News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Man

LOL! Caps vs Lightning in EC, so half of my predictions is wrong. The Golden Knights are awaiting an opponent in the WC, and let's see if the defending conference champs (the Predators) will return or not. Here's the defending champions (the Pens) defeated so easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv6ajX1HbW4
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Stephane Dumas

If the Caps beats the Lightning, it'll be their 2nd time they got to the Stanley Cup finals. They did it in 1998 as a Cinderella team and lost against Detroit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvl2lut-hwA

Edit: One more clip showing the Caps beating the Sabres in the Eastern conference final.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4d6qjVzASI

Stephane Dumas

It's the 1st time the Winnipeg Jets then they go to the Conference Finals, they'll face the Vegas Golden Knights.

Flint1979

I haven't followed hockey since the Dead Wings season ended.

ET21

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 10, 2018, 10:46:05 PM
It's the 1st time the Winnipeg Jets then they go to the Conference Finals, they'll face the Vegas Golden Knights.

Thank you for beating Nashville lol
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Stephane Dumas

Vegas eleminated Winnipeg, no Canadian team for the Stanley Cup final this year. :(

Buck87

Vegas is the first expansion team to reach the Stanley Cup Final since the 1967-1968 St Louis Blues (which was a season when literally half of the league was expansion teams and the playoff structure guaranteed one of them would make it)

oscar

Quote from: Buck87 on May 20, 2018, 09:36:16 PM
Vegas is the first expansion team to reach the Stanley Cup Final since the 1967-1968 St Louis Blues (which was a season when literally half of the league was expansion teams and the playoff structure guaranteed one of them would make it)

That reminds me of how the NFL responded in the 1990s when two expansion teams, the Carolina Panthers and the Jacksonville Jaguars, each reached (but lost) their respective conference championships in their second seasons. The lesson drawn from that was that the expansion draft and other rules for new franchises, while intended to make them competitive soon, perhaps overdid it. So the rules were changed to screw the next expansion franchises, the Houston Texans and the new Cleveland Browns.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

Oddity of NHL history: There have been three times a team from the NHL made the Stanley Cup Finals in its first year–the Toronto Arenas in 1918 (the league's first year), the St. Louis Blues 50 years later in 1968 (due to the way the expansion was structured), and now the Golden Knights 50 years later in 2018. I won't be around in 2068 to see it happen again.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 21, 2018, 09:10:10 PM
Oddity of NHL history: There have been three times a team from the NHL made the Stanley Cup Finals in its first year–the Toronto Arenas in 1918 (the league's first year), the St. Louis Blues 50 years later in 1968 (due to the way the expansion was structured), and now the Golden Knights 50 years later in 2018. I won't be around in 2068 to see it happen again.
How many teams will there be in 2068, is the question.

MisterSG1

In the league's first year, it's technically the first year of it being called the National Hockey League, before then, in the NHA the previous year, the Montreal Wanderers, Montreal Canadiens, and Ottawa Senators were carried over into the new NHL.

And just an aside, the Stanley Cup Final does NOT become the NHL Final until 1927, the winner of the NHL faced the winner of the PCHA or WCHL. Essentially kind of like a World Series of Hockey. Hence this is how Seattle won a Stanley Cup in 1917 but has never officially been in the NHL. The Toronto Arenas faced the Vancouver Millionaires for the Stanley Cup Final. The other league won the Stanley Cup just three times, 1915 was the Vancouver Millionaires, 1917 was the Seattle Metropolitans, and 1925 was the Victoria Cougars.

This year has really been an amazing year for the Golden Knights, what the Arenas and Blues did really doesn't compare to what the Golden Knights have just accomplished. The Arenas competed against 3 other teams before facing off against Vancouver, and one of the Expansion Six were guaranteed to reach the cup final anyway in 1968 involving the St Louis Blues.

Other than that, I may have to do my research, but off the top of my head, other than St Louis, in the modern NHL, the quickest trip from founding to Stanley Cup Final I believe was the Florida Panthers. Founded in the 1993-94 season, they would compete for the cup against Colorado in 1996 who incidentally were in their first year of the NHL as they were the relocated Quebec Nordiques (so this doesn't count for Colorado) Florida would lose the series and they've yet to win a playoff series yet...rats :D

Stephane Dumas

The winner of the Eastern Conference between Tampa and Washington will be known in Game 7 tomorrow (May 23).

1995hoo

OH HELL YES!!!!!!

Alps

1995hoo

Been waiting a long time for this night to come.

CAPITALS IN THE STANLEY CUP FINALS.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jmiles32

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 23, 2018, 11:44:01 PM
Been waiting a long time for this night to come.

CAPITALS IN THE STANLEY CUP FINALS.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

As a fan for the past ten years I never thought I'd ever get to see this. LETS GO CAPS!!!!!!
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

1995hoo

Heh. I've been a fan for 34 years now.

texaskdog

Quote from: Alps on May 21, 2018, 11:47:33 PM
Oddity of NHL history: There have been three times a team from the NHL made the Stanley Cup Finals in its first year—the Toronto Arenas in 1918 (the league’s first year), the St. Louis Blues 50 years later in 1968 (due to the way the expansion was structured), and now the Golden Knights 50 years later in 2018. I won’t be around in 2068 to see it happen again.

I would be 99 yikes

Henry

Quote from: oscar on May 20, 2018, 10:28:14 PM

That reminds me of how the NFL responded in the 1990s when two expansion teams, the Carolina Panthers and the Jacksonville Jaguars, each reached (but lost) their respective conference championships in their second seasons. The lesson drawn from that was that the expansion draft and other rules for new franchises, while intended to make them competitive soon, perhaps overdid it. So the rules were changed to screw the next expansion franchises, the Houston Texans and the new Cleveland Browns.
The soonest that an expansion team has reached the playoffs in the NBA is the 1966-67 Chicago Bulls, which was their inaugural season (and back then, the league was a third the size it is now). For MLB, it was the 1999 Arizona Diamondbacks, who qualified in only their second season (and two years later, they won the World Series by beating, of all teams, the New York Yankees!).

Quote from: texaskdog on May 24, 2018, 07:58:38 AM
Oddity of NHL history: There have been three times a team from the NHL made the Stanley Cup Finals in its first year—the Toronto Arenas in 1918 (the league’s first year), the St. Louis Blues 50 years later in 1968 (due to the way the expansion was structured), and now the Golden Knights 50 years later in 2018. I won’t be around in 2068 to see it happen again.

I would be 99 yikes
Shit, I will be 98!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

dvferyance

Quote from: Henry on May 24, 2018, 09:43:35 AM
Quote from: oscar on May 20, 2018, 10:28:14 PM

The soonest that an expansion team has reached the playoffs in the NBA is the 1966-67 Chicago Bulls, which was their inaugural season (and back then, the league was a third the size it is now). For MLB, it was the 1999 Arizona Diamondbacks, who qualified in only their second season (and two years later, they won the World Series by beating, of all teams, the New York Yankees!).

Quote from: texaskdog on May 24, 2018, 07:58:38 AM

I would be 99 yikes
Shit, I will be 98!
Just 86 for me so I could make it.

1995hoo

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kurumi

Should change thread name to HOCKEY, right? :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Bruce

It took 101 years for the other Washington to finally win Lord Stanley's Cup.

Alps

I am extremely disappointed that the crybaby Russian who makes others fight his fights and wears a ridiculous giant diaper every game gets to enjoy this. I would have been so much happier if they waited until he retired.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.