News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadmaestro95

Quote from: epzik8 on November 02, 2016, 10:18:06 AM
I'm loving the season so far. How about that rookie Auston Matthews from Toronto. And I've been enjoying my Capitals' Canadian road trip. I watched them play the Oilers, Flames and Canucks.
Was a shame the Caps didn't sweep it ;)
Hope everyone is safe!

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

I was living in the Triangle (attending law school) when the Whalers moved to North Carolina. It was the second local stab at an NHL team–a year or so earlier, there had been an effort to enlist Felix Sabates to help get an expansion team, but he felt like the city wasn't particularly interested and were stringing him along solely to get a second tenant to help justify the expense of building a new arena for NC State men's basketball. He backed out, and a while later the Whalers moved south. Many of us felt the same thing was true of their situation–they were being used. I remember one of the local newspaper columnists referring to the new arena as Raleigh's "Penis Envy Arena"–Chapel Hill had built the Dean Dome, which was far bigger, newer, and nicer than Raleigh's Reynolds Coliseum, so his theory was that NC State wanted something similar out of jealousy (to be fair, Reynolds was ancient, but then so is Cameron Indoor Stadium). The Triangle isn't really a pro sports market and likely never will be.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Buck87

The Blue Jackets just had quite a run....a 16 game winning streak that is now the 2nd longest in NHL history.

They had a chance to tie the record (17 games by the 92-93 Penguins) but were shutout last night by the Caps.

Stephane Dumas

I spotted that clip showing the history of Seattle Hockey in 10 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BROy2xyt0ik

ET21

Since the Hawks and Lightning have been stinking a bit of late, I've been tuning to Maple Leaf games the past week since the Centennial. That young core is really fun to watch
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

epzik8

The Caps fell victim to the Jackets' streak last week, right? Right??????
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Alps

Quote from: epzik8 on January 10, 2017, 11:21:17 PM
The Caps fell victim to the Jackets' streak last week, right? Right??????
Not sure. I know the Rangers didn't.

CanesFan27

Hey 1995Hoo:

Did the Caps raise a banner for ending the Jackets streak?

ET21

Quote from: CanesFan27 on January 16, 2017, 12:35:36 PM
Hey 1995Hoo:

Did the Caps raise a banner for ending the Jackets streak?

Just like when the Blues raised a banner for finally beating the Hawks in a playoff series?  :bigass:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Desert Man

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on January 07, 2017, 02:18:51 PM
I spotted that clip showing the history of Seattle Hockey in 10 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BROy2xyt0ik

Seattle should been awarded a NHL team, but the decision for Las Vegas to get it is a good question. I thought Topeka, KS is a candidate...or Kansas City (Sprint Center on the KS side of the metro area). And how about Halifax, Nova Scotia in the Canadian maritimes? A NHL team in the Atlantic time zone then.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

coatimundi

Quote from: Desert Man on January 28, 2017, 10:10:48 PM
I thought Topeka, KS is a candidate...or Kansas City

No city's future shines so bright as that of Topeka, Kansas...

I have been to Topeka, and it's cute enough and there are some nice people. But you may as well send them to Wichita. That region is all about KU and, to a lesser extent, KSU (with KC being split between KU and Mizzou), and any sport in which they have a team (including ice hockey) is going to be too tough for any team - pro or otherwise - to compete with.

Pete from Boston

http://www.si.com/nhl/2017/01/30/new-york-islanders-barclays-center-host-home

Anyone want the Islanders?  In an unusual twist, the Barclays Center wants them out.

Buck87

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 31, 2017, 01:05:12 PM
http://www.si.com/nhl/2017/01/30/new-york-islanders-barclays-center-host-home

Anyone want the Islanders?  In an unusual twist, the Barclays Center wants them out.

Can they go back to the Nassau Coliseum?

jp the roadgeek

The optimistic side of me loves this.  The realistic side of me is reminded of the Patriots to Hartford saga:

http://www.wfsb.com/story/34421877/connecticut-making-a-play-for-the-ny-islanders
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 03, 2017, 03:09:03 PM
The optimistic side of me loves this.  The realistic side of me is reminded of the Patriots to Hartford saga:

http://www.wfsb.com/story/34421877/connecticut-making-a-play-for-the-ny-islanders

"Please!  Fleece us!  We're begging you!"

dvferyance

I never understood why KC can't get either an NHL team or NBA team. I would think the Sprint Center would attract somebody and it;s almost 10 years old now it's not that new anymore.

broadhurst04

Quote from: dvferyance on February 09, 2017, 11:08:50 AM
I never understood why KC can't get either an NHL team or NBA team. I would think the Sprint Center would attract somebody and it;s almost 10 years old now it's not that new anymore.

If memory serves, the Sacramento Kings (NBA) started in KC before they moved to CA. And there's already an NHL team in St. Louis. Perhaps the fan base for either sport just isn't there.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: broadhurst04 on February 09, 2017, 11:49:30 PM

If memory serves, the Sacramento Kings (NBA) started in KC before they moved to CA. And there's already an NHL team in St. Louis. Perhaps the fan base for either sport just isn't there.

And Kansas City had the Scouts for 2 years.  They became the Colorado Rockies, and are today's New Jersey Devils.

Buck87

If memory serves, the Sacramento Kings (NBA) started in KC before they moved to CA.

That franchise has played in 4 cities

Rochester Royals -> Cincinnati Royals -> Kansas City Kings -> Sacramento Kings

dvferyance

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 10, 2017, 01:49:16 AM

And Kansas City had the Scouts for 2 years.  They became the Colorado Rockies, and are today's New Jersey Devils.
Ok well Colorado got another hockey team so why couldn't KC? Like the Kings that was another move that made absolutely no sense. Why put another team in the NYC area when they already had 2 teams as it is? The Sprint Center is a nice facility that was built to attract an NBA/NHL team. Yet they keep talking about putting teams in cities that would have to build new arenas like Seattle.

broadhurst04

Quote from: Buck87 on February 10, 2017, 09:41:04 AM
If memory serves, the Sacramento Kings (NBA) started in KC before they moved to CA.

That franchise has played in 4 cities

Rochester Royals -> Cincinnati Royals -> Kansas City Kings -> Sacramento Kings

Thanks for filling in the blanks for me. :)

broadhurst04

Just because the building is there, doesn't mean the fan base and the revenue stream is. Otherwise, the NHL could have placed its recent expansion team in KC instead of Vegas, and the Sonics could have moved to KC instead of OKC. As to your question of why put another team in an area where there are already two like it: again, revenue. NYC is the largest metro area in the country, and also the largest TV market.

Desert Man

In Wikipedia's front page today:
... that the 1994 New Jersey Rockin' Rollers, led by Manon Rhéaume, defeated Erin Whitten and the Pittsburgh Phantoms, in the first professional roller hockey game with two women as goaltenders?
I thought this would work for March 1st, the first day of Women's History Month, but let's honor women in pro ice hockey (and roller hockey) any day (and every day).
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.