas.

Care to explain how San Jose was spun off from the North Stars?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Brandon

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 18, 2012, 10:02:31 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 16, 2012, 10:17:09 AM

Care to explain how San Jose was spun off from the North Stars?

IIRC, the Sharks were an expansion team.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

CanesFan27

The Gund Family had owned the Cleveland Barons - and prior to that the Seals.  When they merged with the North Stars in 78 - the Gunds took over majority ownership of the Stars.  In the late 80s, the Gunds wanted to move the North Stars to the Bay Area.  The league decided to offer the Gunds an 'expansion' team.  The Stars, fresh off a 4th place finish - I think they had 68 points that year - in the Norris Division and a lucky playoff run that took them to the Stanley Cup finals, were split up.  The Stars and the Sharks took part in the 1991 expansion draft.

rickmastfan67

So, anybody going to the Draft this year here in Pittsburgh?  I got lucky and scored a ticket for Day #2 myself.

CanesFan27

Worked the 1997 Draft in Pittsburgh - Met a lot of coaches and future stars.  Went to the draft here in Raleigh in 2004.

PAHighways

I have to work, and will just go to NHL.com to see who the Pens pick or watch the news when I get home.

Stephane Dumas

Looks like the NHL might get another lock-out http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403677

One blogger suggests to watch minor leagues like the AHL.
http://hockey-blog-in-canada.blogspot.ca/2012/08/if-theres-no-nhl-catch-ahl.html

grammar

Stephane Dumas

NYYPhil777

First it was the NFL, then it was the NBA, and now another NHL lockout possibility. I don't blame the players and the fans, I blame the commissioner.
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

Alps

Quote from: NYYPhil777 on September 15, 2012, 02:53:39 AM
First it was the NFL, then it was the NBA, and now another NHL lockout possibility. I don't blame the players and the fans, I blame the commissioner.
Blame the owners. They typically are a lot less willing to budge, not in the least because they have the money to weather the storm.

NYYPhil777

Quote from: Steve on September 15, 2012, 05:37:46 AM
Blame the owners. They typically are a lot less willing to budge, not in the least because they have the money to weather the storm.
I'll agree on that for the NBA and NHL, but not MLB and NFL. Selig and Goodell have two things in common and that is to try to make the game less competitive. And they're not commissioners for the fans. That's probably why college football is now getting more viewers than NFL, in addition to college football viewers' huge loyalties for their alma mater.
(from Blazing Saddles)

-NYYPhil777

Alps

Quote from: NYYPhil777 on September 15, 2012, 09:12:51 AM
Quote from: Steve on September 15, 2012, 05:37:46 AM
I'll agree on that for the NBA and NHL, but not MLB and NFL. Selig and Goodell have two things in common and that is to try to make the game less competitive. And they're not commissioners for the fans. That's probably why college football is now getting more viewers than NFL, in addition to college football viewers' huge loyalties for their alma mater.
Yeah, I was referring specifically to the NHL with my post.

Stephane Dumas

AEG put the LA Kings and the LA Galaxy (MLS) for sale. Rumors mentionned they could get a stake in a future NFL team in LA.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8397131/anschutz-entertainment-group-owner-los-angeles-kings-staples-center-los-angeles-galaxy-sale

NYYPhil777

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 23, 2012, 10:10:09 AM
AEG put the LA Kings and the LA Galaxy (MLS) for sale. Rumors mentionned they could get a stake in a future NFL team in LA.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8397131/anschutz-entertainment-group-owner-los-angeles-kings-staples-center-los-angeles-galaxy-sale
And the Kings won the Stanley Cup this year... is it me, or are more and more corporations getting greedy and stupid every day of the year?
(from Blazing Saddles)

-NYYPhil777

Desert Man

Unfortunately, the NHL has a lockout (just when I changed my Ducks logo) to kept them off the ice. I hope the NHL lockout ends soon, because the longer the season is postponed, the more disinterested I become of ice hockey.

However, inline hockey is around and in Sou. Cal. the South (Orange) County Bulls and Anaheim Bullfrogs promote the sport regardless of what surface they use.

I remember the RHI of the 1990s to have inline hockey during the summer months.

RHI team logos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLqHdlDPSbA&feature=related

The storied Anaheim Bullfrogs helped bring hockey-fever...on skates to the Sou Cal sports market.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWf4XzBadgg&feature=related

Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

NYYPhil777

The NHL season this year will be in real trouble if the NHL has to cancel the Winter Classic... :angry:
(from Blazing Saddles)

-NYYPhil777

Stephane Dumas

The way then these "clowns" (NHL's commisionner Gary Bettman and NHLPA's president Donald Fehr) act, sometimes I wish then some NHL teams decide to left the NHL to create their own league.

Here one editorial toon who said 1000 words. ;)  Picture from a French site http://ygreck.typepad.com/ygreck/2012/11/lock-out.html

ftballfan

Gary Bettman has cancelled all NHL games through January 14 and there is a good chance the next cancellation will be the rest of the season. Is it time to give up on the NHL, not just for this year, but for good? There is a decent chance this lockout lasts longer than the last one which didn't end until a couple of months before the 2005-06 season started.

texaskdog

It's not a strong enough league to get away with it.  I imagine it'll be a 16 team league before long.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.