News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

The Grand Rapids Griffins, Detroit Red Wings farm team in the AHL had won their 1st Calder cup championship.
http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2013/06/grand_rapids_griffins_win_the.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Henry

The Boston Bruins now lead the series 2-1 over the Blackhawks, but as they say, it isn't over til the fat lady sings. So now I'm hoping for a Hawks win tonight in Game 4.

EDIT: The Hawks have tied the series at 2-2 with a 6-5 win at Boston. It is the first time since 2004 that the first four games of the Stanley Cup Finals have been split.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Henry

It's over! The Chicago Blackhawks are your new Stanley Cup champions...and it's the second straight year that a team from a previous home city won it (2012 Los Angeles Kings)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ET21

Quote from: Henry on June 25, 2013, 10:50:37 AM
It's over! The Chicago Blackhawks are your new Stanley Cup champions...and it's the second straight year that a team from a previous home city won it (2012 Los Angeles Kings)

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Desert Man

Congrats on the Blackhawks' 2nd Stanley Cup in 3 years! I know the Bruins won the 2011 cup... yet the Bruins aren't the same team they were. This season was shortened by the lockout, which meant a less strenuous move for the NHL's top teams to enter the postseason.

The NHL should bounce back to its' former glory after the lockout...whenever the commissioner Gary Bettman refocuses on traditional ice hockey fan bases again. He announced not long ago the Coyotes should relocate for another place next season. http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22550073/gary-bettman-says-coyotes-could-move-before-next-season Bettman was partly responsible for expansion of the sport in the sunbelt in the 1990s, while the league neglected small yet die-hard sports markets of Hartford, CT and Quebec city.

And back to my earlier discussion on the Roller Hockey International of 20 years ago, the Bullfrogs-L.A. Blades regional rivalry. I wanna see the Kings-Ducks rivalry to become more of a classic one in the NHL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3vG-4sFQqg
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

CanesFan27

It's ironic that an Anaheim Ducks fan says that the league needs to refocus on traditional hockey markets.

Roadmaestro95

Quote from: Mike D boy on June 30, 2013, 01:18:59 PM
Congrats on the Blackhawks' 2nd Stanley Cup in 3 years! I know the Bruins won the 2011 cup... yet the Bruins aren't the same team they were. This season was shortened by the lockout, which meant a less strenuous move for the NHL's top teams to enter the postseason.

The NHL should bounce back to its' former glory after the lockout...whenever the commissioner Gary Bettman refocuses on traditional ice hockey fan bases again. He announced not long ago the Coyotes should relocate for another place next season. http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22550073/gary-bettman-says-coyotes-could-move-before-next-season Bettman was partly responsible for expansion of the sport in the sunbelt in the 1990s, while the league neglected small yet die-hard sports markets of Hartford, CT and Quebec city.

And back to my earlier discussion on the Roller Hockey International of 20 years ago, the Bullfrogs-L.A. Blades regional rivalry. I wanna see the Kings-Ducks rivalry to become more of a classic one in the NHL.

Since he's making room for western teams because of (f***ing) realignment, maybe there should be a home for hockey in Seattle? Or put a team in Saskatoon?
Hope everyone is safe!

Brandon

Quote from: Roadmaestro95 on July 02, 2013, 04:31:58 PM

Since he's making room for western teams because of (f***ing) realignment, maybe there should be a home for hockey in Seattle? Or put a team in Saskatoon?

Personally, I'd suggest both.  Move the Coyotes to Saskatoon.  Move the Ducks to Seattle.  Why do we need to have two LA teams?  Ditto for moving the Islanders to Quebec and the Devils to Halifax.  Why do we need three NYC teams?  One team per market is enough.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Congrats on the Blackhawks' 2nd Stanley Cup in 3 years! I know the Bruins won the 2011 cup... yet the Bruins aren't the same team they were.

I don't think that's how it works.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Heraclitus
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on July 02, 2013, 05:08:29 PM

Personally, I'd suggest both.  Move the Coyotes to Saskatoon.  Move the Ducks to Seattle.  Why do we need to have two LA teams?  Ditto for moving the Islanders to Quebec and the Devils to Halifax.  Why do we need three NYC teams?  One team per market is enough.
Y'all ain't from around here. NJ has more than enough fans to support the Devils, and that lets the NY market be on its own.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Brandon on July 02, 2013, 05:08:29 PM

Do yourself a favor and look up Saskatoon Blues.  It's been tried

hotdogPi

Two questions about hockey:

1. Why do people love watching the fighting in hockey if it's not the point of the game, and there's even a penalty for it?

2. Why Toronto Maple Leafs and not Leaves?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

NE2

3. Why Georgia?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Big John

Quote from: NE2 on August 13, 2013, 07:48:07 PM
3. Why Georgia?
The NHL had 2 failed attempts there.  No need for a 3rd.

Alps

Quote from: 1 on August 13, 2013, 07:33:46 PM
Two questions about hockey:

1. Why do people love watching the fighting in hockey if it's not the point of the game
It's not?

signalman

1. Why do people love watching the fighting in hockey if it's not the point of the game, and there's even a penalty for it?
It may not be the point, but it's definitely a huge aspect.  Hockey is an aggressive sport, just by its nature.  Many feuds are formed both on and off the ice.  Then tempers flare, and fighting ensues.  I don't think the penalty is much of a deterent for the player.  It also excites the crowd.  It's like a NASCAR race.  Crashing isn't the point, but they sure do happen.  Fans go to races hoping to see a crash, although most hope the driver doesn't get hurt.

1995hoo

2. Why Toronto Maple Leafs and not Leaves?

There are two stories. One says the team is named after the Maple Leaf regiment that served in World War I and that because than name was a proper noun, they made the plural by adding an "s." The other says they shared the name with a minor league baseball team that was active, and quite successful, in the 1910s/1920s.

The team was originally named the Toronto Arenas and then the Toronto St. Patricks; they became the Maple Leafs in 1927 when Conn Smythe bought the franchise.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Stephane Dumas

EA Sports made the prediction for the 2014 NHL simulation champions in their game: St. Louis Blues
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/09/26/nhl-14-simulation-has-st-louis-blues-winning-stanley-cup-four-of-seven-canadian-teams-in-post-season/

Yeah right..... they was right on 2010 (Chicago), missed by that much (Vancouver in 2011, Boston won), completelely off the track for 2012 (LA Kings, EA predicted Pittsburgh) and 2013(Chicago, EA predicted NY Rangers).

ET21

Clinched:

Alps

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 27, 2013, 08:25:03 AM
EA Sports made the prediction for the 2014 NHL simulation champions in their game: St. Louis Blues
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/09/26/nhl-14-simulation-has-st-louis-blues-winning-stanley-cup-four-of-seven-canadian-teams-in-post-season/

Yeah right..... they was right on 2010 (Chicago), missed by that much (Vancouver in 2011, Boston won), completelely off the track for 2012 (LA Kings, EA predicted Pittsburgh) and 2013(Chicago, EA predicted NY Rangers).
I wouldn't call 2012 off track. Pittsburgh was in perhaps the best division I've ever seen hit the playoffs, and no one was able to come out alive. In 2013, the Rangers were really hurt by the strike, which I don't think EA took into account.

amroad17

Quote from: signalman on August 14, 2013, 03:43:58 AM
It may not be the point, but it's definitely a huge aspect.  Hockey is an aggressive sport, just by its nature.  Many feuds are formed both on and off the ice.  Then tempers flare, and fighting ensues.  I don't think the penalty is much of a deterent for the player.  It also excites the crowd.  It's like a NASCAR race.  Crashing isn't the point, but they sure do happen.  Fans go to races hoping to see a crash, although most hope the driver doesn't get hurt.
Quoting George Carlin, "Hockey is not a sport.  It's three activities going on at the same time.  You have skating, skaters hitting a puck with a stick, and fighting."  Rodney Dangerfield once said, "I went to the fights the other night and a hockey game broke out."

To me, hockey is an excellent sport.  One has to be very skilled to play this.  Sometimes fighting is necessary, after all, this is a very tough sport.  Compared to the 1970's and early 1980's, fighting during games today is a fraction of what used to go on.  In fact, in 1990 or 1991, there was an East Coast Hockey League game between the Greensboro Monarchs and the Hampton Roads Admirals in Greensboro, I believe.  The Admirals beat them 7-1 in a prior game, so when they met the next time, Greensboro had a goon at center for the opening face-off against one of the better players for the Admirals.  When the puck was dropped, the goon dropped his stick and gloves and slugged the Admiral center.  Needless to say, an incredible multi-player brawl ensued.  20 minutes later, order was restored with both teams combining for around 400 minutes in penalties one second into the match!  You sure would not see this today.  Now when two guys square off, the other players act like spectators at ringside.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

ET21

Opening night!!!!!!  :bigass:

Clinched:

1995hoo

Quote from: ET21 on October 01, 2013, 03:36:55 PM
Opening night!!!!!!  :bigass:

Even the US government is shutting down to watch the NHL tonight!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CanesFan27

For those that have tailgated with us before (Jeff, Brian P, Froggie, Doug, Steve) there's a new bigger tent this year, a few additions to the liquor table, and some new food items.

I think Steve's cornhole trickshot that he created last year will become something of a regular game.

Taking all day Friday off...and we're setting up at the arena at 1.  Heck, they aren't going to make the playoffs this year - Debbie Yow killed nearly all the Saturday home games - so gotta get any tailgate you can in right?

Henry

The Blackhawks open their title defense with a win over the Capitals. One down, 81 to go...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.