News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

There's an upcoming documentary coming on ITunes about the late California Golden Seals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKP1g9oauIQ

ET21

3 team race for the President's trophy: Hawks, Jackets, and Capitals. Division and wild card races are really heating up with 10-12 games left
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Buck87

Would love to see the Jacket's get the president's trophy....though I'm just happy to see that they have already clinched a playoff spot. Only the 3rd time they've done that. 

tribar

Quote from: ET21 on March 22, 2017, 09:40:08 AM
3 team race for the President's trophy: Hawks, Jackets, and Capitals. Division and wild card races are really heating up with 10-12 games left

Penguins are in it too.

dvferyance

Quote from: broadhurst04 on February 11, 2017, 09:32:50 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on February 09, 2017, 11:08:50 AM
I never understood why KC can't get either an NHL team or NBA team. I would think the Sprint Center would attract somebody and it;s almost 10 years old now it's not that new anymore.

Just because the building is there, doesn't mean the fan base and the revenue stream is. Otherwise, the NHL could have placed its recent expansion team in KC instead of Vegas, and the Sonics could have moved to KC instead of OKC. As to your question of why put another team in an area where there are already two like it: again, revenue. NYC is the largest metro area in the country, and also the largest TV market.
No city should ever have 3 teams even the largest. I am fine with the really big ones like NY and LA having 2 but 3 is too much for any city.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Buck87 on March 22, 2017, 11:37:45 AM
Would love to see the Jacket's get the president's trophy....though I'm just happy to see that they have already clinched a playoff spot. Only the 3rd time they've done that. 

It would be cool too but it's more cool to win the Stanley Cup. 

Alps

With three games left in the season and up by five points, the Maple Leafs suddenly remembered who they are and managed to lose against one of the teams that could still beat them for the last spot. Their last two games are against two of the best teams in the East. The Islanders actually have the clearest path to the playoffs. Oh, Toronto!

ET21

Clinched:

epzik8

My Caps locked up the Presidents Trophy, I think.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Alps

Quote from: epzik8 on April 07, 2017, 09:46:57 PM
My Caps locked up the Presidents Trophy, I think.
Shouldn't you be a Baltimore Blades fan?

Stephane Dumas

The Toronto Maple Leafs won against Pittsburgh and got the last ticket for the 8th rank in the Eastern Association. They'll go in playoffs. http://globalnews.ca/news/3365855/toronto-maple-leafs-look-to-reach-playoffs-for-the-second-time-in-12-seasons-saturday-night/

epzik8

Capitals-Maple Leafs in the first round. Also, seven other matchups that I haven't gotten word of.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

texaskdog

3 for 3 in fantasy hockey championships now, yay!

ET21

The playoffs begin!!

Clinched:

7/8

The Leafs scored, winning game 2 against the Capitals! (now the series is tied 1-1). Only 5 more games to go :spin:

Talk about a long game, but it was certainly exciting with lots of good saves from both goalies.

Stephane Dumas

I wonder who'll be the Cinderella team this year? If the Blues kick out the Wild and if the Chicago Blackhawks got eleminated by Nashville, then the Blues might have an easier playoff run than last year. Then on the East, the Toronto Maple Leafs wants to end their 50 year drought.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

We thank the Columbus Blue Jackets for participating in this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs.  :pan:
Maybe you'll get the Vezina (Best goalie) or Jack Adams (Coach of the year) Awards as parting gifts.
Also, more post season victories (3) than the *new* Cleveland Browns.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Buck87

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 20, 2017, 10:13:30 PM
We thank the Columbus Blue Jackets for participating in this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs.  :pan:
Maybe you'll get the Vezina (Best goalie) or Jack Adams (Coach of the year) Awards as parting gifts.

16 out of 30 teams make the playoffs....and yet the team with the 4th best overall record in the entire league gets rewarded by facing the 2nd best team in the first fucking round. Hell of a playoff system you got there Bettman.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 16, 2017, 10:45:05 PM
I wonder who'll be the Cinderella team this year? If the Blues kick out the Wild and if with the Chicago Blackhawks got getting eliminated by Nashville, then the Blues might have an easier playoff run than last year. Then on the East, the Toronto Maple Leafs wants to end their 50 year drought.

FTFY
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ET21

Quote from: Buck87 on April 20, 2017, 10:40:14 PM

16 out of 30 teams make the playoffs....and yet the team with the 4th best overall record in the entire league gets rewarded by facing the 2nd best team in the first fucking round. Hell of a playoff system you got there Bettman.

It screwed up the entire fromat, should have just left it with the 1-8 seeding system

Clinched:

Alps

Quote from: ET21 on April 21, 2017, 12:06:54 AM

It screwed up the entire fromat, should have just left it with the 1-8 seeding system
Blah blah blah gotta game the system. Rangers did it right this year.
Anyway, the best team wins. Hockey determines the best team by first determining the best team in each division (modulo the crossover wild card), then facing them off in successive rounds. That seems completely reasonable. If you don't like the crossover that's a different story, but given how NBA fans have been clamoring for it to avoid sub-500 playoff teams, I don't see it as a bad thing here.

ET21

Quote from: Alps on April 21, 2017, 06:51:32 AM

Anyway, the best team wins. Hockey determines the best team by first determining the best team in each division (modulo the crossover wild card), then facing them off in successive rounds. That seems completely reasonable. If you don't like the crossover that's a different story, but given how NBA fans have been clamoring for it to avoid sub-500 playoff teams, I don't see it as a bad thing here.

It's not really blah blah blah when you have some GMs questioning it too. You could end up where the top 4 teams are in the same division and end up with only one making it out alive. I'd rather see more conference matchups than divisional. Of course the seeding could give you the same result, but it at least mixes up the potential matchups amongst the entire conference

Clinched:

1995hoo

It's sort of a damned if they do, damned if they don't thing. People complained about the NBA-style system because it was widely felt that it didn't promote rivalries in the way the division-based system did back in the 1980s.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: ET21 on April 21, 2017, 09:12:59 AM
Quote from: Alps on April 21, 2017, 06:51:32 AM

It's not really blah blah blah when you have some GMs questioning it too. You could end up where the top 4 teams are in the same division and end up with only one making it out alive. I'd rather see more conference matchups than divisional. Of course the seeding could give you the same result, but it at least mixes up the potential matchups amongst the entire conference
One is going to make it out alive eventually, so who cares when?

amroad17

I understand the reasoning behind so many teams making the playoffs ($$,$$$,$$$) but wouldn't playoffs (in any major sport) be better with less teams in them?  The NFL has it near perfect with 12 out of 32 teams making the playoffs.  MLB has 10 out of 30 make the playoffs.  The NBA and the NHL have over half (16/30) make the playoffs--it's better than 16 out of 21 teams making the playoffs like the NHL did in the 1980's.  Maybe the NBA and NHL should have 12 teams make the playoffs.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.